• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Negative thought loops from pot?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I'm not a pot smoker anymore (haven't been for years), but just lately the opportunity arose for me to try some and I thought what the hell. The main reason I stopped smoking weed was because I found it was causing me paranoia or just to feel strange more and more as my mental illness progressed. But either way, when I tried it again just recently I noticed that the paranoia wasn't really there anymore but I found myself shifting towards negative thought loops involving things about my life. I would sort of identify it and try to break the thought loop, but I would just get stuck on it, or it would switch to something else negative. In a way I almost feel it was trying to force me to reevaluate things and look at my life, but it wasn't exactly a fun experience. Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't expect I would care for weed all that much trying it again, but the presence of another side effect sort of surprised me.

Last edited:
Yes it can be very schitz at times for me. But pot is a psychedelic, mind manifestation is what happens on these highs. I have identified it as a psychedelic so that now I can control how it affects me. It doesn't affect me negatively and when it does I just sleep it off. Some people just can't handle the mind-bend and should not be smoking pot in the first place.

Weed really just increases thought production and depth to varying degrees of insanity to happiness to sadness and etc... Just relax and clear your head. The more you think the deeper you go.

pot is one giant thought loop lol
both positive and negative.
usually halfway through the bowl i start to hear music in my head and zone out before i come back to reality.
Cannabis can be a hell of a trip if your tolerance is low

ya sometimes when I smoke I get really intense flashback of traumatic childhood events, feels as though I am watching a replay in my head. All the emotions seem to return as well.

I used to like it more, I felt like I was able to understand myself better. Now I wonder if I'm just stirring up the past with no real solution in my hands.

The strange thing is I didn't even really get any euphoria or high even tho it had been years since the last time I smoked. This may have been because I was already drunk both times I tried it again, or because I've been fairly depressed lately I guess.

its probably the alcohol tbh. Most the time I'd prefer to just smoke weed because I like the buzz a lot better on its own compared to mixing with alcohol. Smoking and drinking gives me a really numb feeling, but weed alone is more euphoric.

Yeah... If I decide to try it again I'll do it without anything else, but it seems weed just isn't my thing. I loved it in high school, but as bad as it sounds I think the reason I started turning to alcohol more and more in the first place was because of the mind numbing effects.

weed after booze is extremely euphoric. Weed before booze makes the stone very dull but gives you a better chance of not puking.

Weed + Alcohol one of the most euphoric, classical drug combos

weed after booze is extremely euphoric. Weed before booze makes the stone very dull but gives you a better chance of not puking.

Weed + Alcohol one of the most euphoric, classical drug combos

I agree, i ALWAYS drink at least 3 drinks before lighting up when i do both together.
alcohol and weed must react somehow, because it is a great combo, and i have less tendency to vomit from drinking if i smoke weed.

I also get thought loops on good herb. I thought it was from OCD or that herb didn't do this to most people? The ones I would get were not negative; but I'd usually get a song stuck in my head, or think something was hilarious when to sober people it's not at all, like my cat jumping off the corner of a bed and making the bed shake I thought that was hilarious the last time I used some herb years ago.

Now I don't use any drugs including alcohol; but when I did use drugs I enjoyed smoking and drinking, usually after coming home from a bar, or I'd just have 1-2 drinks at the most, or smoking and taking a low/moderate dose of pharm opiates like codeine, or oxy. I also used to love smoking while on LSD; but when I smoked while on mushrooms it just made everything weird and confusing, and using nitrous while on mushrooms and herb made things even more confusing.

Same thing here. Strong weed, or certain strains give me the bad loops. Usually I alter the dose next time, a few tokes less and a good comedy on TV, or discussing the thought out loud with someone normally helps in my case. I tend to be a worst case scenario kind of thinker anyway so the thoughts are more or less always there and sometimes pot makes them worse, then again sometimes it make it better. If you have a history of mental illness most research will point toward pot being a bad choice anyway.

I agree, i ALWAYS drink at least 3 drinks before lighting up when i do both together.
alcohol and weed must react somehow, because it is a great combo, and i have less tendency to vomit from drinking if i smoke weed.

man I wish but I don't get that at all. When I'm drunk I usually end up chain smoking joints just trying to get that stoned feeling... never comes though. It can be a fun combo, great for laughs and all that but i don't find it nearly as euphoric as weed alone.

I've never been a very big alcohol drinker tho, it always effects me strangely. Sometimes it's all good and sometimes it's all bad.

man I wish but I don't get that at all. When I'm drunk I usually end up chain smoking joints just trying to get that stoned feeling... never comes though. It can be a fun combo, great for laughs and all that but i don't find it nearly as euphoric as weed alone.

I've never been a very big alcohol drinker tho, it always effects me strangely. Sometimes it's all good and sometimes it's all bad.

Yeah alcohol is a polarized substance. extremely awesome or extremely shitty and boring.
never in between.

I was smoking a sativa after I had to leave a note for my chef the the other week and I got mind loops of it for a day and a half until I went in, my anxiety and OCD was triggered by all the thc with no cbd to cancel out the negatives. I wanted to die. On the other hand tho I just went through a fairly traumatic experience at the train station I go home from where an innocent man died in my arms, and I still have to go there every day and am reminded of it by all the posters but marijuana is keeping me sane. Allows me to take control of my mind and stop obsessive thoughts.

I just quit because of this. I tend to be able to smoke for a few months then it gets my head twisted and I quit for a few months..

The strange thing is I didn't even really get any euphoria or high even tho it had been years since the last time I smoked. This may have been because I was already drunk both times I tried it again, or because I've been fairly depressed lately I guess.
m

Whenever I'm very depressed marijuana does not work at ALL for me. The high is not there, it's just residual sadness:( for a few days at least until I get my depression back on track. Then weed works all over again and I'm oh so happy!
I wish I wasn't dependant on it though.

m

Whenever I'm very depressed marijuana does not work at ALL for me. The high is not there, it's just residual sadness:( for a few days at least until I get my depression back on track. Then weed works all over again and I'm oh so happy!
I wish I wasn't dependant on it though.

Pot doesn't ALWAYS un-sad me either. But it almost without a fault ALWAYS un-mads me. If me and my wife are fighting, i can smoke or better yet we can smoke together and by the end of the the joint, all is well.

Pot doesn't ALWAYS un-sad me either. But it almost without a fault ALWAYS un-mads me. If me and my wife are fighting, i can smoke or better yet we can smoke together and by the end of the the joint, all is well.

I noticed with my ex we were the same thing! ! For some reason mellowing out was so much easier after smoking and things became sensible. Or at least more understanding.

My last two experiences were horrible, while i've been smoking for almost 15 years.
Unfortunately i cannot enjoy it anymore.

So yes, i know what you are talking about.