• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Naloxone becomes an over the counter product from today

Yeah, i agree.
If someone is dropping, it is important to look after them in any way you can.
Nodding and slipping into a state of unconsciousness aren't the same thing - and if a person has fallen into tge latter category, they can't exactly tell you about it.
Which is why user having access to naltrexone is such a good thing; a lot of people are reluctant to call an ambulance, for a variety of reasons.

^

oh well. I'm just saying if you simply count how many times they're breathing, and measure their pulse and what not, then you'll know if theyre in trouble or not:

Respiratory rate: A person's respiratory rate is the number of breaths you take per minute. The normal respiration rate for an adult at rest is 12 to 20 breaths per minute. A respiration rate under 12 or over 25 breaths per minute while resting is considered abnormal.

and

100 beats a minute
A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute. Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats a minute.

Obviously if they're mixed opiates with alcohol or benzodiazepines and they go into an unrousable nod where they are not conscious, at all (usually when someone is on the nod they can utter a few things) then I wouldn't wait for their breathing to get depressed. I'd just give em the naloxone.

But otherwise if its just straight up heroin, they're breathing well (per the descriptions I've given), in the recovery position and you can keep them under constant supervision then I don't think you have to go shooting them up with naloxone.

In fact I find that most people rouse out of a good hearty nod after about 30-60mins anyway.

But to backstop Spacejunk - if your not confident about your abilities to measure the rate of someone's breath, their pulse then your probably best to just give em the naloxone (if you have it) and call for an ambulance.

The consumer advice for OTC naloxone is to always call 000 in case of an overdose, even if you have your own naloxone. The OTC availability is supposed to enable people to keep their mates alive until the ambulance gets there, not give them an excuse to avoid calling the ambulance.

Unless you have professional medical training (and are sober, and are willing to sit there waiting for the individual to wake), I really don't think you're in a position to decide whether someone you can't rouse is or isn't getting sufficient oxygen. Better safe than sorry.