• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Needle Cleaning Question

bigzip44

Bluelighter
Okay,

So I had a needle loaded with Narcan, unused, 3ML fresh syringe and I am wondering if I can exchange the Narcan with another drug and essentially my question is: by cleaning the needle (and by what method?) can I completely eliminate the residual narcan if I first evacuate and then clean the rig with water, squirting in and out? The critical piece is that I can't afford to have ANY leftover Narcan in there for reasons you may have already guessed and, thus, is pulling and pushing water out of the needle a few times sufficient to rid the needle entirely?

Experts appreciated.

Gracias.

If you want to make sure to eliminate it entirely, use bleach first, then rinse thoroughly with water.

Yeah you should be able to clean out the narcan from your rig, but... Why don't you just use a new needle? They're cheap AH..

OP I totally I get it. Some places don't have easy access to fresh rigs every time you need one, its shitty but very true. Like where I am from, there is only one place I have gone to a Wal-Mart that will sell insulin syringes to just anyone.. Most places around here are very strict about who they sell packs of needles to. It sucks. And I cant order them offline either, which if you can and don't have a place to buy them from near you is the best bet.

Luckily now I have a reliable source to new rigs when needed, but I have been there before having to re use rigs way too long in the worst of my IV addiction to all different drugs... It was terrible having to re-use dull rigs multiple times over again. But whenever I would have to clean a rig though I use bleach! That is what you should do, if you have no access to another fresh needle, pull the whole rig full of bleach, maybe let it sit in there for a couple mins or shake the rig to move it around(its probably not necessary but I do that anyways just to be safe) sometimes I will bleach it more than once, but its usually not necessary, I'm just very anal about how clean my rigs are at all times, if re-suing. After bleaching it, rinse it out with some water, I usually use warm-hot water from the tap, then rinse it out like 5-10x(I usually do it 10 times) or until you no longer have any bleach leftover in there or it has no bleach scent left with the water.. I sometimes just rinse it like 15 or more times just to be safe, you definitely don't want to inject bleach, not even a hint of it so that is why I always rinse the rig so many times with water after bleach... I was mostly concerned when I would use a rig to shoot a sub then want to use it to shoot a full agonist or vice versa.. you def don't want to mix those two together, and especially don't want any narcan in with a full agonist, that would not go well. Be safe man! hope this helps.

Not having easy access to clean rigs is a bloody crime against humanity imo - any developed country responsible for this hates its citizens and would rather put them all at risk of disease and enjoy the billions of dollars burden on their healthcare systems. Backwards thinking, plainly ignorant lawmakers.

You may miss that all important narcan shot, especially if you're an opiate user. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Nothing worse than using a needle that could be likened to using a thumbtack. Take care OP.

Not having easy access to clean rigs is a bloody crime against humanity imo - any developed country responsible for this hates its citizens and would rather put them all at risk of disease and enjoy the billions of dollars burden on their healthcare systems. Backwards thinking, plainly ignorant lawmakers.

You may miss that all important narcan shot, especially if you're an opiate user. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Nothing worse than using a needle that could be likened to using a thumbtack. Take care OP.

Aint that the fucking truth man! Every place in the US needs to have a needle exchange, especially places where there is lots of drug use! Its ridiculous that they don't by now, and the fact that you cant even purchase them from most places without getting dirty looks, and treated like a pile of shit is even more fucked! It is not right to treat people that way who have a disease and addiction, and will use fucking mangled, dirty, and used/shared rigs before giving up the needle! The government where I live is totally ass backwards fucked up.. I think everyone should be treated decent no matter if your an addict or sober, and at the very least be able to go to any local pharmacy and PAY THEM to sell you some clean needle, regardless of what they are for. You shouldn't have to be a diabetic to buy clean needles. Period.

Making needles available isn't enough on its own either. Sure it helps, it helps a lot. But round here (everywhere I've been in Australia) it's just not enough. Me and a few others with high habits, even moderate habits. Unless they're dispensed without human intervention. The people responsible just don't believe we actually need that many. I've had to reuse needles so many times because they're convinced me and others I know just don't use that much

My methadone clinics just as bad. They tell you when you first join to be upfront and honest with them. But if your situation isnt within their parameters of what's plausible amount if usage. They just don't believe you. They expected me to have about a 20x over reduction in tolerance in days because those idiots thought I was lying.

Sorry, just ranting about so called professionals deciding what addiction looks like, and dismissing anything outside their theory as a lie.

^ Really? Were you doing an exchange, trying to buy large amounts of rigs, or trying to get large amounts for free?
When i used to go to one of those places, they would happily replace any amount i was returning.

Rock up with ten used sharps, and you'd either be charged a nominal fee for wanting to get (lots) more than you were exchanging, or expect at least a bit of a stern word about "...we don't normally exchange 100 fresh needles for the 20 you just put in the bin".
But i've seen people walk out with 3 or 4 boxes of 100 insulin syringes, no problem at all.
Either you were dealing with an oddly strict, or cash-strapped exchange program - or maybe you weren't following their procedures for doing an exchange?
I never in my bad IV-using days had any problems with the staff at those places. Maybe you were unlucky?

Also, a lot of people that work in places that do needle exchange are doing so voluntarily - so (unless you were referring specifically to your methadone clinic, and i read that wrong?) - perhaps they weren't 'professionals'?

It bothers the fuck out of me when government gets in the way of what should be considered basic, humane treatment of its citizens. That being said, not sure how it is in other states, but in NY, you can go into any pharmacy and buy rigs. It's been that way since 2000. Not sure why all states don't do that. Except maybe the dick head politicians won't allow it.

Reuse.jpg

fyi

It bothers the fuck out of me when government gets in the way of what should be considered basic, humane treatment of its citizens. That being said, not sure how it is in other states, but in NY, you can go into any pharmacy and buy rigs. It's been that way since 2000. Not sure why all states don't do that. Except maybe the dick head politicians won't allow it.

Me fucking too! Fucking Florida is so weird about shit like this.. Its bad enough there isn't one needle exchange in the whole state, but you cant even BUY THEM and spend fucking money at theses people's pharmacy supporting them, just to have clean needles and practice harm reduction, unless your a diabetic and have proof!!! It enrages me every time I think about that shit, and the tough times I have gone through myself in the past having to reuse rigs many times over and over bleaching them out over and over, and dulling the rigs to the point where it was almost totally unusable. I have seen worse than that too, some of my friends have used the most fucked up, mangled rigs I have ever seen in my life.. I'm talking the needle was like bent halfway to the point of being a damn fishing hook, no ink left on the sides, fucking as dirty as a rig can get and they just kept using them because they, like me, wouldn't put down the needle even if its dull and used and go back to other ROAs, its so mentally addicting just the ritual of injecting, regardless of the drug...

I'm am so happy now that I have a friend to bring me clean rigs pretty much anytime, he gets them from the one pharmacy around here, out of the 100s we have tried to get them from, and I just pay him the amount on the receipt he paid to bring them to me, because I also have no car.. Still it is WRONG for all of the people who cant get them here(and there are a lot of them too, ALOT), it shouldn't be like this anywhere!!! Fucking close minded people need to stop thinking about only the perfect, sober, law-obiding, citezens in my state, and anywhere else that they act this way, and stop being such greedy, selfish, power-hungry douchebags! They don't give a flying fuck if some poor person conracts HIV or Hepatitis, etc from using dirty needles, the pharmacists and the politicians/government.. selfish pricks.

Hey so the rig is actually never been used to inject anything, the question is actually this (sorry if my original question was confusing): I had a non used needle, however I had it preloaded with narcan and I wanted to get the narcan out, clean it MOST THOROUGHLY, and reload it with ketamine. The thing is, I need to make sure ALL the narcan is out before I use it to shoot the K because I'm on opiate agonists and can't afford even a little of the narcan surviving in there. I hope that's more clear. Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.