• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Needle Exchange?

nonprofitflight

Greenlighter
Ok, So I live in a place where there's a TREMENDOUS amount of drug use, and a MINUSCULE effort to make it any safer whatsoever. there is literally not a single needle exchange in my county AT ALL. I live in the capital of said county. see, the local government has recently made their ridiculous stance on drugs even more unenlightened by making it even more difficult to grow marijuana, even with a legal recommendation. and they're completely ignoring the heroin use that's on the rise, and a long standing history of amphetamine abuse in the area. there's dirty needles everywhere, and there's people sharing them because even though its supposed to be legal to buy them over the counter here, the local pharmacies STILL turn people down depending on their appearance. its fucking stupid.

I'm looking for where to begin trying to get a needle exchange started. specifically how are they typically funded. preferably with federal funds, if possible, as the locals will likely do whatever they can to make it impossible. its the only reason I can see that there isn't an exchange already.
If this has a place where it belongs, Please move it, or let me know so I can.

I'm looking for where to begin trying to get a needle exchange started. specifically how are they typically funded. preferably with federal funds, if possible, as the locals will likely do whatever they can to make it impossible. its the only reason I can see that there isn't an exchange already.
If this has a place where it belongs, Please move it, or let me know so I can.

Find out when your local School Board/Board of Education holds meetings and begin frequenting these meetings as much as possible; keeping an open ear and shut mouth.

After a couple of meetings, if you feel you have a grasp on your current districts situation, begin to voice your opinions and take a look into the next election for a seat on the Board.

Through this platform you will draw the eyes&ears of the demographic you will need, Mothers&Fathers of school aged kids that can not fathom Little Johnny&Sucy growing up in a School District that has a rampant and outrageously ignored substance abuse issue.

Thanks for the quick reply!

but I find myself confused. I understand (or i think I understand) how valuable having the support of the local families can be in a matter such as this, but I'm not sure how this translates to funding. Would it be reasonable to talk to the local hospital about donating syringes and alcohol swabs? or would that come off in some sort of negative way? I mean, i know it varies place by place, but is this sort of thing a fairly common arrangement?

I find myself confused. I understand (or i think I understand) how valuable having the support of the local families can be in a matter such as this, but I'm not sure how this translates to funding.

Families of School aged children will provide all of your funding, once every family is aware of the issue and is taking action along side you, the other half of your community will take notice and bare arms against drugs. No one wants their community to be known as the "Drugtown" of the area and even less would want their children growing up in a district that turns a blind eye.

Would it be reasonable to talk to the local hospital about donating syringes and alcohol swabs? or would that come off in some sort of negative way? I mean, i know it varies place by place, but is this sort of thing a fairly common arrangement?

You see, this is where you will need to sit in on meetings, keeping an open ear and shut mouth.

You need to determine WHY your community is ignoring the issue at hand... Is one of the current Board members trying to keep the curtains closed? Maybe, no one is as aware to the issue at hand, being active in your Districts Board of Ed. will allow you a chance to get the input of students; if the students agree and other parents agree, your on your way to a 'Drug-Free' School District.

Side note: I live in an area of the US that has the highest amount of Heroin overdoses yearly, my particular town being one of the worst areas for abuse, the above is akin to the action we took in my community. Awareness has spread, community watch groups formed to keep a look-out on the "Chill Spots", we have speakers come into the schools every semester to share the horrors of substance abuse.. We turned the tides here and you can as well.

yea. there's definitely no substitute for getting involved in the community, however, there's such a stigma around here, being an old fashioned bible-thumping hick town, that addicts are simply allowing themselves to be addicted. I appreciate your feedback, and will have to insert myself into the public forum more, but I find myself severely discouraged, as I don't see the layperson supporting the issue around here. thanks anyway, tho.

Shoot me a private message, I would like to assist you in your fight as much as possible, we may even be able to setup an outreach between our 2 school districts; where as both districts provide support to one anothers students.

Sometimes addicts won't seek help because they're afraid of the communities stigma, as you said, with this outreach between our 2 school districts students would be able to reach out for help from another student, across the country, that is the same age and gender.

Or, in the same context, I can speak with members of my Homegroup (Alcoholics Annoymous Homegroup AKA the meeting you go to the most&feel has the most support) and setup a cross-country outreach for older aged, 18+ addicts in your local area.

What country do you live in? Here in the US, the ban on federal funding has been lifted, effective as of this year..
You may want to contact some people in the following agencies to get more insight;Your local health authorities, CDC, National Institute of Health, and The North American Syringe Exchange Network.

NEP's are founded in a variety of different ways; Federal, State, Local, and Private..

yea, I'm in the US, but i'm just stunningly unaware of how this bureaucracy works. I feel contacting the local health office isn't gonna be overly helpful. there's a behavioral health center, but they have very strict views on harm reduction. I don't think they would be willing to help, as it would be viewed locally as "enabling" I'm somewhat concerned that there's a local ban on such organizations. There's a couple of AA and NA groups around here, but even then, there's a significant amount of judgement present regarding DOC. People in my area are so very in lack of understanding. as for the outreach program, that seems like a viable option, and something I could get people on board with, but What sort of support group would be needed to get this off the ground? I could likely find people to help, but not unless I build a decent game plan first. no idea where to start.

P.S. thank you SO much.

as it would be viewed locally as "enabling"
There are statistics out there that prove that NEP's do not increase IV use.. I would print them out and bring them with you, or have them readily available, so you can recite them.

I guess i'm trying to run before I can crawl. what I should be asking is how do I local government? I'm just one young drug addict trying to make a difference here. I just feel WAY out of my league.

I guess i'm trying to run before I can crawl. what I should be asking is how do I local government? I'm just one young drug addict trying to make a difference here. I just feel WAY out of my league.

The fact that you a drug addict, recovering or in contemplative recovery, will rally your cause even further than that of an ordinary citizen.. Speak from your heart and share your own experiences, impact the community the same way substance abuse has impacted you, but in a positive light.

The fact that you a drug addict, recovering or in contemplative recovery, will rally your cause even further than that of an ordinary citizen.. Speak from your heart and share your own experiences, impact the community the same way substance abuse has impacted you, but in a positive light.
LOL you'd think this would be the case.. But in actuality being a current or ex addict will work against you, when persuading the general public.

If you're US based, and it definitely sounds like you are, contact the Harm Reduction Coalition ("HRC" but not the Human Rights Campaign, that's an LGBT organization), they're the national HR organization. They may be able to point you to how to get funding, and get started. Many needle exchange programs start with a few dedicated individuals and grow into full fledged needle exchanges with some medical services and services for the homeless and poor.

Best wishes.

LOL you'd think this would be the case.. But in actuality being a current or ex addict will work against you, when persuading the general public.

Well, that is true to a point.

It really depends on how far along in your recovery you are; if your whole town knew you as the "bum that does drugs" for 15 years and suddenly, over the course of a couple years they watch you become a different person, get a great job, put everything in place, build new relationships, etc.. they will take you much more serious than some kid that still looks like he's scratching together quarters for a lick

I too find it ridiculous that there are so many places in the US still that do not offer any sort of a needle exchange program to people with an IV drug problem. I live in a place where people shoot drugs like crazy, especially ever since heroin started showing up more and more around here. I find dirty needles on the side walk all the time and its just not right to deny people who have a drug addiction, which is a disease in my opinion, any sort of way to get clean needles so they can be much safer when they do these drugs. It is also very hard to just walk into any pharmacy here and ask for a pack of syringes without the pharmacists looking down on you and declining to sell them to you, unless you can provide them with some proof you are a diabetic or have insulin with you. Bottom line its way better to supply IV drug users with clean supplies than to have them contracting diseases and hurting themselves using dirty or shared rigs out of desperation. If only these people gave a shit! It would be a much better and safer place. Even if we could at least buy them without having to jump through hoops or be looked down upon at every pharmacy it would be nice. I truly envy the people who have needle exchange programs where they live and wish we all had that sort of access when we need clean supplies to just head over there and get what we need for no charge.