• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

New to site, having surgery in 1 week and have a high opiod tolerance

katiedid5090

Greenlighter
Hi, I am a 46 year old female and I am scheduled for a hip replacement surgery in one week. I need some advice on what pain meds to ask my Dr. for in order to control my post-surgery pain. I have a very high tolerance for pain medicine- as you will read below, Ive been on high amounts for many years.

I have had Rhumetoid Arthritis for more than 10 years and have been on many opiods since. Currently I am taking 180mg of oxycodone per day of Immediate Release 30mg oxycodone (6 pills per day) and 160 mg of oxycontin per day (2 pills of 80mg Ext Rls). Of course my tolerance is super high and I am worried about my post-op pain. I will see my pain mgt Dr. in a few days and need to ask him for specific meds to help me with my post-op pain. My questions are - what would you reccomend for my pain given that I am already on high doses of oxy? Would fentanyl be the best for me or should I ask for liquid morphine (the pills don't do anything for my pain)? Or is there anything else out there someone can suggest? My Dr is awesome and will help me but I need to know what to ask for so I don't get left with something that is insufficient..Any ideas?

Hi, Welcome to Bluelight ! !

I remember myself coming out of surgery with not enough pain meds when I was dependent. I do understand on some level. I'm glad your doctor is willing to work with you and aware of this.

I'm going to move your post to Other Drugs or Basic Drug discussion.

If the Oramorph works for you, I would go with that. Just make sure he gives you a sufficient dose. Otherwise I'd go with Fent patches for sure.

You'll be surprised at how little discomfort you'll be in following surgery. You'll receive plenty of morphine in hospital but once home many people chose not to live on painkillers as their discomfort is often far worse before surgery.

Hi, I am a 46 year old female and I am scheduled for a hip replacement surgery in one week. I need some advice on what pain meds to ask my Dr. for in order to control my post-surgery pain. I have a very high tolerance for pain medicine- as you will read below, Ive been on high amounts for many years.

I have had Rhumetoid Arthritis for more than 10 years and have been on many opiods since. Currently I am taking 180mg of oxycodone per day of Immediate Release 30mg oxycodone (6 pills per day) and 160 mg of oxycontin per day (2 pills of 80mg Ext Rls). Of course my tolerance is super high and I am worried about my post-op pain. I will see my pain mgt Dr. in a few days and need to ask him for specific meds to help me with my post-op pain. My questions are - what would you reccomend for my pain given that I am already on high doses of oxy? Would fentanyl be the best for me or should I ask for liquid morphine (the pills don't do anything for my pain)? Or is there anything else out there someone can suggest? My Dr is awesome and will help me but I need to know what to ask for so I don't get left with something that is insufficient..Any ideas?

I'd stay away from fentanyl. I have been in surgery and Fentanyl messed up with my opiates addiction and nothing would make it better. I mean, not even 20 pills of Methadone would be make the withdrawn go away, afterwards. I didn't take it for so long. But a strong dose on top of everything I was using

Talk to your doctor as smoky has suggested. That's how you'll get something you can take to handle the pain. Still, I believe there will be some level of pain in every surgery you make regardless of how much opiates you take. At least in the first days.

Good luck!

I had a very high tolerance with codien before my op a year ago and was worried about the same thing but the pain management team asked me about my opiate tolerance and I was honest with them and they did there best to make me comfortable
But on a downside I'm now almost completely hooked on 200 mg of oxycodone a day it's horrible and I wish I had just put up with the pain as it's very hard living with it