• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

New perspective on molly vs pills

Krikman666

Greenlighter
First of all, i would like to say that i know this topic was covered several times, but i'm interested in a specific aspect, not the usual "what's the difference?"

So, i know that most of you agree that pill's effects somewhat differs from those of powder (why?...idk). But my question is: Is the happiness, euphoria and overall feeling so different between the listed two? And also, do you atributte the lack of energy from molly to the setting ( or to a subjective variable anyway) or to some actual different chemistry?

thanks for responses and please do not rush to close this thread as the info requested is not available somewhere else.

So, i know that most of you agree that pill's effects somewhat differs from those of powder

I don't agree.

We've had these threads before and they usually derail into some ridiculous discussion but I'll keep this open for the time being. The bottom line is that MDMA is MDMA whether it's in a crystal or in a pill. Adulterants might change the experience between powder and pills but MDMA will always be MDMA.

I'd say the notion of pills differing from capped crystal might have started when it was much less likely to receive an MDMA pass-off in crystal form, while pressed pills have always been easy to adulterate.

These days we've got a whole handful of RCs that are being passed off as MDMA....and a lot of them will be crystalised in a gel cap.

Though yes as JWillis said - MDMA is MDMA. End of story. If the effects differ, then it wasn't the MDMA - it was either whatever adulterant was in your pill/cap with the MDMA, or you didn't take MDMA at all.

I've never had MDMA pills before only crystal/powder, but I think generally it's just that two scenarios are likely to occur: people take pills with stuff other than MDMA in and then take MDMA powder and notice a difference, or people take pills of MDMA and then a powder that's methylone/RCs or MDMA + something, then notice a difference. These people start these discussions of 'why are pills different to powder?'. People that take both and notice no difference would never bring it up cause why would they.

Also I think pills are probably just more likely to have other stuff in like a bit of amphetamine or MDA or something just to improve the high, as pills are more of a 'product' and it seems sensible from the manufacturer's POV to adjust their particular press by adding certain things so that it's more popular, i.e gives a better effect for people going out and taking MDMA while clubbing etc, as I personally find MDMA quite relaxing and chilled out.

MDMA is MDMA, if you get pure MDMA whether it's pill or powder it's always gonna be the same. Although I've always wondered how the ratio of R isomer to S isomer affects it? Surely every synthesis is never gonna yield an EXACT ratio of 50/50 of each? (I don't know too much about the chemistry of this but that's a guess). Cause I know each batch of MDMA powder I've had has definitely been slightly slightly different in its feel

So, i know that most of you agree that pill's effects somewhat differs from those of powder (why?...idk).

nope. there is absolutely no difference (except for powder hitting a bit faster - just like crushed up pills) if both are free from contaminants.

There are a number of factors that could contribute to a slightly different experience. I think in this case the most important difference is that people tend to dose crystal MDMA differently, at least over here. Rather than taking say 150mg at once, like with a decent pill, they take small 'dips' until they get where they want to be. This makes for quite a different experience. What could also be a factor is that if you have pills that were lab tested and contain 150mg, you are taking 150mg of pure MDMA plus added fillers and binders. However crystals, like pills, are often cut with some inactive filler, which means that by taking 150mg you might not actually be taking 150mg of pure MDMA. MDMA is MDMA though, as was already said, it doesn't matter what form it's in. Pills are pressed from crystals as well, so not only is it the same chemical, it's even in the same form

MDMA is always racemic (50/50) by the way. To change the ratio in favor of either r- or s-isomer you would need to perform extra steps after synthesis, which are very complicated and take specialized equipment

Last edited:
Although I've always wondered how the ratio of R isomer to S isomer affects it? Surely every synthesis is never gonna yield an EXACT ratio of 50/50 of each? (I don't know too much about the chemistry of this but that's a guess). Cause I know each batch of MDMA powder I've had has definitely been slightly slightly different in its feel

it's the other way round. there no way you're getting anything but a ratio of exactly* 50/50, unless you put a lot of effort into the process to seperate the two.

*well, no exactly for a "mathematical" definition but definitely by chemical standard. if we have say 10000 more molecules of the r isomer in 2g of mdma it's going to be in the order of magnitude of 50.000000000000001/49.999999999999999.

i feel like when u pop a bean...it hits all at once like a bomb...i love it...where as eating strait crystal or powder it dissolves prolonged through your system...thats just me though...