• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Netherlands pot

Foreigner

Bluelighter
Can anyone explain this to me?

Why is pot in the Netherlands so mellow, but the pot here on the west coast of North America so psychedelic-esque? I know there are probably strength differences but in some ways it seems like they are completely different sub-species. I'm probably misunderstanding it though.

In the Netherlands I could smoke two joints and be functional but no matter what I smoke here in N.A makes me wrecked, even if I look for "weaker" strains.

I'm surprised you feel it's so generalizable as there's quite a selection in both places now (from my understanding of NL, personal exp in US).

One fundamental thing would be that the Netherlands is well-known for high-flying Sativa strains, especially Haze, that are not particularly incapacitating to mind and body. The West Coast on the other hand is more Indica-dominated, with Afghani strains having really spread their influence since the 80s. These strains have a much more narcotic-like effect.

There are rumours that some Dutch coffee shops kief the weed as in run the buds over a screen knocking off a good amount of tricomes to make hash with. Certainly it's rare to see really frosted buds in coffee shops anymore.

I have noticed the same with Canadian weed as you have with American weed. It is stronger and it feels a lot more compulsive to smoke it. Wheras old school hashes and weed grown locally in the UK seems a lot less addictive.

Well I don't know but there is good weed in amsterdam, you just have to find the right coffeeshops and always ask the budtender to show you the nugs. If there are not too many people in there I usually ask them to recommend me something based on what i'm looking for, I've gotten good shit like this (some of them weren't on the menu for some reason).

When you say smoke two joints in the Netherlands, are you implying you bought pre-rolled joints? Quite often they tend to make these fairly weak (especially in Amsterdam) in order to not fuck up unsuspecting tourists.

I have no experience with american weed, but compared to UK weed (which I smoked for 4 years at university) the Dutch stuff is much more potent. A lot of it depends on the quality of the batch though, and the strain itself. If you get some frosty looking amnesia haze, or some other ultrapotent haze variety you get a very psychedelic mindfuck high. Shit like white widow or power plant (very common in dutch coffeeshops) are muuuuuch more mellow in effect.