• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Natural NMDA antagonists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really lol? I didn't realize that, what are some historic ex-vitamins?
Well essential fatty acids are a good example for this. (Alpha-)linolenic acid was discovered sometime in the early 19th century and coined vitamin F since the the body can't synthesize the two molecules, but a few years later the view on this changed and EFA's lost their vitamin status. I'm not sure, but I think it's due to the amounts we need to consume they're simply classified as dietary fat instead.

As for other examples, I resorted to seeking wikipedia for this which has a nice list of ex-vitamins. That's my main source, so take this with a grain of salt!

Catechol was once considered to belong to the vitamer J along with riboflavin. It turned out the former isn't essential and therefore is not a vitamin, while the latter was reclassified as vitamin B2.

Others that didn't fit the profile due to either turning out to be synthesized by our bodies or not being as essential as originally assumed are vitamins B4, B8, O, U, L1 and L2.

Also, bioflavonoids were once considered vitamins (vitamin P), but aren't anymore. Not sure why that is, but they probably aren't essential either. It's still really good shit for lots of reasons, but they don't add to our sex appeal as they do for plants where they usually serve as pigments. EAT MOAR FLOWERS!

EDIT: My choice of words wasn't very good there. I said our understanding of the term "vitamin" has changed, but that's not really correct. The definition of the word hasn't changed, but what has changed are which molecules are classified as vitamins. The only time the actual definition of the word changed was when we realized that vitamins aren't all amines, only a few years after the term vitamine was first used.

Last edited:
Well essential fatty acids are a good example for this. (Alpha-)linolenic acid was discovered sometime in the early 19th century and coined vitamin F since the the body can't synthesize the two molecules, but a few years later the view on this changed and EFA's lost their vitamin status. I'm not sure, but I think it's due to the amounts we need to consume they're simply classified as dietary fat instead.

As for other examples, I resorted to seeking wikipedia for this which has a nice list of ex-vitamins. That's my main source, so take this with a grain of salt!

Catechol was once considered to belong to the vitamer J along with riboflavin. It turned out the former isn't essential and therefore is not a vitamin, while the latter was reclassified as vitamin B2.

Others that didn't fit the profile due to either turning out to be synthesized by our bodies or not being as essential as originally assumed are vitamins B4, B8, O, U, L1 and L2.

Also, bioflavonoids were once considered vitamins (vitamin P), but aren't anymore. Not sure why that is, but they probably aren't essential either. It's still really good shit for lots of reasons, but they don't add to our sex appeal as they do for plants where they usually serve as pigments. EAT MOAR FLOWERS!

EDIT: My choice of words wasn't very good there. I said our understanding of the term "vitamin" has changed, but that's not really correct. The definition of the word hasn't changed, but what has changed are which molecules are classified as vitamins. The only time the actual definition of the word changed was when we realized that vitamins aren't all amines, only a few years after the term vitamine was first used.

Thanks!

you two clowns derailed this thread into bullshit what is vitamin topic ktnx

you two clowns derailed this thread into bullshit what is vitamin topic ktnx
So this is coming from the same person who made the unsubstantiated and untenable claim:
theanine has nothing to do with NMDA
Got anything to contribute to this thread except for spreading misinformation and insulting people?

honestly, im surprised so few people care about adding more to this very interesting thread. perhaps a new thread about the latest research chem of abuse is of more interest....
See how this is a surprising statement for someone who hasn't added a single piece of (correct) information to this thread?

Oh look, another thread ruined by asecin.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.