• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Naloxone HCL - oral?

CottonAndGuns

Greenlighter
Hey again! So bit of a funny one. I was given a naloxone injector as part of a drugs training thing (with 5 doses in it). I've always thought that could be a great way of skipping ahead to day 2 of withdrawals. well, 1= is that possible? The other thing is I can't inject myself and my wife flat out refuses, thinking it's a bad idea. She always says I have bad ideas and she's always right, so I'm inclined to side with her a bit. Sooo... 2= what else can I do with this liquid? Put it on my tongue, mix it with a drink and swallow, put it up my ass? I'm guessing it's a full on NO.

I doubt you'll skip to day two so much as knock yourself into immediate acute withdrawal. If you're gonna use it, there's is no point using it other than as directed.

I doubt you'll skip to day two so much as knock yourself into immediate acute withdrawal. If you're gonna use it, there's is no point using it other than as directed.
Dang. Figured as much. So naloxone wouldn't skip ahead to the middle of withdrawals? I always thought it would due to the action. (on a sidenote I'm kinda interested in what naloxone would feel like. Something I'd love to try one day. The thought of jumping RIGHT into withdrawals doesn't sound unappealing to me)

Dang. Figured as much. So naloxone wouldn't skip ahead to the middle of withdrawals? I always thought it would due to the action. (on a sidenote I'm kinda interested in what naloxone would feel like. Something I'd love to try one day. The thought of jumping RIGHT into withdrawals doesn't sound unappealing to me)

Naloxone doesn't feel ANY good in anyway at all. It doesn't feel like anything, but you'll suddenly feel very, very unwell from withdrawals.

Naloxone doesn't feel ANY good in anyway at all. It doesn't feel like anything, but you'll suddenly feel very, very unwell from withdrawals.
That's what I mean though, there's something slightly attractive at jumping right into withdrawals. As my mind is switched onto the "time to get off meds" mode. I know it's weird and illogical. I just definitely don't want to inject myself, and my wife won't budge on injecting me unless I was ODing. The absolute cow [wink]

You can always squirt half up each nostril like paramedics do with Narcan when you OD. Seems to work pretty instantly.

I think your wife is right, this is a BAD idea:

My understanding is forced precipitated withdrawals is not just a short cut to like day 2, it's a short cut to the most intense hell on earth because the rate at which opioids leave your receptors has an effect on the severity of withdrawals.

Meaning, it's going to be way way worse to force precipitated withdrawals then if you let yourself go into withdrawals naturally. Like way worse. There is a reason 'rapid detox' is usually done under anesthesia and under medical supervision.

I am not a pro so I don't know any of this for sure, but please wait until somebody who knows for sure responds.

I think your wife is right, this is a BAD idea:

My understanding is forced precipitated withdrawals is not just a short cut to like day 2, it's a short cut to the most intense hell on earth because the rate at which opioids leave your receptors has an effect on the severity of withdrawals.

Meaning, it's going to be way way worse to force precipitated withdrawals then if you let yourself go into withdrawals naturally. Like way worse. There is a reason 'rapid detox' is usually done under anesthesia and under medical supervision.

I am not a pro so I don't know any of this for sure, but please wait until somebody who knows for sure responds.

Yeah, they have to give you a general anesthetic because it is so painful and horrendous.

Yeah, bad idea. I dont think itll shorten your withdrawals by more than a couple of hours, but it will make those first few hours feel like hell on earth. Best to taper down or cold turkey.
Listen to your wife, PWDs can also be dangerous.
The idea of being thrown into withdrawals may not seem unappealing, but if you do this, you'll sure as fuck regret it!

Thanks for the words all :) you've all been really helpful.

Just a quick heads up about me. Whilst I'm no masochist I did, after years of meds and docs doing nothing helpful, once pulled out a toenail due to a nail infection. Heh. And it worked! It hurt but the infection didn't return!

I think I worked out WHY I want it. Not just to (theoretically/potentially) skip a day of WDS but to feel the absolute worst I can feel, making the rest of the WDS easier as I'd have a recent comparison of how bad it truly can get. On the path to sobriety I reckon having a high and then ceasing intake would be an overall worse experience than if you went *really* bad and then slowly crawled back up. If Day 3 WDS will always feel 100% bad, I think I'd rather be there after having a 150% bad day if you get what I mean.

Well, the thing is that naloxone has a short duration of action meaning that the precipitated withdrawal will start to wane after 90-180 minutes or so. Caeterus paribus that is -- whilst nasal or buccal or sublingual administration is a small improvement, naloxone has lots of trouble being absorbed from the GI tract which is why it is put into things such as tablets of pentazocine, tilidate, buprenorphine, levomethadone and the like to keep people from grinding up the tablets and shooting them. There are ways around this such as the new opioid-induced constipation meds which are, in one example, a combination of a hydromorphinol or oxymorphol and a naloxone molecule, another (naloxegol) being another (a modified naloxone), and other regimens and drugs being based on the micro dose idea.

The kicking down idea for reducing tolerance is sound and people indeed do accomplish this, but non-parenteral naloxone is not the best idea. People do take micro doses of naltrexone with their hydromorphone, for example, to slow the development of tolerance. Dextromethorphan and ketamine are probably better ideas in the long term and proglumide in particular for slowing down and/or reversing tolerance. My old recipe for washing out tolerance was 72 hours on clonidine, paracetamol, hydroxyzine, dextromethorphan, loperamide, nitrazepam, and lots of cold drinks like Coca-Cola and lime-lemonade . . . I had to stop when I had either a very severe bout of angina pectoris or a mild heart attack when I was doing this, caused by the morphine withdrawal but the clonidine probably saved my life.

Last edited: