• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

New Lyrica user and can't pee!!

FLGirl616

Greenlighter
First off, I'm news to BL and hope I'm posting in the right place! Of not, I'm sorry!

Ok, so today I didn't take my Vicodin and in the morning I took 700mg of Lyrica and took another 700mg around 6:00.i feel very motivated and my pain is minimal. YAY! I have one problem though; I CANNOT pee!! I have to, my bladder is most definitely full. I just sat and tried for about 10 minutes. I turned the sink water in to a trickle hoping that would help me go. No such luck. I turned the water in warm and put my fingers under it. Still nothing! Does anyone else experience this? And if so, do you have any suggestions as to how I can get some relief?? Help!! Lol! Thanks in advance for any responses! DJ

Have someone tickle you until you pee? Seriously though, I run into this issue with hydromorphone. It sucks, and I still haven't figured out a solution that doesn't involve waiting. Wish I could be of more help

Ps...I'm DJ too! Lol.

Thanks for the response DJ! I did end up getting a little trickle put a deposit didn't feel so "full". Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep trying!

Take a warm shower and just piss on yourself...

Works for me with anything that monkey-wrenches my piss tube...

Difficulty urniating while taking lyrica is a side effect I know a few people who take lyrica and/ gabapentin and have the same issues
you can either wait it out or head to the er if the urge to pee turns into pain after the drug has wore off so they can outfit you with a catheter

This is a side effect that needs to be mentioned the doc who have you the lyrica
You can also try a lower dose see if that helps
I bet money on the dose it can be a bit to much although it's helping it can causes issues elsewhere

But I can tell you right now, other than that this to me is much stronger than Gabi.

Incomplete bladder emptying is common with muscle relaxants, opiates, antihistamines, anticholinergics, and many other drugs. It is typically dose dependant so decreasing your dosage, if possible, is a good place to start. Here are a few tips for dealing with urinary retention without medical intervention:

*Stay hydrated. Reducing your intake of fluids will only make retention worse in the long run. Your urine should be light yellow, not dark.

*Avoid caffeine/stimulants. These can irritate the bladder and increase retention.

*Manage constipation. Another common side effect of the above mentioned drugs is chronic constipation. A full or partially full bowel can exert pressure on the bladder and make fully emptying difficult. Increasing fluids, fiber, and activity can all help with constipation but most need a laxative regularly to fully evacuate the bowels.

*Try different positioning techniques to encourage bladder emptying. Here's a short video that shows a few simple ones. https://youtu.be/srX7u69aL3E

*Try the crede maneuver. This is basically done by pressing down with your hands in steady strokes from belly button to pubic bone multiple times. Firm, even pressure works best.

*If hand pressure is not enough, there are more advanced physiotherapy techniques available. Lying with your torso face down against a low table, counter, stools, etc. and bringing your knees up to compress your bladder is one method.

*If you cannot void at all in 24hrs or you begin to have intense lower abdominal pain seek immediate medical attention. The urine will backflow into the kidneys causing infection and/or kidney damage. At this point catheterization is usually required.

*For continued bladder health, perform pelvic muscle exercises daily. Kegels are your friend. Not only will they help with urinary retention and incontinence, they also increase sexual enjoyment and orgasm, for both men and women.

Thank you for posting this great information. I have peeing issued due to meds myself. So I'm on this.

Hey, best thing to do it sit in a warm bath, my disabled son suffers peeing issues and this helps every time. The bladder automatically empties when in warm water, good luck

I had the same problem. My neurologist said it was not possible, that it does not cause that, nor does gabapentin. I would get really bad edema in my face, legs (upper) and hands. Just retention in general. They said that the water retention is common but that it does not cause urinary retention. I could do 75mg 2x, maybe 3x per day but anything further, as in if I took 4, I would shut down completely. Even at 75mg 2x per day and 3x per day, things were not right. I could urinate but it wasn’t normal, low flow, always had the bulge in the abdomen, holding some retention. Never felt fully empty.

Anyways, unfortunately, there are no ways of managing it that I have ever heard of and I have done a ton of research.

PLEASE NOTE!

I was/am on several meds. If you are on other medications, quite often, it is the combination of two agents that will cause this. For example. I was on Morphine for 2 weeks following a surgery while taking just 75mg of Lyrica twice per day and it shut me down completely.

So if you are experiencing urinary retention with Lyrica and are on a stack of meds, as people often are, it can be due to the stack and combo. You may be fine taking the one med like Lyrica on its own but if you are taking say, an SSRI, a benzo and Lyrica, it just may be too much as SSRI’s and benzodiazepines have Anticholinergic effects (mild but there). Anticholinergics are known to possibly cause urinary retention as well. So you get a couple Anticholinergics and Lyrica on top, it may just tip you over the edge. It is a very frustrating problem and if this is the case, it takes a lot of trial and error with your Doctor of reducing or trying to take away certain medications in order to be able to take other medications etc.

I just wish this was listed as a possible side because I think it is more common than people think. I think it has to do with Lyrica’s effects on the Calcium and Sodium Channels. Read into it if you are interested in the science.

Good Luck to all!

Can’t pee, seems to be an ongoing problem with drug taking. I am in Lyrica withdrawal due to horrid side effects of the drug. Part of the withdrawal is anxiety so I’ve been self medicating during the day with Restorilwhich I am supposed to take at night only. And, I could not pee. Thanks Lost Soul for informing me it’s probably the Restoril (temazepam), is it a “benzo”? In the meantime I figured out a way for females to force pee. Get the biggest pee pads you can find, stick one in your underwear, stand barefooted on the bathroom floor looking at the toilet then gently press on the pad. By then the warm wet pad will take care of the rest, rather like sitting in a warm bath as one here suggested.