• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

New Temazepam script.

cannablissss

Bluelight Crew
So I got a script for 7.5mg Temazepam, to be taken once at bedtime for my insomnia issues. Benzos really help me with my anxiety but I haven't been prescribed my usual Clonazepam in a while so I have no recent benzo tolerance.

One doesn't do anything to me. I tried taking it at bedtime a few times, to no avail. I started to just take it during the day for my anxiety because it DOES have slightly relaxing properties to it. I can take up to four and not be tired, or anything. I'm confused because it's supposed to be longer acting than Clonazepam of Alprazolam... so why am I not falling asleep?

I've never been on Temazepam before but it's been two weeks and it seems to not be doing anything for me. Does anyone have any insight on Temazepam and if it's even a good sleep aide? Are there any natural medications (melatonin, perhaps) that would potentiate the Temazepam and help me fall asleep?

If not, I'd love to hear about a few other benzodiazepines. I only have experience with Klonopin, Xanax, and now this Restoril. Any inquiries are greatly appreciated, because I just want to sleep.

From one insomniac to another, the best thing you can do is take the shit your prescribed, take 50-100mg of melatonin, make sure no lights are on and think about soothing things.

Benzo addiction isn't worth risking over sleep insomnia. Just stick with the melatonin. Now the Temazepam should work if you give your body the right setting. It is a sleep aid, not a knock out pill. You have to let it work. Using it as a Xanax substitute probably isn't the best thing. Drug tolerance may occur... which is the opposite of what you want. Maybe try Unisom (diphenhydramine,something I've been recommending a lot tonight) in accordance with your melatonin, but don't take the Temazepam with the Unisom. Especially don't drink alcohol.

Keep in mind that when your body needs sleep it WILL get sleep. Whether your mind wants to or not.

Sweet dreams Cannabliss!

Last edited:
I appreciate your input. I'll have to purchase some melatonin with my upcoming check.

What I've been doing is turning all the lights off, shutting the door, I always sleep with my fan on and I turn my phone off so I'm not distracted. There's nothing else to do. I find myself staring at the ceiling for hours, typically until it reaches 4 in the morning. I was prescribed it because I tend to engage in more impulsive behavior at night, like online purchasing.

I'm not really addicted to benzos in a mental sense, and I've never had major wihdrawals from being without them. I just know that my emotions fluctuate more often and I get more irritable without them. My old psychiatrist did not wean me off of my script and took me off cold turkey. I don't think that matters, but benzos are really the only thing for my severe anxiety. Not sure about insomnia.

I've been on Trazodone, up to 100mg, taken off because it was ineffective. A couple of months ago I was prescribed Cloninidine 0.1mg to take up to twice if I needed to. My new doc took me off of it and replaced it with the Restoril.

Thanks for bringing up the diphenhydramine! You're not the first person to recommend it. I actually have a small bottle of generic allergy relief pills, for that good ol pollen season, that contain 25mg of Diphenhydramine. I'll try one of those with one Temazepam as prescribed.

Sorry that response was so long. I was just giving extra background info. Thanks again!

Hold on bud, you said your asshole psychiatrist just cold stopped you on a clonazepam prescription? He's a damn doctor he should know that is a dangerous and risky action to take on one's health...I hate psychiatrists

Stopping any benzodiazepines cold turkey is so dangerous, you need to get new shrink because that one doesn't know what the fuck he is doing or she is doing you can't stop taking benzos just like that can cause you to die so I suggest that you find you a new doctor and yes by the way I do have medical training

Hold on bud, you said your asshole psychiatrist just cold stopped you on a clonazepam prescription? He's a damn doctor he should know that is a dangerous and risky action to take on one's health...I hate psychiatrists

I personally got stopped on lorazepam. That sent my insomnia through the roof, but to my surprise no notable increase in paranoia. Like when I dropped Zoloft. The only other thing was usual anxiety and (quite oddly) hot flashes.

I don't understand why any doctor would cold stop someone who's been prescribed taken a benzo for a prolonged period of time, as opposed to titrating down lowering the dose over time, as I understand benzo withdrawal can be life threatening so can you or anyone please explain to me how a doctor could do such a thing? I have been prescribed 1mg a day Xanax for over a year now, even though I only take 1mg per day if my doctor cold cut off my script I know for a fact I would takeep my doctor on a hell ride with me

I have zero idea. My doc told me that it would be best if he took me off.

I didn't know anything about benzodiazepines at the time.

Well we have no idea of dose or duration other than regular. Seeing that as of a few hours ago cannablisss is still with us, it is probably safe to assume they are ok, no? It doesnt make her doctors action right but without info it is premature to say if benzo withdrawal was really a realistic possibilty. Can you fill us in canablisss on those details?

You are taking up to four times the scheduled dose of temazepam, which while still in the normal dosing range, means you will run out early. This is risky as well if you keep it up. If its not working at 30mg, it is unlikely more will so talk to your doctor about switching.

I'm hardly a fan of benzos for insomnia purposes. And seeing that Temazepam is a benzo, I'm very weary of it. Granted it isn't exactly like Alprazolam or Lorazepam, I still tend to lean towards DPH and Melatonin.

As I understand it, Temazepam is supposed to make you sleepy much faster by acting on GABA receptors in the brain, subsequently releasing GABA neurotransmitters to calm you down and induce sleepiness. As you already know, caffeine inhibits the GABA neurotransmitters from working. Lol, who knows. Maybe your Gamma-aminobutyric receptors are just outta wack.

Melatonin is a neurotransmitter esque natural hormone produced in the brain, binding with (GPCR receptor??) whatever it binds with to regulate night and day cycles, as well as get you tired and want to sleep.

And Diphenhydramine, being the belligerent 1st gen antihistamine that it is, jumps across the blood brain barrier and up the asshole of your hypothalamus, inhibiting ALL histamine neurons, not just the ones that cause the allergic reactions. One role that the histamines play is preventing sleep, as well as increasing alertness. As you can imagine, you get very drowsy when the histamines cannot do their job.

So as I see it, you've got a few good options. GABA, Melatonin, and Antihistamines (1st generation like DPH). And a combination of the three.

Last edited:
Benzos dont cause GABA release. They bind to the GABA-A receptor intesifying GABA's action but it must be present already. Study up, grasshopper. :)

So I got a script for 7.5mg Temazepam, to be taken once at bedtime for my insomnia issues. Benzos really help me with my anxiety but I haven't been prescribed my usual Clonazepam in a while so I have no recent benzo tolerance.

One doesn't do anything to me. I tried taking it at bedtime a few times, to no avail. I started to just take it during the day for my anxiety because it DOES have slightly relaxing properties to it. I can take up to four and not be tired, or anything. I'm confused because it's supposed to be longer acting than Clonazepam of Alprazolam... so why am I not falling asleep?

I've never been on Temazepam before but it's been two weeks and it seems to not be doing anything for me. Does anyone have any insight on Temazepam and if it's even a good sleep aide? Are there any natural medications (melatonin, perhaps) that would potentiate the Temazepam and help me fall asleep?

If not, I'd love to hear about a few other benzodiazepines. I only have experience with Klonopin, Xanax, and now this Restoril. Any inquiries are greatly appreciated, because I just want to sleep.

Ya know, if you would have asked me a few years ago i'd say sure take 5. But knowing what I know now about how insidious habit forming drugs can be (ESPECIALLY benzos), I'd advise you to err to the side of caution here.
I remember back when I was very young, not even out of highschool yet, i'd been experimenting with various pills etc...long story short, most of the time when you look thru somebody's medicine cabinet around here, you'll find Xanax or some other benzo. Needless to say I found quite a few Xanax and experimented with them, and at the time I think I must've liked them, at least somewhat. But even then, being completely benzo niave, i'd have to take 2 + milligrams to "feel something".
Long story short, managed to get Rx'd Lorazepam, and at that time (still in highschool) I was taking the pills after school probably, drinking some beer, smoking and just hanging with the bros like ya do at that age. Now I did that for a while, thinking "oh it's nice and relaxing, no hangover, and hell maybe it'll help my weed last longer...maybe I can mix my Adderall and have a functional benzo buzz?"

Long story short, I did the various benzos (mostly Xanax and Ativan) for, really not long at all...maybe every day-ish for NO MORE than 2 or 3 months, with LOTS of breaks when I ran out etc...
Now, they did help me sleep alright, but compared to other substances I've tried, my quality of sleep was garbage...odd isn't it?
Over time (literally over a matter of weeks) my tolerance rose, and more importantly, I was like a zombie during the day, even if I took Adderall, or weed (my long time favorite at that time) I was awake, the lights were on, but I wasn't home, there just wasn't much going on in my mind.

TLDR; Gonna cut to the chase, by December of that year, I remember being really depressed, even with plenty of Adderall, Ativan, and weed. I just had ZERO motivation, not even like I sometimes get from weed, I mean not a gram of motivation. Needless to say, I realized that it was, in fact, the Ativan(& half as often, booze mixed) sucking the life out of me.
It was around that time that I pretty well swore off benzos....I sat myself down, did sort of an assessment and I thought to myself: 1st. These pills don't make me feel better, they make me cold, tired, and depressed in every way. 2nd. I had gotten FAR AWAY from using them as prescribed, and basically took them anytime I wanted an escape, sort of. 3rd. I realized that the initial "problem" (anxiety, social esp..) was only a problem because I made it one, in my own mind...I realized that my feelings don't matter, but reality does.
So combining all that evidence, I wanted off...so when Refill day rolled around, I didn't get my refill, and I never really looked back. I remember having withdrawal once...it was a school night, I came home after smoking herb and drinking beer, ready to sleep. So I lay down In bed fell asleep for maybe 30minutes.
Then for the rest of the 6 hours that night, I literally tossed & turned worse than I ever have before, or since (even my currently rather-frequent opioid withdrawals don't affect sleep like THAT did!), and I remember my back killing me...IDK why at the time...didn't think it was withdrawal, but needless to say that was one of the least restful nights of my life, tossing turning, aching, stupid dreams where you dream that your tossing and turning and aching!!

After all the benzos left my system though, things got a lot better for me, I finally got back to sleeping just fine.

Nowadays the only time I have any desire to use any kind of benzodiazepine is in opiate withdrawal, just to relax my muscles and get some sleep...or if I have stuff to do during WDs i'll take a NDRI to MAKE me go, and the benzo to hold me together, as it were.
But if you wanna know the best part, even in the midst of some pretty hefty opiate withdrawals, I don't remember ever taking more than, at most 1.5mg of Ativan a day.
Why??
They make me Cold & tired...my opiates make me warm & energetic..so I guess if I've gotta have a monkey on my back the choice is obvious no??
Though if I did just want to sleep all the time....benzos would be my DOC for sure!!

TLDR; of all the things you could be dependent on drugs to do, sleeping should be the LAST on that list. Even though my blossoming benzodiazepine habit turned out well, had a happy ending, if you will...just be careful. Can benzos be used safely for sleep? YES, but IF AND ONLY IF you follow your prescription to a T.
Drug abuse is insidious, especially with benzos..in that before you realize that you are habituated, you're already, in fact, dependent.
At least with say Heroin, or Meth, you're gonna KNOW right off the bat, "hey this could be addictive", but I think the Benzodiazepines are much, much more subtle...they may not get you "high" like more typical dopaminergic drugs, but the sure as shit WILL get you HOOKED.

P.S. I once found a bottle of Restoril, back when I still fucked with random drugs, lol, I think they were 15mg caps, and I took maybe at least 4 one evening...don't remember any really discernable effects, other than incredibly subtle benzo calm. But compared to something like say, XANAX, yeah I seriously doubt restoril is going to give you that classic Benzo-type buzz....if that's what your looking for.
If you really are trying to get to sleep, i'd say your namesake CANNABIS would be hands down the best bet...pharmaceuticals can't fix everything, neither can drugs in general, I only recommend the weed because it WORKS, especially in moderation.

If you've had anxiety from marijuana, taking 1 ONE 7.5mg restoril an hour or 3 before you smoke would probably do wonders in preventing that, and thus rendering you cozily unconscious underneath your covers....I love a good bedgasm don't you folks? Doesn't happen as often anymore, but once in a while....ohhhhhweee baby I feel one coming on tonight...around 4:20 am getting to bed early whoo!

ALright i'm done rambling now, good luck getting to sleep OP, honestly if weed don't do it, I seriously doubt anything will, unless it's anxiety related, perhaps...Godspeed.

take 50-100mg of melatonin
50 to 100 mg of melatonin is pretty high and can possibly make a person sick. Cannabliss, ask your doctor if this is safe for you to take. Also, you said in your second post that your doctor took you off clonidine and replaced it with temazepam right?

Melatonin sickness? I have to take at least 75mg before feeling tired, but I guess I shouldn't recommend that high a dose. I just know how aggravating inability to sleep is.

50 to 100 mg of melatonin is pretty high and can possibly make a person sick. Cannabliss, ask your doctor if this is safe for you to take. Also, you said in your second post that your doctor took you off clonidine and replaced it with temazepam right?

Yeah, I was getting 0.1mg of Cloninidine pills to take to twice at bedtime, but it wasn't doing anything. The new psych doc took me right off of it and gave me the Temazepam. So.

To respond to most of the above replies, it has been months since my previous doc stopped me cold turkey from both Klonopin and Xanax. That is one of the main reasons why I stopped seeing her. I was put on Neurontin 300mg to take up to three times a day because I was informed I was at risk for seizures. I stayed on the medication for months, a while later she claimed she was keeping me on it to mellow out my anxiety. Well that didn't work.

I don't think I ever mentally managed how to go without benzos since my previous doc stopped. I'm also prescribed Zanaflex 2mg and Flexeril 10mg for back spasms at night as well. They don't do anything, even when taking more than one. I don't know what it is.

Kittycat, I'm just going to ride it out with one a night and change it at the next appointment.

Melatonin sickness? I have to take at least 75mg before feeling tired, but I guess I shouldn't recommend that high a dose. I just know how aggravating inability to sleep is.
In adults, melatonin is taken in doses from 0.2 mg to 20.0 mg, based on the reason for its use. The right dose varies widely from one person to another. Talk to your doctor to learn the right dosage and to find out if melatonin is right for you.

In adults, melatonin is taken in doses from 0.2 mg to 20.0 mg, based on the reason for its use. The right dose varies widely from one person to another. Talk to your doctor to learn the right dosage and to find out if melatonin is right for you.

My next appointment isn't until June. I was trying to find something until then, but I'll wait. No matter how much sleep I get, it's amazed that I can wake up early for my classes still. For the most part. I've been failing a lot because of my insane sleeping habits.

I'm hardly a fan of benzos for insomnia purposes. And seeing that Temazepam is a benzo, I'm very weary of it. Granted it isn't exactly like Alprazolam or Lorazepam, I still tend to lean towards DPH and Melatonin.

As I understand it, Temazepam is supposed to make you sleepy much faster by acting on GABA receptors in the brain, subsequently releasing GABA neurotransmitters to calm you down and induce sleepiness. As you already know, caffeine inhibits the GABA neurotransmitters from working. Lol, who knows. Maybe your Gamma-aminobutyric receptors are just outta wack.

Melatonin is a neurotransmitter esque natural hormone produced in the brain, binding with (GPCR receptor??) whatever it binds with to regulate night and day cycles, as well as get you tired and want to sleep.

And Diphenhydramine, being the belligerent 1st gen antihistamine that it is, jumps across the blood brain barrier and up the asshole of your hypothalamus, inhibiting ALL histamine neurons, not just the ones that cause the allergic reactions. One role that the histamines play is preventing sleep, as well as increasing alertness. As you can imagine, you get very drowsy when the histamines cannot do their job.

So as I see it, you've got a few good options. GABA, Melatonin, and Antihistamines (1st generation like DPH). And a combination of the three.

Caffeine is an adenosine antagonist, not a gaba antagonist.

Temazepam binds to the GABA-A apha 1 > 3 > 2 > 5 subunit and it increases the frequentie of opening (thus allowing more Cl- influx mediated hyperpolarization) upon activation by two GABA molecules.

Plain GABA supplementation is useless as it does not cross the BBB.

coming from a person who suffers from insomnia as well, let me give you my imput. i as well have been previously prescribed temazepam because of all the hype it had to help people sleep. its more of an extended release type of benzo. if you didnt notice, its one of the few benzos that are in a time released capsule. that being said, i tried 30 mg of it several times with no positive outcomes. i still woke up in the middle of the night and before i fell asleep i didnt feel anything from the drug.

i then went on to ask my doctor for something that can knock me out, he prescribed me xanax becasue it has a much shorter half life than other benzos so you dont wake up groggy. however, i feel like i have become tolerant to xanax now so i am also looking for something else to help with the insomnia.