• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

New job in a new city or continue education??

Samuelg

Bluelighter
Hello, so i have a conundrum and i figured why not ask for peoples input here.
I'm 21, in the UK currently doing an HEFC which is a year long thing for people who failed a-levels to get to uni. I live in a small town filled with a lot of people that don't like me and very few friends. I've got another year at college before university. I've wanted to study marine sciences for a long time so thats why i'm continuing this crappy course.

I've just been offered a job in London as a server admin, networking isn't my strongest point of computing, but i studied it briefly. I'm fairly sure i could do it anyhow. It has the added appeal of being a new start in a huge city. I'd also be moving out of my parents house rather than spending another year here. Its not great pay but enough to live on ok-ish

What do you guys think i should do?

You say that you have a year left, and the program is a year long? Have you even started it yet? Can you start it at any time? Can you get the quality of job offer that you have received often?

If you have always wanted to be a marine scientist then stick out the rest of your year in college so that you are not denied a university program. The tech job sounds like it would be good money but is not really what you want to do with your life. I always try to balance long term and short term satisfaction when trying to make a decision like this. I can see it would be tempting if you are not happy where you are.

I know it's a couple weeks old, but anyway........

I live in London and trust me londers earn a lot more money than any where else in the country, it's a fact. Taking a job in London would be a good thing for the money and the next opportunity that comes along. Not putting anywhere else in uk down but London has much more of everything to offer.

Why not make the move and do school part time?

I moved out of the small town I lived in ASAP because I couldn't stand it but that's just me :p

Have you looked into transferring to a different school in London like Abra mentioned?

I really wouldn't know what to do in your situation. I'm quite impulsive, so I'm not the best to dish out advice lol.