• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Natural MAOIs

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have some relevant input.

Tis a little-known fact that the Syrian rue plant stores a lot of harmine/harmaline (the maoi, stupid - it was once called telepathine, but harmine had earliest nomenclature nom nom status) in it's taproot, particularly over winter (in the colder parts of Australia, that is). From what I hear from people who grow miles of caapi, syrian root is the natural maoi without equal. There may be some write-ups on Syrian rue root, I just recall my friend confirmed it by shining a uv/blacklight on the roots at night and they glowed quite significantly (apparently harmine/harmaline does this)

I have read some pretty good evidence against many of the hypercautious contraindications re: eating tyramine (or tyrosine, whatever it is, I been outta The Game for a while) when on a MAOi.
Some dude took a big maoi dose and sat there all night eating cheese just to prove his point (yes, he re-posted in the morning).

It's a shame that nutmeg is a maoi. I'd hate to think people resort to it out of convenience. Nutmeg is a beautiful spice and can be an interesting drug, but man oh man, it can have some nasty, evil, deliriant style sideeffects.
Not one I'd recommend to any who weren't already blowing an angel trumpet or cooking with devils tomatoes. :p

Oh one last thing, I've seen passiflora foliage recommended as a maoi.
Don't do this, doesn't passifloria foliage contain large quantities of cyanide?
I remember being sick when trying this on a small scale.
Perhaps the freshness of the foliage was the problem, however PROCEED with caution (only a tiny, shithouse little miniscule bit of MAOI nothingness in passiflora anyhow).

==

from wiki: Eight plant families are known to express 64 different kinds of β-carboline alkaloids. By dry weight, the seeds of Peganum harmala (Syrian Rue) contain between 0.16%[4] and 5.9%[5] β-carboline alkaloids.

As a result of the presence of β-carbolines in the cuticle of scorpions, their skin is known to fluoresce when exposed to certain wavelengths of ultraviolet light such as that produced by a blacklight.

A group of β-carboline derivatives, termed eudistomins were extracted from ascidians (marine tunicates of the family Ascidiacea), like Ritterella sigillinoides,[7] Lissoclinum fragile [8] or Pseudodistoma aureum.
=
Harmine found in root secretions of Oxalis tuberosa has been found to have insecticidal properties.
=
Harmine is found in a wide variety of different organisms, most of which are plants. Shulgin lists about thirty different species known to contain harmine, including seven species of butterfly in the Nymphalidae family. The harmine-containing plants listed include tobacco, two species of passion flower/passion fruit, and numerous others.

In addition to B. caapi, at least three members of the Malpighiaceae contain harmine, including two more Banisteriopsis species and the plant Callaeum antifebrile. Callaway, Brito and Neves (2005)[12] found harmine levels of 0.31-8.43% in B. caapi samples.

The Zygophyllaceae family, which harmal belongs to, contains at least two other harmine-bearing plants: Peganum nigellastrum and Zygophyllum fabago.
==
I thought I recalled something about b-carbolines in poppy seed or some cooking seed, all I found was this unstudied papaveraceae: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_poppy

would it make sense to combine all natural maois in hope for synergetic effects? lets say no synergetics effects are possible in theory, would it still be a useless idea because it's basically all the same?