• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Neuronting (gabapentin) dependency avoidance advice?

barada

Bluelighter
Attempting to manage prescription to gabapentin and would like to precaution a physical dependancy.
I often see advice for avoiding physical dependencies for substances...
For instance - benzo, do not take daily longer than one week. Or hydrocodone, no longer than a month..
I sit on what I am hoping is not the eve of another chemical dependency. Doc prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain, I asked him about the addictive potential of this medicine... he stated he would want to taper me back.
"Taper" translates to "dependency" in my head.

For those experienced with gabapentin.. were there, or is there solutions you would advise to avoid having a physical dependency to this med? such as.. don't take daily longer than ___ weeks, months?

I have read horror stories of WD from Nuerontin, but haven't really come across a good regime. Doc was no help on the matter... tapering back sounds miserable as I am already experiencing nerve pain and I often experience heightened nerve pain with WD symptoms.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Gabapentin withdrawal is more of a nuisance than anything and for me lasted 5 days. All mental IMO

Sounds like you have a shitty Doc.. they should be able to help you. Maybe try speaking with a different doctor and/or try focusing on getting a professional opinion/help. I don't have a lot of experience with Benzo's and withdrawals.. but hopefully you can find yourself a proper answer.

It has been about 10 years since I started my gabapentin prescription. I would say treat it like a benzo. It seems like I noticed a tolerance within 2 - 3 weeks. For your information, I have been tapering for 8 months and am about to cease use completely in 5 days. Dependency is real, but the withdrawal varies among individuals. It was very intense for me when I ran out of capsules early one month.

Gabapentin wd for me, even with a taper, was hell. Severe migraines and vomiting consistently. The brain zaps people feel with other drugs I was getting, and just a few weeks of general weakness and no energy. Just my experience, and I've had experience with narcotics and benzos.

It depends what you're using the gabapentin for. If you're looking for recreational effects, tolerance builds super fast and there isn't much one can do about it other than use very infrequently. If you're looking to manage pain, it seems like dosing around 300-400mg every few hours with a little snack of protein/fat/salt/carbs.

Gabapentin wd for me, even with a taper, was hell. Severe migraines and vomiting consistently. The brain zaps people feel with other drugs I was getting, and just a few weeks of general weakness and no energy. Just my experience, and I've had experience with narcotics and benzos.

how long were you taking the gabapentin, and at what doses?

3 years. 3600mg total per day for nerve pain, and yes sometimes less or more depending on how I felt. This was a few years ago. I understand now the highest "recommended" dosage has been reduced in the US.

No. And this was a very popular neurosurgeon who was prescribing these to me. I've had wd from a lot, but that was the worst. I (at the time) was very against being on any kind of controlled substance due to my job...so perhaps he was just trying to make me comfortable, I don't know.