• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Hampshire Pot Advocate To Appeal 81-Year Jail Sentence For Selling Marijuana

poledriver

Bluelighter
New Hampshire Pot Advocate To Appeal 81-Year Jail Sentence For Selling Marijuana

A New Hampshire marijuana advocate plans to appeal his 81-year prison sentence for selling weed.

According to Vice, Rich Paul refused plea deals when he was charged with four counts of delivery of marijuana (about a pound, according to CopBlock.org) and one count of delivery of LSD. Paul claims the drug was not exactly LSD, but rather a legal chemical compound.

He said that when he was arrested for selling drugs to a confidential informant, he was taken to an FBI agent, Philip Christiana, who attempted to recruit Paul as an informant. Paul says they wanted to put a wire on him when he went to meetings for a local political group. Paul also claims the FBI wanted him to lie to his friends about the arrest and encourage them to commit crimes.

He refused to help the FBI and instead went public about the incident, posting it on his Facebook. He even admitted to trying to sell marijuana to an FBI informant on multiple occasions.

Before his trial started, he was offered a plea deal with no jail time, but refused on a matter of principal.

“Somebody had to stand up and say that this is wrong, and I thought I might well be that guy,” Paul told Vice in an email. “I took the risk and now we'll find out whether I bet my life well.”

He was hopeful the jury would nullify his marijuana charges. Instead he was sentenced to 81 years in prison.

“I wasn’t shocked,” he told Vice from jail. “Jury nullification is a long shot.”

Nullification involves being acquitted even though the jury believes the defendant is guilty of the charges against them. This happens if the jury disagrees with the charges or thinks the law does not apply in this particular case.

Paul plans to file an appeal with the New Hampshire Supreme Court because he believes the judge misled jurors on what nullification is.

Judge John C. Kissinger allegedly didn’t touch upon the subject of jury nullification when he instructed the jury, according to the antigovernment activist organization Free Keene. It seems jurors were unclear on the concept. One juror told Free Keene, “We didn’t want to break the law” by handing over a not guilty verdict.

If Paul manages to overturn the verdict, he will set a New Hampshire precedent that will ensue juries are fully informed about jury nullification.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...peal-81-year-jail-sentences-selling-marijuana

This is a pretty depressing story.

New Hampshire's motto:

nh_license_plate2.jpg

^ that is really funny!

If Paul manages to overturn the verdict, he will set a New Hampshire precedent that will ensue juries are fully informed about jury nullification.
This is about the coolest thing I have heard this week. %)

well you can't really knock him standing up for what he believes in

but he's probably going to be doing a lot of standing up in prison as a result

the great Pot Paradox of our country right now

one state you can have a website listing your wares and store hours

another state you go to jail for 81 years

'Murica

What a crazy place you can legally sell it in one state cross the border into another state which might only be a few miles from your home state & you'd face possibility of 81 years prison fucked up !!!
well you can't really knock him standing up for what he believes in

but he's probably going to be doing a lot of standing up in prison as a result

the great Pot Paradox of our country right now

'Murica
Us Ausies call it 'Merica, yo or if talking about americans in the singular yanks - it is often thought that it comes from yankies beingfrom northern states but Ausies started it after WW2 when we had lots of U.S. servicemen on the way back from the pacific & it came from rhyming slang yank - septic tank - so it's either seppo's or yanks. Sorry way off topic there.

Here in Norway, a 38 year-old man got 1 year in jail for raping his 9 year-old son. Compare that to 81 years in jail for selling weed... and that's just one of the things that are wrong with the world.

81 years. So some people might get stoned and get the munchies. So the fuck what?

Ridiculous.

^It must be nice to live in a country that actually has a real culture, as opposed to the emptiness of corporate fueled consumerism, which is at the heart of American culture. Although, giving a guy 1 year for raping his own son seems a bit light! Still, they have no problem handing you a life ruining sentence for the one mistake you made here, particularly for drugs...

What's funny about the laws in the US; They differ from state to state, sometimes drastically, and nobody really knows for sure what the laws are in every state. What's stranger than that is: Despite each state having their own unique laws and criminal justice system, there's federal law that overrides everything! Depending on what particular agency charges you with the crime determines how much time you'll do even if it's the same place. In some places, you have Federal, State, county and local police all trying to bust people in the same "turf"! Is that really necessary?

Paul says they wanted to put a wire on him when he went to meetings for a local political group.

Oh reaaally... Would love to hear more about this as last time I checked political activity isn't automatically illegal and thus something that the police would need to eavesdrop on.

'Murica

Feels good to be living on the former state. 'murka.

Here in Norway, a 38 year-old man got 1 year in jail for raping his 9 year-old son. Compare that to 81 years in jail for selling weed... and that's just one of the things that are wrong with the world.

To be fair, you'd probably only get 1 year in the US for raping your own child too. :\

I wish violent offenders got real long sentences, and that we might consider ending the war on drugs just to clear up space in the system for violent offenders (the people who need to be there).

Wow. Seems like a hefty sentence. Hope this person gets some kind of reduction on appeal. Puritanical new england states.

Seems unfair but whoami?

Article doesnt really say quantities though. Maybe they have some crazy mandatory minimum guidelines for sentencing. Arrrgh. NH is a pretty state though. Wouldnt wanna live there. Grew up calling it cow hampshire. Running joke was more cows than people. Sorry to you new hampshire residents, no disrespect meant.

damn first he refuses the plea deal, then he makes statements against himself to make sure he gets found guilty. what a stupid fuck.

there's more important shit in life than advocating for weed.

not that i think he should spend a day in jail or probation or that what he did should even be against the law.

This world is a fucked up place :(
I would of posted bail and hopped the border.... well at least attempted to.