• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction New! - Cold Water Extraction Mega Thread & FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is ASA?

and it's generally best to use no more than 50-100mL of water for cwe's, pending how much you're extracting of course.

i think the figure is around 1.2mL per 1 pill of codeine/apap.

ASA is aspirin (Acetylsalicylic Acid). That volume of water is generally okay though I'd say 100ml is at the uppermost amount; less is always healthier. Any specific volume per pill doesn't make much sense as you can fit >1g of codeine in 1ml of water!

edit:
no i didn't mention the tabs having 15mg of codeine in them anywhere in my post, it was in the quote i was replying to. you;re right, 12.5mg is the max in OTC products. you can get prescriptions for 30/500mg codeine/apap mixes or pure 30mg codeine tabs.

you never answered my question, what is ASA?
I was speaking with The-Future. The up arrow was at him. You posted while I was writing :D

Last edited:
^These mix-ups are the fault of these damn mega threads with multiple conversations going on at once. What we need is for mods to spend 20 hours a day micro-managing thousands upon thousands of small repetitive threads. And a bijillion dollar server which can support instantly searching and loading them all. So simple eh. :!

ha, you're dreamin, pal;)

mega threads are great, though a lot of members disappear. sure some conversations get mixed up but searching for keywords within the thread is where it's at when you're looking for something specific.

but hey, if you wanna start paying us to do our job i'd be up for micro-managing...a little;)

This is a thread for the collection of Cold Water Extraction techniques, and discussion on the viability and safety of these methods. We get a few threads on this process, so I figured it would be good to have a source for this information in the one place.

Cold Water Extraction FAQ – Mr Blonde

What is a Cold Water Extraction (CWE)?

In the context of this website, a Cold Water Extraction is a method used to separate compounds that are mixed together by using their difference of solubility in water. Common examples of medicines that this may be performed on is Tylenol #3 (Aspirin, Codeine, + Caffeine in Canada), or Nurofen + (Codeine, Ibuprofen), or Vicoden (hydrocodone, Acetaminophen).

Why do people perform a CWE?

Simple reason; they are taking large amounts of the medication in question for whatever reason to gain the effects/benefits of one active ingredient (e.g. hydrocodone), or taking this medication long-term in large amounts, however at the same time they are putting themselves at risk of physical harm through the ingestion of large amounts of the combo ingredient (e.g. acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc…). A cold water extraction is a simple way to separate the water soluble compound from the relatively non-water soluble compounds we do not want, e.g. hydrocodone will dissolve in room temperature water but acetaminophen won’t to the same extent, allowing us to easily separate them.

Is a CWE illegal?

In the case of hydrocodone or codeine containing preparations, in most jurisdictions this procedure is illegal. For example, in Australia codeine mixed with acetaminophen or ibuprofen is either schedule II up to a 24-sized pack, schedule III for a 48-size pack or greater and schedule IV if the dose of codeine is 30mg. If the medication is codeine only, the schedule is VIII, the highest Rx schedule category in Australia. By performing a CWE, you are removing the combination ingredient and are left with mostly the codeine. This could then be considered a schedule VIII drug, and thus illegal to possess without a script.

So, why is discussion of this technique allowed?

Quite simple; a CWE is avoiding the harm that could come about were people to ingest large amounts of acetaminophen (APAP) or aspirin or ibuprofen or other combo ingredients. Examples:

APAP: Overdose is associated with liver damage caused by the liver being unable to process the toxic metabolite of APAP, N-acetyl-p-benzo-quinone imine (NAPQI). When you ingest APAP, it normally gets converted to inactive metabolites with only a small amount becoming NAPQI. Usually this toxin is then conjugated by the liver tripeptide glutathione. When very large doses of APAP are taken, the liver is unable to process the amount of the drug and therefore more NAPQI is produced, and the liver is unable to conjugate it. This toxin causes liver failure. The antidote for NAPQI is acetylcysteine, however if you believe you have taken a toxic dose of APAP it is best to seek medical attention. A single dose of 10 grams or 200mg per kilogram of body mass can be toxic, and multiple smaller doses in a period of 24 hours can also be toxic. Using APAP in normal doses everyday has been shown to cause increases in liver function tests of up to three fold.

Aspirin: Large doses or continuous use can cause gastrointestinal bleeding, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hyperthermia, seizures, cerebral edema and comas. Most deaths from aspirin overdose are due to pulmonary edema. Aspirin can be toxic at 150mg/kg of body mass, and is considered lethal at above 500mg/kg. Although this sounds like a lot of aspirin, similar toxicity can occur with above-average-use spread out over a period of time. If you believe you may have overdosed, seek medical attention.

Ibuprofen: Overdose can cause nausea, stomach pains, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus and nystagmus (rapid eye-wobbles you may be familiar with if you have used MDMA), seizures, hypotension, tachycardia, hepatic and renal failure, cardiac arrest and death (though deaths from ibuprofen are relatively rare compared to APAP and aspirin). Toxic effects of this substance are considered to begin around 100mg/kg of body mass. If you believe you have overdosed on this substance, you should seek medical attention.

So, how do you perform a CWE?

There are a few different techniques used to perform a CWE; the aim of this thread is to collate them so that they aren’t all just floating around the place, and so that people can discuss their methods, viability, possible safety issues, etc.

Solubility in Room Temperature:

APAP: Roughly 1 gram per 100ml at room temperature; around 0.1-0.5 grams per 100ml if the temperature is lowered to around 22C.

Aspirin: Roughly 1 gram per 100ml at room temperature. Same at 22C.

Ibuprofen: Roughly 1 gram per 100ml at room temperature or less.

Mr Blonde’s Basic CWE

1) If I have Nurofen +, I will grind these in a coffee grinder; most other codeine combo meds dissolve quite quickly by themselves and these I will just drop into a glass of cool water. I use 50mL for 24 tablets of 10mg codeine/500mg APAP, for preparations known to be more ‘sludgy’ (e.g. N+, certain codeine/APAP brands), I will use 75-100mL of water. I try to use only 150-200ml of water maximum.

2) Once the tablets are dissolved, I stir them and then place an old shirt in a cup as a filter. I wet the shirt prior to using as a filter.

3) Pour the solution through the filter, and wait until the stream of filtered solution slows to droplets. I then squeeze the shirt to get the most liquid out.

4) That’s it! Dispose of the liquid by drinking, and dispose of the filtrate in your bin. Some people do second washes on the filtrate left over, I however do not.

Erowid’s CWE Technique

The Procedure
1. Obtain a quantity of tablets containing codeine, check to see if they contain anything other than codeine, caffeine, acetaminophen or aspirin. If they do, and you don't know whether or not it will be a problem, your best bet is not to use them. Measure out your desired amount of codeine (ex. 64 mg = 8 tablets * 8mg/tablet). You may want to add 2 extra tablets as it is quite likely you will lose some codeine in the procedure. As you get more experience with the procedure you will be able to get approx. 95% of the codeine extracted.

2. Measure out some nice hot water, use approx. 40ml / 20 tablets or more if needed. I would suggest you don't go over 50ml for 20 tablets. I don't know if the use of boiling water would destroy any of the codeine but your best bet is not to use it. Use hot water but not boiling. Make sure the tablets dissolve completely. Some dissolve on contact with water while others need some help dissolving by crushing them. Note : not all of the tablet will dissolve, there are water-insoluble fillers in the tablet and not all of the A/A will dissolve either(which is what we want).

[Most sources recommend that codeine not be stored at temperatures in excess of 40C (104F), so its probably better to use warm, but not hot, water. I find that it is best to crash the tablets completely in a container, and then dissolve them in a glass with water.]

3. Place the solution in a cold bath, I just use some ice cubes in a container of water. Stir the mixture occasionally until the solution drops to about 15C or lower. You won't need a thermometer to measure the temperature, just make sure it's "cold". This will take about 30 min. If you wish to speed this up, you can use less water to dissolve the tablets, and add ice chips to cool the mixture faster. Just make sure you don't add so much ice that you drastically increase the volume of the mixture.

4. Filter the solution using whatever you have. Coffee filters work well, but lab filters work the best. Just make sure you don't end up with obvious solids in the filtered solution. This will take about 1 hr. You may also want to rinse the solids left over in the filter with some ice-water to extract any remaining codeine.

[With aspirin this will take only about 20-30 minutes.]

5. Drink and enjoy! The solution will be _very_ bitter, so I mix a little Kool-aid powder into the solution. The taste isn't really bad but it's similar to sucking on a lemon.

[One gets used to the taste after a while.:)]

6. Sit back and wait for the effects. Because the codeine is already in solution it only needs to be absorbed, while codeine in the tablet form must dissolve before being absorbed. Because of this, the effects will probably become noticeable within 15min.

Note : I don't suggest you evaporate the mixture unless you are willing to wait a while. The Merck index warns that codeine is sensitive to heat and light. For that reason if you wish to evaporate the mixture, do it without heat, and shield the solution from light.

Can the solution be evaporated to be used for other purposes?

Yes, although the solution is going to contain some binders, fillers and some amount of the combo med we didn’t want. Hence, depending on the drug, the powder could be used for snorting, eating later or plugging, but would in no way be ideal for IV use. Most drugs that come in combo-med form are, as far as I know, not suited for smoking. To find out whether the drug you have separated can be used via a certain method of administration, use the search engine. ;)

Can every combo med be CWE’d?

No. Some combo meds also contain a third ingredient such as an anti-cholinergenic. If this third ingredient is potentially dangerous and soluble in water, a CWE will not remove that risk.

Also, there are some preparations of aspirin that are soluble in water. A CWE will not work on these medications.

And that’s about it. Using this technique will help remove some of the dangers associated with overdoing a combo med, it’s simple to do and could save your health. If you have a technique you use or would like to discuss any aspects of the CWE, this is the thread to do it in.

Stay safe.

Just wanted to add that all is true and basically by the book,the only problem i have with this last tec.is that coffee filters realy suck for filtering.I have tried many methods of filtering from cotton sheets to cotton balls and have found that sattan from say a pare of boxers works the best and also wont rip or anything ,you can also wring out the sattan and dump the crap in the bin.
Then if you like you could probably use the coffee filters though i dont i just wring out the sattan then drink with something sweet cause the taste does realy suck......
If you use coffee filters you will find that it will stop draining and become plugged and probably rip when ya try to get the rest out...
But other than that all is well....

Thanks for the advice! Starting to feel good. It's called Panadine Extra, $8 AUD for 24 tabs. I used 1/4 cup of water, maybe a bit too much?

Panadeine Extra are good, they dissolve very quickly, and have a nice amount of codeine within. I would generally use the "strong pain" brand myself, as its more economical, but I've just flat munched Panadeine Extra without extracting; never more then 10 at once though, but its (well, was) enough to get a bit of a buzz....

Just wanted to add that all is true and basically by the book,the only problem i have with this last tec.is that coffee filters realy suck for filtering.I have tried many methods of filtering from cotton sheets to cotton balls and have found that sattan from say a pare of boxers works the best and also wont rip or anything ,you can also wring out the sattan and dump the crap in the bin.
Then if you like you could probably use the coffee filters though i dont i just wring out the sattan then drink with something sweet cause the taste does realy suck......
If you use coffee filters you will find that it will stop draining and become plugged and probably rip when ya try to get the rest out...
But other than that all is well....

Use an OAS (AKA wick filter), and those problems are a thing of the past!

The result is a purer solution than you can get with traditional filters and there is never a clog. Plus your "filters" are cheap or free, and re-usable many times!

Click on the above link to get to the bluelight post that shows you how.

I imagine the coffee filter part of the process would be greatly improved with a good buchner funnel and filter flask, like this.

I've also seen some 'one time use' micron filtering flasks made by nalgene. They allow you to use vacuum to increase the filter rate as well.

Yes, a buchner funnel would do wonders for the filtration process. For anyone who doesn't know what he is talking about, it is a funnel that is specially designed to fit with a rubber seal and be placed onto a flask with a vacuum attachment i.e. vacuum filtration. By inducing negative air pressure, the flow of liquid is greatly increased!

For those who don't have a buchner funnel, there are many methods of vacuum filtration. A turkey baster or eye dropper with a filter placed over the opening works great. Also, a water bottle with a few coffee filters fitted over the opening can be used as a sort of vacuum (squeezing the liquid out of the bottle). There are many options, so be creative! A good vacuum setup can VASTLY reduce filtration times, especially with coffee filters or actual whatman chemistry filter papers (made for vacuum filtration use.

I have a Buckner funnel setup I use if I need to filter very large amounts as a precursor to other errr easybake oven fun. For single or double doses (i.e. under 100 pills) though, gravity filtration takes under five minutes with coffee filters and only 15min with filtration papers in a beveled edged Buckner (can't remember the proper name) IF you use aspirin based products. Safer and easier you can't go wrong.

quick cwe question

Hey guys, I have a pretty basic and redundant question because I am a worry wart.

So I basically want to know if there is any way thaty a cold water extraction can fail if it is done correctly....

i bascially eyeball the 100ml of water (I'm good at it and figure a couple ml's is not gonna be the death of me)

that is the only real issue I mainly get concerned about but the reason I am askin is because I normally have been getting 60 7.5mg norcos a month but today the doc wrote a script out for Vicodin ES which has double the apap pretty much as we all know. Well I am use to taking/ cold water extracting a lot of those, like 10-12 (norcos) at a time which by itself is the maximum even if I did not CWE.

So I CWE'd 10 of these 750's tonight and thats double the apap I ever usually use in my solutions.

I am mainly asking because I am concerned about the amount of apap I am having to work with... but it makes no difference though right? I know the solubility rules and shit, I'm looking for someone to basically tell me what I want to hear. I'm just double checking I guess. I KNOW I am right I just worry a lot over dumb shit.... . Just tell me my liver will be okay

and even if the water temp was too high for some reason only so much (1 gram) of apap can fit in 100ml of water right? No matter what...
There was a lot of apap after filtering as well,

but every single time i do a cwe it should be okay right based off what i said?

one last one... it also takes 24 hours + to od on apap? correct?

sorry for the dumb questions thanks in advance i just worry so much
so thank you in advance

can fail if it is done correctly....
Spock would be sad.

from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol
solubility of acetaminophen @20C is 12.78mg/ml

therefore in 100ml of room temperature water there is 1,278mg of Acetaminophen dissolved max. With cold water that would be less. If you had used 500 pills of vicadin and dissolved them in 100ml of water and filtered...there would be 1,278mg of acetaminophen max. (same with a billion pills)

edit:
That being said in 50ml of water there would only be around 600mg. If you are doing this often I would recommend lowering the amount of water you use as much as possible. Also if there is any powder or milkyness is from improper filtering in what you drink then that is undissolved paracetamol and adds to the dissolved (clear) amount.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I know it was a stupid question and I even know the knowledge (I rounded the 1gram when I said that earlier but its close enough) I just wanted someone else to say its a-ok.

Yeah. several people would probably be sad.... sorry.. thank you though, mind my anxiety.

Hey it's better you ask and feel a little embarrassed then not ask and get sick right? You should definitely look up the principles behind the methods you use as well though and make sure you fully understand them. In this case though you are most assuredly going to be alright and enjoy that codeine!

been using since 1998.... would give my right arm to be drug free! Have lost two of the best paying, hard to get jobs due to abusing drugs.... who knows where , what, & how i would be up to if i was or had a zero tolerance

Last edited:
If you did OD on APAP you'd probably have liver failure 3 days later. 24hrs later you'd start to get jaundiced. But consuming that much APAP you'd probably feel pretty shitty stomach wise and know something was wrong before 24hrs. I always used to filter it twice because I'd get paranoid like you. Your not gonna mess up just because the pills have more APAP though.

been using since 1998.... would give my right arm to be drug free! Have lost two of the best paying, hard to get jobs due to abusing drugs.... who knows where , what, & how i would be up to if i was or had a zero tolerance

Welcome to Bluelight fentynalberg. You can always introduce yourself in the new members forum http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=143. Or if you want somewhere to share your story and get support try the Dark Side http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=47

This is discussed at length in the CWE mega-thread linked in my post.

It's also important to note that the 1200mg or so that was figured for you is the minimum APAP in the solution, not the maximum. Even with 100% efficient lab filtration you'd have that amount in your solution. Since a lot of the filter methods we use are crude to say the least (coffee filters, cloth, etc) they will be far from perfect in terms of keeping suspended APAP out of the final solution.

Just something to keep in mind.

For what it's worth, I always take a good dose of SAMe (s-adenosyl-methionine) with my CWE to help counter the potentially damaging effects of APAP. It's more effective than NAC orally, with fewer nausea effects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.