• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Natural Soil Mix Recommendations

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Wondering if anyone here is willing to share their soil mix ratios and ingredients? I’m interested in creating a good nutrient rich soil but not too Nitrogen rich so as to avoid that running into flower stage. I got no problem using water soluble nutes as needed but would love to keep it minimal.

I’ll be using a lignin rich soil straight off the property that’s a forested area that hasn’t been touched in at least 30-40yrs. Which I will use as a base soil to add mix to..

I’m looking for cheap/easy to obtain ingredients that are organic/natural. Thanks for any suggestions!

-GC

are you making an indoor or outdoor flower mix?

you're probably gonna end up with bugs from using any soil thats been sitting outside....i wouldn't recommend that

are you making an indoor or outdoor flower mix?

you're probably gonna end up with bugs from using any soil thats been sitting outside....i wouldn't recommend that

Outdoor. Starting indoors then moving outdoors after a month into a large cold frame. Really? Damn.. I’ll buy a good base soil mix then. Bugs aren’t worth the cost savings.

-GC

yea i would start with maybe like the Kings Mix from Royal Gold if you can get that in your area at the local hydro shop

and then maybe test one plant out in the homemade mix you wanna make? and see how that goes

another good base to start with would be ProMix HP (high porosity) if you can that - that might be easier to find

and where are you located? i can steer you in a better direction based off of that too

Photoperiods, autos have been disappointing in yields in the past. This is a legal operation so thankfully I don’t need anything low profile either.

This will be in an area known for being Zone 5, but the exact location has a small Zone 6 local climate when I zoom in on it. I see this area will be warming up significantly over the next 20yrs too.

It’s a colder area though with lots of precipitation year round.

-GC

it's so weird how many people run Autos now, that i dont even consider it when these subjects come up

so yea zone 5 is kinda cool, and depending whether you're east or west of the rockies, humidity would be of some concern ....so in a more dry area, you can get away with a soil that may hold more water....but then if you're in say somewhere like Ohio, where the humidity goes through the roof, you're gonna wanna keep it simple and porous - lots of perlite or volcanic rock - don't go too nuts on the compost and/or worm castings

a little glacial rock dust or azomite is always nice

maybe some seabird guano

definitely some kelp meal

regardless of what you do, you're still gonna have to start feeding them with liquid nutes or you'll end up with a low yield....im a big fan of fish emulsions and hydrolysates

it's so weird how many people run Autos now, that i dont even consider it when these subjects come up

so yea zone 5 is kinda cool, and depending whether you're east or west of the rockies, humidity would be of some concern ....so in a more dry area, you can get away with a soil that may hold more water....but then if you're in say somewhere like Ohio, where the humidity goes through the roof, you're gonna wanna keep it simple and porous - lots of perlite or volcanic rock - don't go too nuts on the compost and/or worm castings

a little glacial rock dust or azomite is always nice

maybe some seabird guano

definitely some kelp meal

regardless of what you do, you're still gonna have to start feeding them with liquid nutes or you'll end up with a low yield....im a big fan of fish emulsions and hydrolysates

This is great info thank you. Yea east of Rockies, humid as fuck. Mushroom hunting heaven.

I’m definitely planning on using liquid nutes too. I’ve used fish emulsions in past with great results, but back then I was kinda just throwing everything at them that I could afford and it was hard to tell what was doing what.

What are hydrolysates? Any other liquid nutrient recommendations? I was planning on adding Epsom salts in small amounts too for every part of the grow except the first week or 2 and the last few weeks of course of flowering. I used to add seabird guano to my water, let it dissolve and use that too.

Sorry if any of these are noob questions but I just wanna make sure I got all my ducks in a row for this summer. I need this medicine in a bad way, I can’t afford the prices at dispos.

-GC

There are nitrogen nutes that are taken up as needed so you don’t need to worry about whatever your concerned about in flower.

Indonesian bat guano is fire kind to add in, not for nitrogen, the plant takes it as needed. guano taste is unappreciated by me so but it’s gone as long as it’s not added after flower.

Look for what the plants can absorb as needed but are not forced to take.. dummy growing is the best as the plant always knows what it needs and is labor free.

Last edited:
yea and you can always do top-dressings of guanos to correct any deficiencies if you feel like your soil is tapping out a little

i like the amount of calcium from seabird guano that it feeds - but ive done top-dressings as late as week 5 in flower....a top dressing of guano lasts about 2 weeks

i do like the pellets - they're a little more of a longer release than the sieved guano....Roots Organics makes a nice pelletized seabird guano

just gotta be careful with guanos - ive torched plenty of plants using it - so always remember, when you're doing something new, do it to 1 plant just to make sure you don't melt the whole garden

and then there's always alfalfa - nice little N boost there too and it's fairly safe in flower as long as you don't go nuts

but yea - hydrolysates - it's mainly just the whole fish done at a cooler temp....lower npk and safe to use in flower - where you wouldn't really wanna use a fish emulsion that's like a 5-1-1 or beyond in flower although it works great in veg.....fish hydrolysate is usually around a 2-4-1.....Neptunes Harvest makes a really nice fish fert

Wondering if anyone here is willing to share their soil mix ratios and ingredients? I’m interested in creating a good nutrient rich soil but not too Nitrogen rich so as to avoid that running into flower stage. I got no problem using water soluble nutes as needed but would love to keep it minimal.

I’ll be using a lignin rich soil straight off the property that’s a forested area that hasn’t been touched in at least 30-40yrs. Which I will use as a base soil to add mix to..

I’m looking for cheap/easy to obtain ingredients that are organic/natural. Thanks for any suggestions!

-GC
If you're going for natty stuff look into fulvic and humic acids, and mycorrhizae (root symbiotic fungi).

Microbes bring the next level.. I’m not giving away one of my gold standards, but something like Great White will definitely make you smile if your figuring out how to run redline. And I just earned the twenty great white T-shirt’s I was kicked.. no for real it’s decent.

and then there's always alfalfa - nice little N boost there too and it's fairly safe in flower as long as you don't go nuts
Alfalfa will also provide a healthy dose of Triacontanol, a naturally occurring plant hormone/growth regulator.
You can think of it as steroids for plants, one of the effects is increased chlorophyll production.
I used pure Triacontanol instead of Alfalfa extract, and IME you get a greener, bigger, thicker plant.

One of my good friend's down in Humboldt who has a pretty big outdoor setup, he runs Korean Natural Farming (KNF) to feed his plants and he crushes it....saves a ton of money doing it too....that's something to look into for sure if you have the time and space

those are 2 places good to start....he sent me another link that he refers to - i'll ask him for that too again and post it

Lava-starch, some Coco-pead and add some beneficial organisme's that can live in your ground. All cheap solution's but i like the base soil you mentioned. there should be lot's of life in there.

The rest is up to the local composition of the ground. You could do a Ph test and check how the soil is composed. Amount's of Sand to Clay and Hummus ( not the dip for Nacho's).

So elaborate how is your soil?