• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need advice from Poppy Seed Tea experts. For safety!!!

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
Calling all PST experts.

I'm using PST to help manage my withdrawals while I taper down from Oxycodone. It works great as a tool to help me get off Oxy because while it doesn't usually make me feel "high" in the normal sense, it does successfully combat withdrawal symptoms and even legitimate, non-drug related pain.

So here's the problem.

I'm trying a new brand of PST and as you know, it's very hard to tell how much morphine you're actually getting. The old brand I used before, let's call it brand A, I have used enough to know how to use safely. But these new seeds, lets call them brand B, the tea I've made from these seeds tastes substantially different than brand A. I need to know if this means that Brand B is STRONGER or WEAKER. I just drank a lot of Brand B because I'm having severe pain and I have maxed out on my limit for Oxycodone today. After I drank it I realized that this would be a heavy dose if it were Brand A, so I'm worried that if Brand B is stronger I might have put myself in danger.

So let me try to describe the differences in taste in case anyone out there would be able to figure out which one is stronger.

Brand A: Definitely tasted bitter, but not in a harsh way. When mixed with lemon juice this tea was actually very drinkable. The color always came out clearish yellow. Mixing with orange juice would completely cover up the bitter taste. Although the taste of the tea seemed mild, I sometimes got sleepier from this tea than 10 mg of Oxy. Not higher than Oxy, it didn't make me feel nearly as good as Oxy, but it made me comfortable and sleepy and a bit "noddy" in the traditional sense. My dose was 2 and 1/2 cups from a 5 lb bag, and I drank it slowly over an hour. (I don't weigh out dosage, I don't know how everyone else does that with seeds! I use volume for measurement.)

Brand B: Tastes very strong. Has similar bitterness as Brand A but has a different quality. The only word I can think of to describe it is METALLIC. It's more... metallic tasting than Brand A. Lemon juice does not make this tea more drinkable. The color comes out a bit more brown than Brand A. Mixing with orange juice does not cover up the taste. I took the same 2 and 1/2 cup dosage in roughly 32 ounces of water. But the differences is I pounded it all down. Drank it all at once. I literally took like 15 shots of that stuff until it was gone because I can't handle this pain right now.

Based on what I said do you think that Brand B is stronger than Brand A? I do know that the browner/murkier the liquid is the stronger the tea, but the key difference I'm confused about is the metallic taste of Brand B. I've never heard PST described that way but I can't think of any other word for it. I know that a PEPPERY taste is a sign of bad tea. Could I be confusing this peppery taste with what I'm thinking is metallic?

Also, I took 20 mg Oxycodone earlier. It's definitely worn off by now so I'm not too worried about that. But right before I drank the tea I took 1.5mg of Xanax. I know that mixing benzos can make this all more dangerous. I was fine mixing benzos with Brand A tea but how worried should I be about what I just did? I'm afraid if I fall asleep I won't wake up...

Thanks for reading my long post. I appreciate the time. :)

There is no objective way to judge the active alkaloids in pst.
Lots of people have theories about colour, smell etc - but there is simply no way anyone here can tell you much about your batches of seeds going simply by your descriptions of the flavour. Besides using some kind of elaborate lab analysis, the best way of judging your seeds is to bioassay (ie consume) the tea.

The massive variability in potency is the first reason why poppy seeds are a bad choice for tapers in my opinion/experience.
Put simply, you don't know how much opium latex is on the seeds.

As well as this, people who are addicted to broad-spectrum alkaloid opiates like you get in a poppy seed wash tend to report long, drawn-out withdrawals. This is because you are not just addicted to morphine, but to many different alkaloids which give seed tea and pod tea their unique effects profile - and long duration.
Unfortunately the long duration of effects is mirrored in the long duration of withdrawal symptoms.

If you are using PST in an effort to taper, i would suggest keeping the taper as brief as you possibly can, to reduce the chance of getting a habit for the poppy - and either having a harder time detoxing, or just swapping one addiction for another.
With oxy, you at least have precise amounts in each pill to allow you to taper accurately - and compared to PST, the WDs are over in a few days.
I would suggest that you might be better off pursuing drugs that can make the taper and detox more bearable; comfort meds (of which there are many, such as clonidine or low-dose DXM). There are heaps of threads on this if you do a search.

Tapers are probably the best way to detox IMO - but you need to choose the drug carefully.
Buprenorphine is really good for tapering (in really low doses administered over the space of less than a month, and reduced rapidly) if you can get your hands on a few strips.

Wish you all the best, but would suggest that PST is probably not the best thing to taper with. Fortunately bluelight contains a wealth of information on the subject of kicking opiates.
Good luck :)

PST I used to make was always a milky yellow color, wasn't too bitter, had a distince poppy aftertaste (hard to describe)

Pod tea was usually darker brown and very bitter, esp if it was a strong batch.

I don't think there is a rule of thumb for potency based on taste. Perhaps leave some narcan lying around if this is going to be a consistent worry.

I think you are going to be fine. Tea made from the seeds is usually very weak compared to pod tea. Either one is generally disgusting enough that one couldn't ingest enough to put themselves in danger (although I've never tried to disprove this theory). Just make sure you are not substituting one opiate habit for another, which is an easy thing to do if the detox is not deliberate or you are not careful. The good thing about poppy seed/pod tea is that it lasts a long time (just about as long as oral oxycodone) and it's not easy to abuse (in the way pure morphine would be).

Sorry if this doesn't really answer your question, I am very tired from being up all night so my thoughts are rushed.

^

"not easy to abuse"? I was a daily drinker of Pod tea for 5 years, and PST for two years before that. Was completely addicted, had to switch to suboxone to get off.

Be careful with it OP.

I would stop fucking with seed tea especially with an untried brand. I overdosed on seed tea that I thought was too weak. luckily I had a tolerance otherwise the 5 hours of agonizing nausea, irregular slow heart beat, and uncontrollably passing out could have been my death. In short it's not a comfortable experience to OD on seed tea whether it's lethal or not. Why not try to get a different drug suited for tapers?

Color doesn't matter too much in my experience, bitterness does. Once I had a super bitter batch and it got me insanely high. Always drink slow when you're starting out, but if you have an oxy tolerance then I wouldn't think there'd be a big OD risk. But like spacejunk and others have said, PST is not great to taper with because you never know the exact dose. Kratom would probably be better.