• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need to come off dilaudid

boolightspecial

Greenlighter
Hadn't been on dilaudid in quite some time..years.. 2 weeks ago acquired a script for 168 @ 4mg. Max daily dose is 6 a day.

Ok so I went a little nutso and was insulfating 12mg about 4x a day....I'm a little worried now cos I'm running low and need to cut back...actually I'm going to run out...

I'm not sure what I should do...im in Hawaii and there's not much in the way of detox...

Any suggestions???

Last edited by a moderator:
How many do you have left? And when is your refill?

- Hopeless Soul

It's tough to go cold turkey but if you have some medical assistance you can do it.
Save as much as you possibly can. That's easier if you know you have a small break when it gets harsh.
Lyrica could help. But you need a doctor if you want to this and feel safer.

I refill in 9 days and have 15-20 left. Started slow but quickly increased to about 20 a day...

I have topirimate but not lyrica. Was offered lyrica and either 75 or 100mcg of fentanyl by provider. I opted for dilaudid due to the IR and rush of dilaudid though maybe I will ask for some patches because last time I had them they did not seem to work. I switched them out for 5 or 10mg percocets and trashed the fentanyl.

Thanks for the responses so far. I am holding off and am going to try halving to 2mg pills and coffee.

it's tough to go cold turkey but you can do it **even w/o medical assistance.
or
clonidine can help
lyrica or gabapentin can help
loperamide (immodium) can help
buprenorphine (suboxone/subutex) can help

or just tough it out, it's totally possible, ask millions of junkies.

EDIT: oh yeah topirimate will help too!

Oh yes, it's possible. I would not go for subs though.. From my experience, it's not a good trade. Much more difficult to come off of that. As I usually say, you can do whatever you set your mind to. As for tapering, if that's your option suggest you choose for something temporary.

Quitting is the easiest part sometimes, keeping yourself clean is the real deal. Quite rewarding. Despite all emotional steps you'll go through, you come out as strong as never before.

Good luck!

Since I have topirimate what's a fair dosage to help ween off any cravings/urges or sickness?

I have some 25s, 50s, but mostly 100s. Should I be taking them regularly or as I think I may need them?

I would try to get over with it as fast as possible. Cravings come and go, you have to deal with it. One day at a time, one hour at a time if it comes to that. Everyone is different, withdrawals normally take 7-8 days. I am not very familiar with topirimate but 50s seems to be more commonly used. Start with 25 and see how it goes. And keep in mind that cravings do not last that long. Keep yourself busy, the first 72 hours are the worst. Keep us posted! You can do this!!

Oh yes, it's possible. I would not go for subs though.. From my experience, it's not a good trade. Much more difficult to come off of that. As I usually say, you can do whatever you set your mind to. As for tapering, if that's your option suggest you choose for something temporary.

Quitting is the easiest part sometimes, keeping yourself clean is the real deal. Quite rewarding. Despite all emotional steps you'll go through, you come out as strong as never before.

Good luck!

I was enjoying feeling like superman for a little over a week. :) My doctor is aware of it, as its the first time in 10 years I walked over 5 miles in a day. In fact I walked over 10 miles. I told him I'm taking these pills specificly to improve my qualify of life. I used to take it just so i could feel motivated enough to get out of bed, go shower, buy food, etc. but thanks to Prince dying he said he didn't want to prescribe them behind two months.

And obvious very easy to abuse ...

Well with the amount you have left, you should be able to take about 8mg per day, and with a little self control, avoid most if not all of wd, until your refill day. When next month rolls around, remember this situation and learn from it though!

- Hopeless Soul

Since I have topirimate what's a fair dosage to help ween off any cravings/urges or sickness?

I have some 25s, 50s, but mostly 100s. Should I be taking them regularly or as I think I may need them?

I have found 100-200mg a day spread out in 50-100mg doses taken 2-3 times a day to be effective.
I'd take them regularly as IME they usually take just a bit of time to build up in your system before really starting to work.
and definitely (I assume it goes w/o saying that you will be but just saying) lower your dosage of dilaudid significantly. it's possible you may find the topirimate to make you rather sedated.

thanks I'm trying 25mg of topirimate 3x a day and 2mg of dilaudid 3x a day. trying to conserve my opiates as I feel I might snap and insulfate a nice thick line.

I have managed to slow down with the help and suggestions of everyone here. I was initially excited and I think like a lot of others wanted to enjoy the experience as much as I could...when I saw all the little pills it's very overwhelming, it is at first, you think, I'm not going to run out anytime soon, this little guys got a lot of friends! except it doesn't take long before you realize you've drowned all his buddies.

I am considering asking my pain doc about halving the hydromorphone from 168/4mg to 84 and doing a couple weeks on fentanyl, or rather, I'm sure he'd probably have me combing the two. As I understand it, fentantyl is not euphoric, which is fine with me. I'm going after the energy side effect. It improves my overall quality of life. I can read books, walk, swim for hours, go for long drives, be engaged in an activity for a period of time, do yard work, etc....

Do others here have experience with this? hydromorphone definitely dulls the pain, relieves just about any and all aches I have, but the main reason for my script is to alleviate isolated areas of chronic thoracic pain from T6-T12. I'm feeling a little balsy, tempted... to see if maybe I can stay at the current 168 and get fent lol... I know some get well over 200 hydromorphone 4mg in a month and fentanyl.

yes the horrible life of a drug addict ???

Last edited:
Fentanyl is too strong though. And it makes us feel a bit lethargic imo/e. It costs too much and sometimes you don't get what you expect. But we are all different. So my only concern about fent. is about its strength and of course how harder that is to come off of later on.

Like you said, the horrible life of a drug addict. :\ what a nightmare..

hmm. I wonder if I might benefit from a lesser dose of fent, like 25mcg/hr to avoid being lethargic. At the present, I am not concerned with cost since I have Medicaid and all is paid for. 100%. It's my understanding however that when and if, and this may happen in the upcoming months, as I have applied for SSDI and supposedly the judge has issued her verdict in my case, that Medicare subscribers do indeed pay a portion of their medical bills. so at some point this will likely become a factor. that and my pain doc currently shoots me up with lidocaine and cortizone. When I had insurance through work, this procedure was billed at 10K, 80% coverage. Out of pocket 2 grand.

^ Outch!

I also had an excellent, really outstanding insurance as well but the cost we had to pay afterwards (except for surgeries) would be somewhere in between 18 to almost 30%.

Does OP have access to a Doctor or Practitioner who can prescribe medicine? This is going to be the real deciding factor in this situation, as if you can't afford or otherwise don't have access to a prescriber, it's going to be significantly more difficult to obtain medicine to help ease your symptoms, although there are a limited number of other the counter options available.

Clonidine - Gold standard. Helps with sleep, temperature intolerance, RLS, high blood pressure etc.
Gabapentin/Lyrica - Miracle drugs for me personally. Affects a wide variety of symptoms and makes a huge difference, especially RLS/Akathisia
Loperamide - Opioid, cross-tolerant with other Opioids. In small doses, controls Diarrhea; in higher doses completely alleviates withdrawal. Higher doses are not recommended as they will screw your tolerance badly, not to mention what we now know are potentially lethal cardiac side-effects from taking too much.
Cannabis - Spurs appetite. Might allow you to take in fluids more easily.

These are just off the top of my head as being the most important for myself. The Loperamide is Over The Counter, but nearly everything else is going to require prescriptions, but are not hard to get otherwise.

I'm over the withdrawal, at least a significant portion. It took a couple days after literally doing around 30-45mg of dilaudid daily to settle down. I've read others do way more, anything over 12-16mg is a waste imo if you're insulfating or orally ingesting the drug. Not sure about mainlining, I assume 2-8mg will send you to happy land.

Really wanted to avoid seeing an outside doctor. Worst case scenario I was tempted to get Librium or Clonazepam. Librium is pretty easy to get from the ER docs. Had a script for 3 a day 2mg kpins a while back when I was last on hydromorphone and I literally kept nodding off and crashing into my plate of food. Had probably mixed about 12mg of HM with benzos (usually 1mg). Sometimes it knocked me out. Sometimes not. Anyway for me it was always a pleasant experience. Woke up refreshed, never hung over, slept a hard 8 hours each night. I suffer from high blood pressure so the combo put me in perfect health, where others may be at risk. What a lot of people don't know is that the studies involving opiates and benzos, mixed together or standalone, show that more people have died during an invasive post op surgery, were the elderly and people otherwise in poor health. That accounted for 77% of the ODs and death from what I could put together. The remaining was likely straight up abuse. I use that statistic whenever I get the drug interaction talk. Generally as long as both prescribing physicians are aware, they don't have an issue. Someone who is epileptic and taking 20 kpins a day along with opiates, well, they gonna die.

Anyway seeing an outside doc would have triggered a registry entry into the PMP (prescription drug management program) database, even if I paid cash. My pain doc checks this every time I see him. After Prince died he has got tight with his pad and I am not ready to quit all together just yet... ?