• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Naltrexone and withdrawal

Ralpha

Greenlighter
Hi all

I have been clean of opiates for 5 weeks following 2 years of being an IV heroin addict. I relapsed yesterday and have been smoking small amounts for a period of 24hrs. I am not re-addicted yet.

I was just prescribed naltrexone and was wondering if I take the naltrexone, would it put me into precipitated withdrawal even though I would not suffer withdrawal if I were to all of a sudden stop using again?

24hrs isn't enough to be re-addicted again, so I'm thinking of having my last little smoke tonight and then starting the naltrexone tomorrow night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go back to being an addict but I left rehab with no meds and it took me a few days to sort out some sleeping tablets and naltrexone.

Thanks in advance

Second Opinion doesn't host threads involving drug discussion. I will send this to BDD where you should get some replies.

SO > BDD

this is copied from my own Naltrexone leaflet;

"Naltrexone should not be used with any opiates e.g. codeine, morphine, dihydrocodeine. This can lead to opiate overdose, and you could stop breathing or get sudden withdrawal symptoms. This is especially true if you try to take lots of heroin on top of Naltrexone to combat its effects."
Probably a good idea to wait a 24hours just to be on the safe side?
So shitty that they just tossed you out on the street after rehab, are you in the UK?

Yes. Wait until it clears your system. If there is fentanyl in it, its metabolite nor-fentanyl can stay active in your system for days after cessation of usage. Plain heroin and 12-24 hours and you should be fine to take the naltrexone.

Thank you for your replies. Yes I'm in the UK. They argued that i was on detox meds and once the detox is over, such as leaving rehab then I will no longer need them.
I eventually got some zopiclone to help with sleep but I really wanted naltrexone too to help with the anxiety but they wouldn't give me it.

Thanks again.