• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Nail Polish That Can Detect Daterape Drugs.

i should dress up as a girl and go to a club so someone gives me some free K or G in my drink >_>

Ketamine is a date rape drug?

According to the Daily Mail and their ilk, yes.

In reality, studies have found that less than 5% of women who report to ER claiming their drinks were spiked actually suffered from any form drink spiking. Instead the problem is generally either willing overconsumption of alcohol or combining alcohol with willingly ingested recreational drugs. And when ''drink spiking'' does take place, the drug used is, in all but the occasional freak case, the same one the woman is ingesting already - alcohol. It's far easier to just add an extra shot of vodka to a beer or something along those lines than to, in a crowded room, surreptitiously:

1) Pour hundreds of milligrams of powdered ketamine out of a plastic container and into a drink. Furthermore, ketamine has a very low oral BA and most of what is absorbed is metabolized into norketamine (iirc?), a far less active and anesthetizing variant, when the drug is ingested orally. Not to mention that ketamine has a strong and distinctive taste.

2) Pour liquid GHB out of a plastic container and into a drink, all the while measuring the dose precisely to align with the woman's alcohol intake so she doesn't overdose and die, as GHB is notoriously dangerous when combined with alcohol. Furthermore, the taste of GHB is even more strong and distinctive than ketamine, even when highly diluted.

3) Pour a pre-crushed benzo (rohypnol) pill into a drink without anyone noticing the several hundreds of milligrams of powdered residue in the bottom of the glass.

So yeah, the reputation these drugs have as date rape drugs is entirely undeserved. Furthermore, there has been a huge rise in recent years in access to drugs that would be suitable for this kind of use. Pure, powdered benzos like alprazolam or phenazepam (among others) which possess strong amnesic, hypnotic and disinhibiting properties and are potent enough to be active in the range of under a milligram (especially combined with alcohol) have become easily and increasingly obtainable over the internet in the last 3 years or so. Despite this, there's been absolutely no alarm or alert that these drugs are being put to use to rape people, which would seem to be the most obvious outcome if there were in fact a large population of men out there slipping drugs into women's drinks at bars and nightclubs for the purpose of raping them.

In short, the myth that a woman in a bar or nightclub faces danger from men slipping ''date rape drugs'' into her drink is just that, a myth, concocted by ideologically motivated individuals to scare women and vilify men.

Haha naive people still think predators are slipping rohypnol into drinks..8)

Haha naive people still think predators are slipping rohypnol into drinks..8)

The problem isn't the naive people who believe the myth, it's the ideologically motivated people who push the myth to suit their agenda.

The problem isn't the naive people who believe the myth, it's the ideologically motivated people who push the myth to suit their agenda.

True. They thrive by playing on people's fears. Often irrational ones like this.

More like the alcohol industry making billions off of the illegality of a drug that naturally occurs in the human body that has almost identical effects to alcohol with almost none of the toxicity, which has to potential to entirely replace their industry.

So yeah, the reputation these drugs have as date rape drugs is entirely undeserved. Furthermore, there has been a huge rise in recent years in access to drugs that would be suitable for this kind of use. Pure, powdered benzos like alprazolam or phenazepam (among others) which possess strong amnesic, hypnotic and disinhibiting properties and are potent enough to be active in the range of under a milligram (especially combined with alcohol) have become easily and increasingly obtainable over the internet in the last 3 years or so. Despite this, there's been absolutely no alarm or alert that these drugs are being put to use to rape people, which would seem to be the most obvious outcome if there were in fact a large population of men out there slipping drugs into women's drinks at bars and nightclubs for the purpose of raping them.

I have to come to the conclusion that any stories about the real non alcohol date rape drugs, like Ambien, will only result in more in more predators trying it. The idiots who tried it with GHB likely got idea from media. I think the media hype pre dates any confirmed attempt to slip GHB into a drink.
The best solution, IMO is to make these drugs insoluble in liquid. And remind people that alcohol is the date rapists drug of choice by far and the victims almost always took it knowingly. It took decades to get the message out that rapists are more likely your friends than a stranger in the alley. One day maybe the message will get out that people need to stop blaming their own alcohol over consumption on the scapegoat of date rape drugs. People today get hammered and need something else to blame for their behavior and date drugs are perfect.

Here's a follow up article .... http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-28958365

What renders this whole thing pointless for me is the fact it's the brainchild of a bunch of males who have zero experience of what it's like to be a female. Dipping your finger in every drink you consume to make sure your not going to get raped? Wtf?

You sure as fuck should not be in a situation where you have to use this in the first place. It's just way out of context.

Going out with your female friends who keep an eye out for you as you do them is the best way to avoid bad situation.

I have been drugged twice and both times I was by myself.

Last edited:
I have to come to the conclusion that any stories about the real non alcohol date rape drugs, like Ambien, will only result in more in more predators trying it. The idiots who tried it with GHB likely got idea from media. I think the media hype pre dates any confirmed attempt to slip GHB into a drink.
The best solution, IMO is to make these drugs insoluble in liquid. And remind people that alcohol is the date rapists drug of choice by far and the victims almost always took it knowingly. It took decades to get the message out that rapists are more likely your friends than a stranger in the alley. One day maybe the message will get out that people need to stop blaming their own alcohol over consumption on the scapegoat of date rape drugs. People today get hammered and need something else to blame for their behavior and date drugs are perfect.

Ambien isn't any more valid than rohypnol as a drink spiking agent (ie: not very). The whole thing is BS. I mean I'm sure there's the occasional copy-cat case (like you say, some scumbag sees ''date rape drug!'' in the paper and decides to try it), but the idea that the nightclubs and bars of the world are populated by men with pocketfuls of GHB/ketamine/sleeping pills for any purpose other than getting so fucked up they end up drooling over themselves and getting kicked out of the club is nonsense.

As I already said, if our clubs are bars really were hotbeds of drink spiking predators, they'd be using pure powdered benzos, and there would have been an orders of magnitude increase in drink spiking cases as these drugs became increasingly more available over the last 3 - 4 years, but this hasn't happened. If there was even one case, the media would latch onto it and never let go. It would be a gold mine for trash rags like the daily mail - NEW SUPER-POTENT DATE RAPE DRUGS AVAILABLE ONLINE - blah blah blah. There'd be a new thread in this sub-forum about it every day. But it hasn't happened, because drink spiking is an ideologically motivated myth.

What renders this whole thing pointless for me is the fact it's the brainchild of a bunch of males who have zero experience of what it's like to be a female. Dipping your finger in every drink you consume to make sure your not going to get raped? Wtf?

I love how a bunch of guys try to come up with a new way to prevent what they see as a threat to women and women respond by lambasting them for it. The real lesson here is that if you come up with a way to reduce rape, don't tell anyone or put it into action, or you'll be lynch mobbed by the SJW/feminist crowd for trying to help them.

I don't understand. Are they striving to get the entire male population of earth to stop committing rapes?

I am anti-rape (for the record), but I have no illusion that such a thing is even possible. We are a brutal species.

The problem is, it's not the entire male population which composes potential rapists. It's a small percentage of the population of both genders.

The problem is, it's not the entire male population which composes potential rapists. It's a small percentage of the population of both genders.

True.

I know men who have drank other people's alcoholic drinks in bars and the drinks did have either a benzo, or GHB in them since they either blacked out, or could tell fast that the alcoholic drink was not only alcohol and a bit stronger than your standard mixed drink that could be watered down.

I love how a bunch of guys try to come up with a new way to prevent what they see as a threat to women and women respond by lambasting them for it.
The real lesson here is that if you come up with a way to reduce rape, don't tell anyone or put it into action, or you'll be lynch mobbed by the SJW/feminist crowd for trying to help them.

Crankinit, I don't think this is quite fair. You yourself just make the point that:

drink spiking is an ideologically motivated myth.

Most women are probably aware that date-rape-by-drink-spiking really doesn't occur very often (Certainly not as often as date-rape-by-alcohol, for example). That means things like this spike-detecting nail polish won't really do that much to help women or reduce rape. In that case, it seems kind of silly for the company to claim (falsely) that it will. It's almost like they're trying to make a buck off of people who believe a commonly-held myth. I think it's fair for people to criticize them because the solution they've offered kind of reveals that they don't truly understand the problem.

Most women are probably aware that date-rape-by-drink-spiking really doesn't occur very often (Certainly not as often as date-rape-by-alcohol, for example).

That hasn't been my experience, the belief seems to be widely held amongst women who frequent clubs and bars, and it's certainly widely held by feminist academics and journalists and the mainstream media (almost every time there's a bust of GHB for example, and often Ketamine, it's referred to as a ''date rape drug'').

That means things like this spike-detecting nail polish won't really do that much to help women or reduce rape.

But the producers don't know that, because they were raised on the myth that drink spiking with illegal drugs is a regular occurrence.

In that case, it seems kind of silly for the company to claim (falsely) that it will.

There's no evidence that the company produced the product knowing that drink spiking via drugs is a myth. Given how widely this myth is believed, you're going to need some hard proof that they were trying to profit off of mislead women, as opposed to produce a product which genuinely aids women, if you're going to make that claim. Otherwise you're just doing exactly what I said, lambasting them for trying to produce a tool to allow women to defend themselves from a perceived threat. It's not their fault they don't know that the threat is nonexistent.

It's almost like they're trying to make a buck off of people who believe a commonly-held myth.

So now you're saying that women do believe the myth? Which is it? And they aren't a corporation, they're a group of university students, they're not profiting off anything. "So far however, Undercover Colors aren’t revealing much detail. The project, which came out of a University initiative to get students to tackle real-world problems, appears to be well short of bringing a product to market. Their website appears to be nothing other than a logo and a request to donate to their research."

I think it's fair for people to criticize them because the solution they've offered kind of reveals that they don't truly understand the problem.

Putting aside the fact that ''the problem'' doesn't exist, how do they not truly understand it?

More like the alcohol industry making billions off of the illegality of a drug that naturally occurs in the human body that has almost identical effects to alcohol with almost none of the toxicity, which has to potential to entirely replace their industry.
It should not matter to anyone whether a drug occurs naturally in your body.

t's the brainchild of a bunch of males who have zero experience of what it's like to be a female. Dipping your finger in every drink you consume to make sure your not going to get raped? Wtf?

You sure as fuck should not be in a situation where you have to use this in the first place. It's just way out of context.

Going out with your female friends who keep an eye out for you as you do them is the best way to avoid bad situation.

I have been drugged twice and both times I was by myself.

Well spoken. I've had the same experience and sentiments on this topics.

Where they have any idea what they're talking about, who knows. If they're all male, maybe one of them has a partner who's experiences something like this or a daughter, mother, cousin, or any loved one who has. And maybe this loved one who might (re:might) be motivating or informing this shite holds said commonly held, erronious belief - the belief that alcohol, for instance, isn't what is the cause of the vast, vast, vast majority of these kind of horrible. But my point is here, is that this doesn't really even matter.

And it's not almost like that company is trying to make a buck off of people who believe a commonly-held myth. That company is trying to make a buck off people who believe commonly held myth no matter how erroneous it might, in reality, be.

Other companies do this all the time too. Such as those who selling products like soda, cigarettes/tobacco, "skin whitening" creams and shite, etc etc. This holds most true with companies who do so en mass (I'm not going to critique a small operation private soda company in the same way I'd do so with, say, something like the makers and marketers of diet coke and coca cola).

Sometimes it's easier to do this, such as when a myth is indeed commonly held, all you really have to do is go with the tide. That's when all you need is some good branding/marketing.

Other times, such a commercially exploitable belief isn't commonly held (e.g. sugar used in products like soda is addictive, poisonous, etc etc) or is no longer commonly held (e.g. cigarettes are bad for you, addictive, etc etc). That's when companies have an incentive in our kind of society to create, recreate, propagate and promote whatever myth(s) would increase their market share. This could require merely some intense misleading branding/marketing (e.g. cigarettes back in the late 1800's and early 1900's), but often includes manipulate, exploitative and predatory means (e.g. cigarettes now).

Welcome to prohibition, the WOD and America (among other places like China as well), where the status qua revolves around cultures of mass consumption - consumption consumption consumption. I won't even use that other work, because it's it's not obviously applicably underlying a lot of this, well, you know...

Last edited by a moderator: