View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[NBOMe Subthread] Short-Term Risks and Side-Effects

sheekle

Bluelighter
I saw some news article about those kids who over-dosed on "25i" (It doesn't specifically say 25i-nbome but it can be easily guessed seeing as how this drug is increasing in popularity. I don't believe it says that any of them died. It also says that the method of administration is snorting and smoking and that it's a dark powder. It's supposedly supposed to be a white powder and snorting and smoking it is risky because it's active in such small amounts. The news article making these claims insinuates that the kids were taking VERY large doses of a very impure product which makes the fact that some of them experiencing brain hemorrhages (I'd assume that's what would have caused brain bleeding), and heart failure less surprising. Amphetamines and other stimulants can also cause these effects, most notably in overdoses as well.

Some people are claiming it's dangerous and not worth messing with. There have been a few different arguments backing up these claims with the most prevalent one being that because it's active in such low doses it's dangerous. I find this argument to be nonsensical and irrelevant on a dose to dose basis. Accidentally taking WAY too much and experiencing ill effects doesn't equate with normal doses being dangerous.

There is some guy who posted in this forum who claimed to have taken fifteen tabs and experienced no ill effects. There is another guy who claims that him and others have taken 50mg with no ill effects. 50mg is basically taking a whole sheet of this stuff seeing as how 500ug is about a standard dose of this stuff from my research. I've read several other reports of people accidentally and purposefully taking very large amounts and surviving through it without too many ill effects.

I also read here on this forum a quoted story about some kid who took only 500ug and started going unresponsive and had to go to the hospital where the hospital staff claimed he could have died because of low potassium levels. But then somebody else pointed out that this story could only be found here on bluelight so the origin of this story was nowhere to be found. (That's not to say that this story couldn't be true of course)

Bout a week or two ago I read an article about how some kid took "bad acid" and died later on, knowing LSD's safety profile it'd be natural to assume that it wasn't LSD he took but rather some other RC. So whether or not this was 25i is unknown but I'd assume unlikely since it's not very active if u just take it like acid and you're supposed to hold your spit.

So somebody said they and others took 15 tabs and experienced no ill effects, and another one said they and others took 50mg and experienced no ill effects. If somebody were to take 1.5 grams of molly they could almost certainly expect negative effects from it correct? If somebody were to take 15 times their normal dosage of opiates they would almost certainly expect negative effects/death correct? If someone took 10 grams of molly they'd be dead, right?

So it seems like on a dose to dose basis this drug is very safe, especially if these 50mg dosage claims are correct.

I also read that this drug does not stimulate a certain receptor that seems to be responsible for protecting the body from allergic reactions of the sort. So that kid almost dying from a normal 500ug dose could have been an allergic reaction to the drug?

So it seems like for the most part this is a safe drug but it could also have unwanted long term effects because not much is known about the long term and rare and extreme negative reactions that may possibly be able to kill people if their body is allergic to it or extremely sensitive to it for some reason are possible as well

I like to research drugs a lot before I try them and I plan on taking this 25i stuff this weekend at a normal dose of 500ug.

Is there any other general information about this drug in relation to its safety that most researchers know that I seem to be missing? Has anybody died from it? I couldn't find any info about that the news article hasn't specified if those kids died or not and the other claim about the kid who had the blue lips and had to go to the hospital says that the kid is still in the hospital. Is there an established LD50? What's the highest recorded dosage that anybody here has taken, what/where there any negative effects from it?

Last edited:
Can you please post a source link? I'd like to know what we are talking about here. If that's cleared up we can make this a priority thread. (And/or subthreadify)

Thanks for the elaborate post. Expect this thread title to be adjusted to '25X-NBOMe Incidents' though.

Yeah if those kids were snorting LINES of 25i, those doses would have been ridiculously high. Think of how much 100mg looks like when its out in a line.

About the brown powder, that sounds like the vendor was not selling them 25i.

Yeah if those kids were snorting LINES of 25i, those doses would have been ridiculously high. Think of how much 100mg looks like when its out in a line.

About the brown powder, that sounds like the vendor was not selling them 25i.

I agree that it's definitely not a dark powder as mentioned in that news article, however the NMR verified 95% pure 25i powder I have is a very light brown, perhaps more tan colored powder, somewhat similar to 2ci. I expect that part of the 5% impurity in the powder is 2ci, so perhaps 99% pure 25i is white, but it is also possible that it is tan as well. Also, remember that powder color and consistency can vary from batch to batch of even a pure substance, depending on various factors.

I know it can very, but this is the first time I have ever heard of it being another color than white, and the kids died.

Your 25i powder is pure white? I actually haven't heard of much 25i HCl that is pure white (like, say, fluffy pure white 2c-e powder), it's more been in the vein of 2ci coloration.

I know it can very, but this is the first time I have ever heard of it being another color than white, and the kids died.

I'm pretty sure they didn't die two had brain bleeding and one had heart failure but I'm pretty sure they still survived and it's suggested that they were taking massive quantities because it says the drug is smoked and snorted.

Here's the news article

http://www.nbc12.com/story/16964534/kids-overdosing-on-new-drug

Last edited:
and heres the "bad acid" incident although it doesn't neccessarily mean he took 25i it can still be in suspicion

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...festival-turns-to-tragedy-20120130-1qpo4.html

then theres a thread titled "should we be dead" where the people talk about taking 15 tabs in this forum

then somewhere else in here i cant find some kid posted a styr bout how some kid only took 500ug and had to go to the hospital because of low potassium levels or something

I'm pretty sure they didn't die two had brain bleeding and one had heart failure but I'm pretty sure they still survived after those MASSIVE doses which says good things about this chemicals safety.

Here's the news article

http://www.nbc12.com/story/16964534/kids-overdosing-on-new-drug

I'm pretty sure the brain bleeding is a bunch of fear-mongering crap since it was referred to offhand in the article without citation and I've never heard anything confirming this.

Also, I don't recall hearing anything about doses in those articles, but the fact that people seized and almost died at all from 25i is NOT reflective of a good safety profile. I've never heard of anything like that from the classics (not trying to diss 25i, I love it, but don't spread misinformation: so far it does not have a good safety profile by any reasonable definition.)

I'm pretty sure the brain bleeding is a bunch of fear-mongering crap since it was referred to offhand in the article without citation and I've never heard anything confirming this.

Also, I don't recall hearing anything about doses in those articles, but the fact that people seized and almost died at all from 25i is NOT reflective of a good safety profile. I've never heard of anything like that from the classics (not trying to diss 25i, I love it, but don't spread misinformation: so far it does not have a good safety profile by any reasonable definition.)

Seizing happens with the classics too. It also says that the drug is smoked and snorted which suggests that those were the routes of administration that these kids were using. Especially since people have reported eating 15 tabs or injecting 50mg (sheets worth at 500ug) with no ill effects.

Either way I'll edit my post for harm reduction purposes because it is a research chemical after all and almost dying from something isn't good

Can you link me to the person IM'ing 50mg's? And any other trip reports of people taking very big doses? 25I-NBOMe is very interesting, I enjoyed it but it didn't feel to healthy to me.

I enjoyed it but it didn't feel to healthy to me.

In what way did it feel unhealthy to you?

I observed a case where ringing of the left ear occurred some 12 or more hours after comedown. Nothing like this had ever happened before. The ringing would only occur when whistling at a certain frequency. Otherwise, there was no ringing. After about an hour ofR noting this very odd side effect, 400mg ibuprofen was taken and the symptom abated. Again, this was noted while sober, some 12 or more hours after comedown, and after having slept for several hours. Two meals had also been eaten.

A dose of apprx 380mcg was taken twice. The first dose was taken as hcl powder that had been dissolved in water. The second dose was complexed with hpbcd about 12 hours later.

With all of these claims of wild doseage levels, isn't it possible that some of this product has been cut with something else to lower its intensity?

I felt friend and foggy in my brain, even for a couple days afterwards. The friendness reached a point were it was dissociating and unbearable in the last 1 - 2 hours of the trip. Made me very confused and wasn't that pleasent. It just felt like how I feel after abusing my serotonin or something like that, felt like it had used up too much shit in my brain if you understand what I mean. Gave me a bit of a headache as well but the good still outweighed the bad.

The first time the subject took 25i-nbome, he had a headache as well. After reading threads about other phenylthylamines, it was discovered that it was most likely due to seratonin depletion.

The second time around, the subject ate a good meal beforehand, and made sure to eat one or two good meals during the trip. Also, try to get some minor exercise like stretching or take a walk. Doing these two things helped ALOT with the headaches.

Eating nutritious foods helps keep your seratonin levels up. So does some light exercise. It's possible to eat while on 25i, and even enjoy it.

Has anyone else had ringing in the ears with low doses of 25i?

Your 25i powder is pure white? I actually haven't heard of much 25i HCl that is pure white (like, say, fluffy pure white 2c-e powder), it's more been in the vein of 2ci coloration.
i have some of the freebase that is around in abundance.
it is finely granulated and tan.

with regards to the ringing in the ears: a little tinnitus is nothing to worry about.
and in fact worrying about it is guaranteed to make it worse. everyone will find they have tinnitus if they look for it.

take some antioxidants before tripping next time if you are worried about the drug affecting your hearing.

The first time the subject took 25i-nbome, he had a headache as well. After reading threads about other phenylthylamines, it was discovered that it was most likely due to seratonin depletion.

The second time around, the subject ate a good meal beforehand, and made sure to eat one or two good meals during the trip. Also, try to get some minor exercise like stretching or take a walk. Doing these two things helped ALOT with the headaches.

Eating nutritious foods helps keep your seratonin levels up. So does some light exercise. It's possible to eat while on 25i, and even enjoy it.

Has anyone else had ringing in the ears with low doses of 25i?

I doubt it's due to serotonin depletion... the chemical doesn't have a known mechanism by which to release serotonin.

If Wikipedia's information is accurate and my understanding of agonists is right, why would it cause serotonin depletion if it's a 5-HT agonist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25I-NBOMe

The ringing in the ears interests me, too - I've heard anecdotal suggestions that tinnitus-like disorders occur (more?) frequently in chronic users of MDMA and similar drugs. Could a form of serotonin dysregulation be the link?

Last edited:
The ringing in the ears interests me, too - I've heard anecdotal suggestions that tinnitus-like disorders occur (more?) frequently in chronic users of MDMA and similar drugs. Could a form of serotonin dysregulation be the link?
to clarify: it is tinnitus unless its a spontaneous otoacoustic emission.

i think MXE and Ket are probably more likely to cause tinnitus via disruption of inhibitory pathways, while tinnitus related to chronic MDMA use would be more likely due to deafferentation along the auditory nerve caused by damage to the inner ear from free radicals produced during MDMA metabolism.

To the posted that said ibuprofen removed the tinnitus-like symptoms; that's odd, because in high doses ibuprofen is known to INDUCE tinnitus. (presumably because COX recycles the audio-electrical tranduction machinery state)

I felt friend and foggy in my brain, even for a couple days afterwards. The friendness reached a point were it was dissociating and unbearable in the last 1 - 2 hours of the trip. Made me very confused and wasn't that pleasent. It just felt like how I feel after abusing my serotonin or something like that, felt like it had used up too much shit in my brain if you understand what I mean. Gave me a bit of a headache as well but the good still outweighed the bad.

Glad it wasn't just me who felt this way :)
still having fogginess and a shadow of a headache 2 days later.