View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Needing some advice..

aim007

Greenlighter
Hey guys!! I?m new on here..decided to open up an account and see if I could get some opinions. I?ve browsed this forum many a times. I?ve had a problem come up fairly recently and it?s been affecting my quality of life.

So, my background..I?m 26..I started smoking weed about 6 or so years ago. When I first started, I thought it was one of best things ever. Didn?t smoke as much at the beginning..maybe every other weekend. Up to the last 2 years, I would say it got to the point where I smoked almost every day. I?ve done MDMA in the last 2 years or so, a total of like 2-3 times..was too much for my liking so I stopped taking it. I discovered LSD within the last year or so, and got a liking for it. In total, I?d say I?ve tripped a total of like 15-20 times up until this point. Funny thing is, idk if I?m a light weight or something, but it does not take as much for me to get jacked up as most of my friends. The highest dose I?ve taken at once was 125ug. A lot of the trips I?ve had were microdoses between 25-50ug..I know I know..can barely call that tripping.

This year kind of took a turn south for me. Back in January, a week or so after a trip, I started feeling really weird one day..while at work..felt like I was about to die or something..freaked me the hell out..I ended up going to the bathroom trying to get a grip on myself..10 minutes or so later, I calmed down. I think this was what people describe as a panic attack episode, based on other symptoms..it came out of nowhere..first panic attack EVER that I?ve experienced. I ended up leaving work early. Ended up going back to normal. Then fast forward to the end of February, I decided to microdose. On this day, things went south quick. I felt fine at first..4 hours or so after dosing, I decided to smoke a whole bunch. That was a terrible mistake. I experienced a horrific panic attack. Ever since, I haven?t felt like my normal self. I?ve experienced quite a few panic attacks/anxiety, unwanted thoughts that come out of nowhere, fear, thoughts I?m going to die. I started feeling a bit better maybe a week and half later after this last trip. I stayed completely sober for maybe two weeks after this trip..I tried eating healthier, sleeping more, and took 5-htp here and there. Since then I smoked again sparingly, and felt relatively fine. Until this past week. I had a panic attack again a few days ago, and my mind just doesn?t feel right. My wife has taken Prozac in the past for depression and anxiety, and I decided to take it once and see if I?d feel better. In all actuality, I feel worse. Never taking that shit ever..I don?t know how people can take it.. I?m at a loss.

It?s been a month and half since my LSD trip..Last time I smoked was this past Sunday..I took the tab of Prozac two nights ago..any thoughts on what I should do? I plan on going to a doctor soon because how I?m feeling mentally freakin sucks. It?s affecting me so bad I want to stay sober for the rest of my life.

Take an extended break and see how you feel in a couple of months. I hit a rough patch you like in the last two years and smoking pot only seemed to make it worse. Going to the doctor is probably a good idea just to make sure everything is alright physically but he's not going to be able to do much for anxiety aside from giving you benzos. Benzos are helpful but open up a whole other can of worms, everything they mask just comes back stronger once they wear off and it's one of the worst classes of drugs to be dependant on imo.

LSD can cause this type of problem with most people even if you're just microdosing it. Add cannabis and you can get into a pretty bad place. At any rate, they only bring out underlying issues so take a look at yourself and try to figure out what is causing you to have panic attacks. If you're under a lot of stress or in a place in life where you're unsure about the future anxiety will always follow. Instead of reaching for drugs try things like hiking, swimming, or a jog around the neighborhood. These things aren't permanent and will get better with time once you've figured out why they're happening. In the meantime just take a long break from cannabis, LSD, and similar substances until you've sorted yourself out.

Yeah, I think laying off the substances would be a good idea. I wouldn't completely write off SSRIs just because of your prozac experience - they are not the kind of drug that starts working right away (should take 4 weeks or so to see effects) but they can be very useful in panic disorder and side effects can diminish as you adjust to the medication. I would see your doctor for the panic attacks - they may be able to recommend a therapist as well.

I?m sorry you aren?t here under better circumstances, welcome to bluelight.

I?ve had more panic attacks then i can possibly count due to psychedelics, mostly weed. I know how disassociated the kind of thing you went through can make a person feel, ive been through the same thing.

What helped me was staying sober and remaining rational. Being sober means you should avoid weed for a while as well, weed can induce panic attacks and paranoia in people that are vulnerable to them.

Right now you are in an anxious state but i promise you it?ll get better if you take care of yourself, remain sober, and focus on the day to day stuff. What i mean by that is don?t dwell on how much you think these drugs changed you or that they destroyed your mind forever because they haven?t.

Also prozac needs to be taken everyday for weeks on end to start having an effect. I never had any luck with antidepressants, they just made me feel agitated and more depressed during these troubled times.

Good luck, i hope you recover with haste.

As the others said, Prozac is no benzo or even an antihistamine that produces immediate anti-anxiety effects.

SSRI's need to be taken for about 2 weeks before they kick in, and indeed some people actually feel worse during the first week; after that, people tolerate them just fine, especially since your doctor will typically start you off on a lower dose.

but he's not going to be able to do much for anxiety aside from giving you benzos. Benzos are helpful but open up a whole other can of worms, everything they mask just comes back stronger once they wear off and it's one of the worst classes of drugs to be dependant on imo.

There's plenty of non-benzo anti-anxiety drugs out there. Yes, benzos are sometimes the only thing that can stop an acute panic attack, but there are plenty of meds that can help reduce negative thoughts or chronic generalized anxiety, thus greatly decreasing the frequency of your panic attacks - antidepressants and 2nd-generation antipsychotics being the ones that immediately come to mind.

Pregabalin (Lyrica) and gabapentin (neurontin) are also particularly helpful for anxiety disorders, as they essentially bridge the gap between antipsychotics (non-addictive, but not necessarily pleasant) and benzodiazepines (highly addictive because they're generally too pleasant).

Yea Panic attacks are horrible. I would suggest a Clonozapam prescription of 1m and take 1 everyday for a month. I think that would really help you with your quality of you life, it sure did for me. Best of luck to you much love - T

The problem with benzos is the addiction potential and if you stay on them too long you?ll get rebound anxiety and withdrawals. Short term they are some of the best drugs for anxiety and panic attacks, they are good long term too but not without more risks and consequences.

Yea Panic attacks are horrible. I would suggest a Clonozapam prescription of 1m and take 1 everyday for a month. I think that would really help you with your quality of you life, it sure did for me. Best of luck to you much love - T

Benzo monotherapy isn't really considered a first-line treatment for anxiety disorders anymore.

IMO starting off on an SSRI + some quetiapine or low-dose risperidone + .5mg of alprazolam would seem like a safer option.

Benzo monotherapy isn't really considered a first-line treatment for anxiety disorders anymore.

unfortunately and to the detriment of many patient's quality of life from what I've observed in practice...
using an SSRI, dopamine/serotonin antagonist, and benzodiazepine in conjunction and off the bat seems excessive and likely to cause many more secondary effects, than an appropriate benzodiazepine treatment if indicated.

OP - I'm sorry to hear about your current state. Psychedelic and cannabis use can definitely induce the state you describe, anxiety, depersonalization, and derealization, and have for me as well. I also am diagnosed with (and very affected by) persistent depressive disorder and chronic anxiety with panic. it has been a long long journey of trying various mental health treatments to find an approach that helps me function in my career, relationships, and life in general, without absolutely hating every second of my miserable existence.

As others have said, medications can only go so far, though are invaluable imo. Things like mindfulness, meditation, yoga, exercise, deep breathing, therapy, diet etc can be very helpful. Especially in combination with medication!

I would suggest, as others have, to remain free of substances for at least a few months and allow your head some time to recover; cannabis included. I also would suggest not taking other people's psychiatric medications; it's unlikely, but not impossible, that you experienced any effect from a single dose of fluoxetine. Going to a doctor, or preferably a psychiatrist is probably a good idea.

You'll be alright. Make some changes and find what works. Your subjective reality may forever be altered, and that is a real possibility when using psychedelic substances. What I try to remind myself when having a panic attack is that it's just that, a panic attack; I'm not going to die, and the worst thing that will happen is I'll hyperventilate and pass out (sitting down is a good idea). But this took years of enduring them (panic attacks) and learning how to cope with their acute effects.

Don't give up! :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind words and great suggestions.

I have taken y?all?s advice and gone completely sober and things are slowly improving. Haven?t taken any caffeine or any stimulants either. It?s crazy how different everything feels after having pretty much smoked every day for the last few years. I guess I should definitely start meditation and exercise..haven?t done so in a long while. I do have a pretty stressful job too, and it just so happens to be a desk job. I do have a baby on the way too. There?s just so much stress-wise that?s been going on, so maybe I screwed myself taking psychedelics through such a point in life.

I have started vaping pure CBD oil and that seems to be helping take the edge off of being sober and provides a very nice calming affect..any thoughts on if this would implicate my recovery process? Also, this last week, I went an entire week of taking a turmeric/ginger/cranberry supplement and it seems to have tremendously helped..haven?t had any panic attacks. I stopped taking it over the weekend, and yesterday I experienced a mild panic attack for the first time in over a week. Not sure if that has to do with anything..but any thoughts on this as well? I still feel mildly depressed..wayyy better than how I felt at the beginning for sure though..could this possibly be do to low serotonin/dopamine levels?

I have yet to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist, mainly due to the fact that I just can?t come to senses that I?m going through this. My whole life I have went on being completely healthy..never had to go to a doctor for anything. But I definitely want to feel 100% again, if not, super close to it, so it?s going to happen.

I have some friends that recommended I try to get a prescription on benzos for emergencies (only take if I get a panic attack) but idk. I?ve read waaay too much about SSRI?s and benzos, and it freaks me out a bit about all the possible side effects and what not.

This recovery process sucks.

Last edited:
cbd should be fine for some relief,

but my readings so far indicate that ssri's etc. are worse than useless,
instead ,we have to get more back to our pre-industrial social integration it seems, or else the whole depression anxiety thing will chase us through the haze that big pharma has made for the post-industrial lonely people of the planet.

we have to find more meaning in our work and each other, and celebrate things together.

of course that is not much related to the personal psychedelic journey, but it may be the missing link