• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nausea while smoking cigarettes on hydrocodone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NagasakiNightmare

Bluelighter
Took 12.5mg of hydrocodone an hour ago, started smoking a rollie while I was coming up and felt uncomfortable. Took a couple more drags, put it down and got up and had the urge to puke. Only spit up a little bit and nothing else came up and it passed. I only had some string cheese with my dose, could that be part of it? Ultimately, I'm curious if anyone's felt nausea smoking cigarettes on vicodin or similar opioids. I figured it would be a decent combination and hadn't really had a problem with it before.

If I didnt smoke cigs I would never throw up on opiates. Almost every time I throw up while im on oxycontin its because I just smoked a cigarette but I dont mind it because cigs potentiate my nod in a big way, for some unknown reason I can go from being a little bit high, then I smoke a cig and im floored and sometimes throw up like you said.

Its nothing to worry about, just be prepared to throw up though, if you really cant handle throwing up then just dont smoke cigs when your high.

When I first started using opiates (pills to be more specific...and Hydrocodone to be even more specific) I used to experience awful nausea when smoking drags from cigarettes. Eventually it no longer bothered my stomach because I was already smoking so much and needed to smoke, while I was still a couple weeks away before my daily opiate habit begun to kick in. I did have a couple friends who would actually puke after smoking a cigarette while on 3 or 4 Vicodin tablets.

mostly, i like cigs when high on opiates. But occasionally they make me sick like you wrote about. Oxy's and vics do it to me

I read somewhere that nicotine affects endorphin levels in the brain..

this is a bit off topic, but no matter what drug ive done including vicoden i have enjoyed cigarettes and never had a problem with them in interaction with any other drug. Usually i smoke them to relax if im just a bit too high or freaking out and need to settle down. Maybe thats just me!

I love smoking cigarettes while high on poppy pod tea. I usually chainsmoke, I just enjoy the hell out of it so much more than sober.

It doesnt surprise me that some people might get nausious from this combo.

I smoke MANY cigarettes while on opies.

Never a problem.

Hydrocodone in general makes me feel shitty sometimes.

Maybe its from all the APAP??

Once I got a tolerance to opiates I *had* to smoke cigarettes with them or my high wouldn't be nearly as I desired. The same went with methamphetamine (only used for like four months...I'm no meth addict) and with marijuana as well.

The nausea is mostly due to excess dopamine release, which both drugs do. It can be easily reversed with a little diphenhydramine or mj, which also can greatly enhance the effects of hydrocodone.

^ That's true, and through the same mechanism as hydrocodone too. But the actual cannabinoid effects counter it, which is why it's used medically for reducing nausea from chemotherapy, and increasing appetite. That and it also inhibits 5-HT, which plays a role in emesis.

Though at really high doses, especially from oral ingestion and in combination with certain other psychoactives, it can cause nausea partially from the excess dopamine. It's actually happened to me twice, first time from a massive dose of weed peanut butter and second time from smoking a fuckload of sativa with tobacco. But at lower doses it effectively eliminates nausea from tobacco and other psychoactives that can induce nausea.

you can get nauseous just from too much dopamine release? are you sure about this? i thought i got nauseous when doing opiates and smoking cigs just because that's the side effect of both of these drugs before you have a tolerance, so i figured combining it made it stronger so even with tolerance i would still get nauseous.

if you really get nauseous from dopamine then why don't i ever get nauseous from smoking while doing drugs that affect DA directly, like coke or amphetamines. i hardly ever or never get nauseous from other one, even when i do huge amounts at a time, or even if i chain smoke. but when i smoke with opiates, i usually get nauseous, especially if i smoke more than one in a short amount of time.

^ Yes, but theirs other neurotransmitters involved in emesis like 5-HT(3), Choline, Histamine, Substance P, prostaglandins and opioids. I'm sure about this.

It is a side-effect of those drugs like you say, but it's from the dis-inhibition of the dopamine pathways along with the actual opioid receptor agonism. I've never gotten nauseas rom amphetamines, but I know some people that do on the come up. Direct releasers of dopamine like apomorphine are used medically to stimulate emesis.

Last edited:
My nausea from smoking nicotine with opiates disappeared within a week or so. Most everyone that I've known stopped getting sick while smoking on opiates in a matter of weeks of doing so. You simply become tolerant to the nauseating side effect of the two drugs. Most people get sick when they use an excessive amount of either one of the two drugs the first few times. Combining the two can be sickening for some when they haven't been using too much of the two drugs on a basis.

I doubt dopamine plays much of a role for producing nausea created from opiate/nicotine combination or the two substances themselves.

Dopamine antagonists are prescribed to prevent nausea, not to induce it. Apomorphine is a non-selective (D1 and D2) dopamine receptor agonist used purposely to produce nausea.

Nicotine and opiates are not dopamine agonists, they just increase levels of dopamine indirectly.

While opied, I smoke like a chimney (cigs). but I dont really like it because its keeps me from nodding out, in contrast to what you all are saying.

I have to smoke cigarettes with any substance that I take but thats probably because I've been smoking a pack a day for like 3 or 4 years. Regardless, I have to smoke a pack a day with or without a recreational substance. I don't smoke much during a 48 hour K-Hole Holiday binge though. Maybe 1/2 a pack at most (during the 48 hour period). I admit that I did smoke a little less on opiates though. Don't use them (opiates) anymore but I still remember. I probably smoke the most on MDMA. I can go through a couple packs a night out.

It seems that I smoke more on stimulants and less on CNS depressants. Marijuana and hallucinogens I smoke more than usual. For me it depends on the substance I guess.

For me cigarettes dehydrate me severely, especially while on pills. Once i did a bunch of adderall and then smoked and threw up. Idk if opiates dehydrate you but that could be, in addition to not having eaten much.

nicotine makes you dizzy - hydrocodone can also make you feel sort of dizzy or lightheaded
combine the two, and your body is like "woah wtf is going on here"
this could contribute to nausea..

Also, I've found that smoking cigarettes will irritate your digestive system by its own accord and cause slight feelings of nausea for those inexperienced with nicotine.
Habitual smokers get used to the feelings of nausea (if there are any) and either don't notice the feelings or they just go away because your body adapts to them.
Hydrocodone and other opiates can cause nausea by itself as well. Some people just can't be on them without puking. And for most people, the threshold for nausea is lowered by opiates.

Also, the act of smoking anything can make some people sick - its just their bodies natural response once the smoke enters their mouth.

So there you go. When combining hydrocodone with cigarettes, its not unexpected for it to cause nausea.

Status
Not open for further replies.