• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Need advice to detox

BBaBiii

Greenlighter
Hey guys! This is my first time posting..I really need some advice on a detox plan any & all opinions are welcome as I am desperate to get clean!

I will give yall a little bit of background on me I am 29 years young 8)
I started using Roxies 30s when I was 24 but I never had a problem coming off of them I cant remember ever going through withdrawal from the Roxies but I also would only use for a couple of days maybe a week tops then take a break for a few days.

Well 2 years ago I started using H and I have been using on and off since
I have gotten clean 3-4x always on my own with the help of Subutex
Most recently I have been using H everyday since February of this year
I only snort it and I currently use 0.5-1g a day I have plenty of subutex & suboxone but I had a awful experience with the subutex in April and put myself in PWs & thought I was dying!

So here I am looking online almost everyday to get ideas for the easiest way to get off of H I only use to not be sick I can however still get high I just choose not to I want to be done with this so bad but since I went through PWs I am extremely scared of the Tex & boxe!

Anytime I have gotten clean it is because my plug doesnt show and Im sure Im sure I have always started tex to soon but by the 2nd day I feel a little better meaning my tummy issues are gone & I only use the tex for 3 days to get through the worse of the WDs.

I do have access to Methadone & I have never used it before but I like the idea that you don?t have to be sick to start and no risk of PWs I guess Im wondering can I use Methadone for a few days to get through the worse of the H withdrawals stop it & be okay? Or will I just withdrawal the same once the methadone is out of my system? I have heard different things regarding this just trying to get some clarification.

I appreciate all the advice I can get!
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I was using H for 3 years straight. Broke my arm and cracked 2 ribs after a very drunken night at 17 and got loaded on percs like candy. A little after my 18th bday, after about 360 percs scripted to me over 4 months, my doctor said ?well bud, looks great, Your good to go?
I was like ok, can I just get my prescription? At this point Im almost out, a week before I would be able to get it a new bottle filled so I was taking just 1 a day for the past day or so as opposed to the 5-6 I was taking this last month. I didn?t take my whole script the first month so I had a bunch left over and then the pain was gone and it was like fk I love this feeling! Anyways he hands me my script and I walk out to the car, went to Cvs and waited. I got a big bottle of ibuprofen 600. I was like WTF is this?! They are oxycode! Argue with the pharmacist, call my doctor and he?s like oh no bud. Your good, you don?t need to take the oxycodone. Long story short I couldn?t afford pills on the street and introduced to H and fell in love.

All 4 of my detox I went cold turkey as far as opiates but had Xanax. I got clean but never did stay clean. My 5th One i used suboxen (orange tabs off the street) and with the help From a friend I broke the pill in 4?s. I took 1/4 in the morning when I started puking (well after I was done) it was a miracle. I started feeling crappy at night and took a 1/4. After 1 week I only took 1/4 a day for a week and then stopped. Experienced some WD symptoms but nothing as bad as cold turkey. Anxiety was taken care of with kava kava, sleep was like 2-4 hours the first couple weeks and then after that it returned back to normal. The cravings were my battle now. Cravings and not feeling like myself for a year.
I started feeling better. I won?t lie, it was hard and I HATED people that said ?it?ll get better? I wanted to knock them
Out lol.

I stayed clean for over a year until I sprained my ankle and was honest with the doctor about my addiction which you HAVE to be or else you?ll be screwed. Doc Gave me tramadol. ?Don?t worry. It?s not addicting. My first tramadol was like a light came on. I was back to my normal self. I wish I could say I?m 100% clean but for the last couple years I?ve been taking trams. I don?t take a abusive dose. 200mg a day, I?m definitely dependent on them and my goal is to be off them completely soon. The WDs from trams are 100X worse than H so please don?t take my story and think if you use trams you?ll be good because if I could take it back I wouldn?t have. I just struggled with the depression after using which back then I didn?t know it was depression. I thought it was just lagging and wanting to sleep all day long.

Good luck on your journey. Suboxen helped me tremendously but if I had gone to a sub doc I think they over prescribed like crazy. You need to WD as an addict. That?s my personal opinion. You can?t quit with no repercussions, there is no way. Use the subs just to take you through first week which is brutal and then taper to 1/4 and get off them. Look into herbal stuff. I never believed in herbal supplements but kava, valerian root, Passion flower and b12 vitamins help so much!

Thank you for taking the time out and responding to my post!

I took a second and read your other post, saw you live in GA I live in NC so we are kinda neighbors lol
Dont worry, I am not trying to trade one for another I just want to be completely off
Crazy to hear tram WD is worse than H WD!

I just want to be clean easier said than done I guess 8(

Getting past the acute withdrawals are in my opinion a walk in the park when compared to post acute withdrawal symptoms that go on and on.

What kind of support network you have available?

It is quite essential for the long run to get enough support for yourself but forms in which they come may be totally different for different people.

Thanks for responding MrRoot! 8)

Honestly I’ve never struggled with anything other than the withdrawals in the beginning once I get past that I will take a low dose of xanex for my anxiety (which I have always struggled with anxiety was diagnosed when I was younger) or if I cant sleep. I have heard of PAWS but never have experience it myself. The hard part for me is getting through the withdrawals when stopping H.

I have my friends and family as support I know how beneficial it is to have a good support network. I worked at a suboxone detox for two years in my early 20s before I became one of the people I use to take care of. :(

Ah yes! PAWS are no joke. For me anxiety was the worst in both physical WD and I feel like it was 10x worse when I had the PAWS. But here’s the weird thing. I didn’t experience any PAWS when I got off it the last time with the low suboxen doses and the herbal remedies. Every detox from rehab I had the worst rebound anxiety all the way around and PaWS felt like they were never going to subside and that’s honestly why I ended up self curing it with a oxy one day, 2 days off, oxy, and so on and you know the outcome.

Go to meetings and get a support system outside of your family and friends. Trust me, it’s a good thing to have. My sponsor and I (yes I still call him my sponsor) are good friends, he’s like family now but his first words of advice always stuck in my head and helped me. Go to meetings, I preferred AA over NA because NA I felt like we’re court ordered folks who weren’t there for the right reasons. AA has the seasoned guys/ladies that are so helpful. I’ll tell you what he suggested I do and I did. Go mingle at a few meetings, treat meetings like you treated your time getting your dealer to get you H. Saying you don’t have time is a cop out. If it was H you know damn well you’d wait hours for it. Lol...the hours lost waiting for my dealer smh...so many hours..anyways..mingle at the meetings with folks, get some #’s, about 6-10, numbers of long time seasoned addicts that agree you can call them anytime. When your having a shitty day and the urge is bad, start at #1 and if you get to the last # and no one has answered then use. I looked at him like WTF when he said that but I had a few times that I was in that predicament and ya know...the 1st number always picked up. I never had to go down the list.

You can pull yourself out of PWDs if you need to. You just have to use a lot more heroin than usual. It's worth noting, if you're terrified of starting a bupe-course, it's possible to kind blend it in, like use H & bupe until you can handle the bupe, then you just keep upping the amount until you feel OK.

A couple things, even if you're planning on stablising on around 12mg/day or so, when you start-out, just keep taking 1-2mg at a time - that way, if you get PWDs and they're unbearable, it won't take as much H to pull you out. Then, once you can manage just the bupe (you'll feel shit, but manageable) - that's when you slowly just start taking 2mg every hour or so until eventually you'll feel OK.

EDIT: I'm on methadone myself. And a couple things with that: It's a much more toxic/dangerous drug than bupe or even heroin. It's much harder to come off of methadone than it is bupe or H. It's harder to go from methadone to bupe, than it is H to bupe. Methadone is basically a last-resort, in the sense that in many ways you might as well sill be using smack, except methadone is more financially viable and plus it's from a steady/reliable source. But it's a heavy medication to be on all the time and it's far more restricted than bupe, so organizing work, holidays, etc - is all more difficult if on methadone.