• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Neurotransmitter reset after Tricyclic Antidepressants

ieatchocolate

Greenlighter
About 3 or 4 months ago I was put on a course of nortryptyline (I took 10mg for a week) and subsequently amitryptyline (I took a single 10mg then stopped). I had a variety of side effects, including losing the buzz from alcohol, which is my main issue. These side effects subsided after 2 weeks after taking the nortryptyline but these side effects have not subsided after 4 months off the amitryptyline.

I know the amitryptyline is out of my system but I believe the effects are still there on my neurotransmitters due to the side effects. You guys' thoughts? How long would it take for my neurotansmitters to return to normal, if at all? This bottle of 5HTP is staring at me.

I've done some of my own research but I can't figure out the correct things to put into Google - please point me in the right direction. I have heard stories of people never being able to get the buzz back and this is heartbreaking.

Two questions: Why do I no longer feel the buzz? Has anyone ever experienced this and felt the buzz again?

Last edited:
How long would it take for my neurotansmitters to return to normal, if at all? This bottle of 5HTP is staring at me.

Please don't take that until you've spoken to a doctor.
i'm quite sure you'll 'get your buzz back', but i mean, come on, SS is no joke.
sorry i don't have more to add :/

Please don't take that until you've spoken to a doctor.
i'm quite sure you'll 'get your buzz back', but i mean, come on, SS is no joke.
sorry i don't have more to add :/

I've spoken to two doctors. One of them looked at me like I was stupid and said I should just drink more. The other recommended some other antidepressants (I suffer from fibromyalgia) and said as the drug was out of my system it must be coincidental. Is there a type of doctor that specializes in these issues?

I've spoken to two doctors. One of them looked at me like I was stupid and said I should just drink more. The other recommended some other antidepressants (I suffer from fibromyalgia) and said as the drug was out of my system it must be coincidental. Is there a type of doctor that specializes in these issues?

hmm, i mean, and i know i'm stating the obvious - a neurologist?
sorry, this is pretty out of my realm of experience :/

Last edited:
Since the drug has already left your system then there is just no way for it interact with any other drugs even if you think that your neurotransmitters are affected by them. As far as I know a serotonin syndrome occurs when the chemicals in two or more drugs interact with each other thus increasing the concentration of serotonin in the brain (Chemical interaction, chemistry stuff). Still I wouldn't go near that until maybe about a month! just to be safe! But theoretically, since there are no chemicals left, no interaction should occur.