• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Natural tolerance to opiates and benzos

g_dan1

Bluelighter
I noticed that I need a much higher dose of opiates and benzos to feel any kind of effect. For example, when I first took xanax with my friends, they almost blacked out from 1mg and were totally "tripping" on benzos. I took 2mg bar and I only felt relaxed, fully in control of myself and not messed up at all.
Same thing with opiates. My friend took 5mg oxycodone and got extremely high and euhporic. I took 15 mg oxy the first time and barely felt anything. Definitely no euphoria.
I read multiple threads on this forum where people take 200mg tramadol and get high to the point where they can barely walk. I take 200-300mg tramadol and only feel slight opiate effects - relaxation, itching, and maybe a slight sense of well being. I am totally in control and feel almost sober.

I want to know whats the reason I need such high doses of common recreational drugs to feel any effect? I assume it has something to do with my metabolism and enzyme activity? I am 5'11 and 150lbs (68 kg). I have a very fast metabolism and I never get fat, no matter how much I eat.
I would appreciate if any of you can provide some insight regarding my situation.
Thank you very much :)

Do you have red hair by any chance? A lot if DR's are finding that red heads need a lot more than other people to get the same effects. On the other end of the spectrum Asians are much more sensitive and need less than most.

I had reddish hair when I was a little kid (not fully red tho, only reddish shade in the sun). But now it's light brown.
BTW I'm white, eastern european descent.

I'm not sure if you would be affected then or not. I'll see if I can find that study I read. Could just be fast metabolism or who knows there are so many factors it could be.

I,too, have a high tolerance to those substances. I'm a brunette, but my mother and many in her family were/are gingers - coincidence? I really wish I had a MUCH more sensitive metabolism ... then maybe I wouldn't be a recovering addict today.

I feel the same kind of. I didn't really start with a tolerance, I just developed one really fast. I started on 150mg codeine and the next day I needed 300mg for the same effect, and soon enough 300mg did nothing. My brother has ginger hair. He's the only one in our family, but it could do something to tolerance if gingers have a naturally high tolerance. You could always just be lacking in the CYP2D6 enzyme in your liver, or the A26 one that metabolised alprazolam if that information is correct. I believe about 1/10 people are 2D6 deficient. There could be tests for that kind of thing. Maybe if you ask for a liver function test, I don't know