• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe New Bupe Implant

mrsnowygrainius

Bluelighter
hello all, I just saw that the FDA approved of the buprenorphine implant that has been in clinical trials for a couple years now. Doctors will now have to be trained about the implant and then soon enough it will be on the market. So I am wondering what are some thoughts you guys have on this... a buprenorphine implant... good? or bad... at least they are doing something to slow down the epidemic.

I would also like to give a brief history to my relationship with bupe because I am considering getting this implant. My original doc is IV heroin, but my solution to the problem was getting on sub maintenance. I have been seeing doctors for 4 years now, I have been weened off properly TWICE from a dose of 8mgs to 0mgs over the course of 10 months I literally did this two times because I failed both. Then I gave up and went back on 8mgs, that was 2 years ago...

do you guys think this new implant would be a good thing for me? I will finally be able to leave my hometown and do some normal things like go on a road trip. Another thing i am wondering- since the inplant will just be bupe, and will NOT have naltrexone in it like my suboxone, what would happen if I shot some bags after receiving the implant?

If you do bags after the implant it won't work at all even without naloxone/naltrexone

This. The naloxone does nothing in suboxone, which is why Subutext and Subs are really the same thing. Buprenorphine has a higher binding affinity then naloxone and almost every other opiate/opioid that are widely abused. Some drugs are strong enough that at the right dosage they can compete (I'm thinking of IV oxymorphone and Fentanyl) but even then you have to be on a pretty low dosage of Buprenorphine.

My immediate reaction to this is that it's not a real good idea. Implants seem a bit of an over-reaction to me. I think people should have the choice as to what's going on in their body and they should be able to make that choice every day. Like naltrexone implants this could be dangerous because someone desperate might shoot enough dope that it'd override the Buprenorphine and then overdose on it. Of course, that's also a possibility with suboxone, zubsolv, and any other formula containing Buprenorphine, but a plant just seems like it's going too far.

Yeah, why take an implant when you can just dose yourself (and control your taper if you wish) using tablets and strips?

I too see this as a disaster, like the naltrexone implant. Someone will try to shoot through it and die of CNS depression without even so much as a buzz.