• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Need help concerning Subutex/Suboxone

gruvr777

Greenlighter
Hi all, new to the site.
Me, I have been an addict (Heroin) since I was 17, i'm now 52. I have had long periods of sobriety 12 yrs, 3 yrs, etc. I am totally new to suboxone/subutex. I recently started with a Dr. He started me on Subutex for about 4 days. I wasn't sure how I felt the first day, second day, third... He started me on a half, and told me to keep taking half at a time trying to take as little as possible. I still felt kind of sick until I finally on about the 3rd day took a whole one of the subutex. I kinda blew it and did dope for 2 days after the 4th day. My question(s)
One, can I just start over when I get sick tomorrow, and two, will the actual suboxone work better? I have 4 subutex pills left. I have to work on Mon, today is Sat, and I anticipate being sick on Sunday if not tonight. I thought it was supposed to take it all away like a miracle drug, but at least on the smaller doses I still had stomach issues. Like I said when I took a whole one at once I think I did feel a more pronounced difference. And to clarify I have not tried the Suboxone yet. I have read the only difference between the two is the naloxone.

I will answer any questions, and appreciate any experience from the group.

Ime you should be able to dose the subs once your sick. Don't lie to yourself though make sure your sick. They do work well for physical wd. Everyone's different though. Idk if it will work better, you could be one of the people that have a bad experience with it. No difference in subutex vs suboxone other than the naloxone garbage. Good luck!

Being sick

Ime you should be able to dose the subs once your sick. Don't lie to yourself though make sure your sick. They do work well for physical wd. Everyone's different though. Idk if it will work better, you could be one of the people that have a bad experience with it. No difference in subutex vs suboxone other than the naloxone garbage. Good luck!

I thought it was strange that the Dr. Started me off on it after being only about 24 hrs sick. I had thought you needed to be sicker than that. I had stomach distress, watery eyes, mild body aches etc. He started me with a half, which didn't seem to have much effect. How sick would you wait to be? Like 2nd day detox, first day like he did? Also was I understanding people correctly here that they were crushing them and snorting? I know addicts are capable of abusing anything, but would there be any good reason to do that? Faster relief?

Yeah man subutex and suboxone should both feel and act the same. The naloxone in suboxone is rendered pretty much inert due to buprenorphine's MUCH higher binding affinity.

If I were you, I'd wait until I'm in the midst of full withdrawal (legs have been kicking for hours, nose and eyes salivating like crazy, bone/joint pain at 5/10+, etc) and dose 8mg going 2mg at a time (if you have subutex tablets, consider insufflation as the bioavailability is better, it hits you harder, etc). Then go for a rapid taper (6-4mg the next day, 3 or 2 the next, then 1, then 0.5, then 0.25, then jump off).

I made a post where I basically diaried my rapid subutex detox over the course of 8 or 9 days (I think I went 12-6-4-2-1-0.5-0.25-0.25-jump). Check it out for ideas/inspiration.

Good luck. The BlueLight community is here for support whenever you need it.

I can say though that you have a great doctor. Most doctors I hear about are all in it for the money so they tell addicts that they have to be on subs sometimes "for the rest of their lives", sometimes in doses exceeding 24mg/day. That's just insane. 8mg (staggered, not all at once) should be more than enough for your first dose and then continue on a rapid taper is the best advice there is. Don't take buprenorphine too long or your brain will become habituated to it. The idea is to take it to mask the suffering of acute withdrawal for some days (for some it's a week, for some two, but never more IMHO) until your body is over not getting any more H.

Last edited:
So if taken correctly, and it works as it should can I expect to feel relatively "normal" physically?

Yeah man subutex and suboxone should both feel and act the same. The naloxone in suboxone is rendered pretty much inert due to buprenorphine's MUCH higher binding affinity.

If I were you, I'd wait until I'm in the midst of full withdrawal (legs have been kicking for hours, nose and eyes salivating like crazy, bone/joint pain at 5/10+, etc) and dose 8mg going 2mg at a time (if you have subutex tablets, consider insufflation as the bioavailability is better, it hits you harder, etc). Then go for a rapid taper (6-4mg the next day, 3 or 2 the next, then 1, then 0.5, then 0.25, then jump off).

I made a post where I basically diaried my rapid subutex detox over the course of 8 or 9 days (I think I went 12-6-4-2-1-0.5-0.25-0.25-jump). Check it out for ideas/inspiration.

Good luck. The BlueLight community is here for support whenever you need it.

I can say though that you have a great doctor. Most doctors I hear about are all in it for the money so they tell addicts that they have to be on subs sometimes "for the rest of their lives", sometimes in doses exceeding 24mg/day. That's just insane. 8mg (staggered, not all at once) should be more than enough for your first dose and then continue on a rapid taper is the best advice there is. Don't take buprenorphine too long or your brain will become habituated to it. The idea is to take it to mask the suffering of acute withdrawal for some days (for some it's a week, for some two, but never more IMHO) until your body is over not getting any more H.

So if taken correctly, and it works as it should can I expect to feel relatively "normal" physically?

I'd say so. It's always worked for me IF taken correctly. If taken too soon, it will cause your withdrawal to feel worse. But yes. You should be fine.

You should feel pretty normal minus some cravings. It works great but for me I really crave something that helps for pain. It's great in a bind though and if you don't have insane pain issues then u might not jones as hard as I do...

You really should stick to the subutex, you might be one of the people that are hyper sensative to naloxone and get ill from it. I am one of those people. Basically there is zero reason for you to change. For most people they are the same, but why risk going on the one with that toxic garbage?

I am with mad dash and he knows we feel the same way, especially someone that has been an addict for so long subutex works a lot better. it helps ease the pain associated with withdrawls and the slight euphoria you get really helps you not crave a full antagonist. I have chronic pain and a huge opiate tolerance, and suboxone works but subutex is way better man........I dont care what the say about the naloxone being non active and not getting into your system with only 1 to 3 percent bioavailiablity........it does something and it dosent work as good, wnich is why I think subutex is better. Herion addicts crave the euphoria and rush.....well the needle too. Point being is you still get some of that with the subutex...........not so much with the suboxone........Not to mention its suboxone is way more expensive. you have a much better chance staying clean on subutex