• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

NA/AA meetings trigger cravings?

yeah, dope is everywhere.

Even if up to this point one hasn't had a problem with alcohol (it was my primary DOC, opioids and pot were just the nuts and cherries on my addiction sundae), I don't know what I could have done outside move to Saudi Arabia to get away from it, and I hear they don't even admit Jews into the country. Hell, I went to a conference in Salt Lake City and you can't escape booze even in Mormon country. As a cosmic joke, the county-run detox here is located right next to, and I mean, right next to, a liquor store. Twice, I've walked out of there and gone straight into the liquor store. Isolation isn't realistic.

EDIT: If I could digress just for a second and add a now humorous postscript (there is humor in the insanity), one of the times I was being involuntarily admitted, there was a woman who was voluntarily admitting herself, then changed her mind. She went over to the liquor store and came back a few hours later completely wasted with track marks and bruises up and down her arm. Hello Marchman Act! (involuntary commitment law in Florida for substance abusers)

Last edited:
I understand completly where you are coming from. When I got out of rehab I was suggested to do a 90/90. The first meeting I went to there were people nodding out, and I get it "the only requirement is a desire to quit", but seeing that was a huge trigger for me. Some of the people in the rooms can also be very judgemental about certain things and want you do to everything their way. I also found a lot of drama and cliques in the rooms. I found one really good NA meeting and that's the only one I will go to. I was fortunate to meet a few good, trustworthy women. My suggestion is to search around and try to find a meeting that for the most part sends a positive message (there will always be idiots in every meeting). If you can't find any good meetings and they are still triggering you, don't go. Regardless of what they say in NA/AA, meetings and working the steps are not the only things that will keep you clean. Do what works for you and makes you happy. I know sobriety can be boring at times, but putting you're sobriety at risk by being triggered at meetings isn't worth it.?

That's a huge reason why I don't go to meetings myself. It seems counter productive. I like to engage in non-drug related stuff as a part of recovery.

Hope you are doing well today :)

Same experience for me, Capt H. I'm striving to engage in sober living, literally. My OCD would have a field day ruminating about addiction, so AA wasn't a fit for me. Nice people. I just needed something else. I've increased my exercise and use a FitBit....it's helping. I'm a reader, too.

Find a meeting suited to recovery. If a meeting isn't for you or triggers GTFO

SO glad I found this thread! I thought I was the only one with this problem :(. Meeting just give me cravings and make me feel depressed and restless. I've stopped going because it seemed like they were not only not helping, they were often times making me feel worse. And on top of that, I have some serious disagreements with the AA philosophy and the whole higher power thing. But that's another topic.

It sucks because, like you said, it's hard to meet people when you're in early recovery. Outside of meetings, most social interaction revolves around alcohol. It's frustrating, and makes recovery feel very isolating. I relapsed recently, just because I feel so alone and so bored. Not sure how to climb out from here.

I'm sorry so many other people are going through this same thing, but I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone.

Maybe meetings aren't for me. I already feel guilty enough because I still smoke weed and drink occasionally. (I'm recovering from heroin addiction, never had an alcohol problem)
If you truly feel you've never had an alcohol problem, then maybe AA isn't for you.

I went to NA a few times when recovering from heroin and it helped somewhat for me (I've almost lost count of how many years it's been that I've been off of it).

The most recent meetings I've been attending are actually MA. I go there so I don't have to explain to all the junkies in NA that I'm not a fucking pussy (heroin was easier for me to quit thank you very much).

Anyway, my point is that you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself.

The most recent meetings I've been attending are actually MA. I go there so I don't have to explain to all the junkies in NA that I'm not a fucking pussy (heroin was easier for me to quit thank you very much).

And therein lays a big problem I have with twelve step culture.

Anyway, my point is that you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself.

Amen!

I get triggers alone and the only honest house on the block with an open door left open for me is AA...to put it bluntly

I like/admire the idea of secular recovery but my ways have torn my spirit so low or damaged my psyche to the point I have no faith I can lead myself out of this pit I do eagerly dug to lay in

To be even more honest NA speaks to my poly addiction more frankly than AA seems to be able to knock into my thick skull

I blocked a contact and blew off NA this weekend thinking how if I went to thwart this binge I could have been in prison over or dead (strangely unpleasant physical signs echoing in side) I might not be in the position of forgetting today was Wednesday and being too far gone bingeing to reply to the boss'$ message this morning letting me know my inner calendar was day off

Last edited:
They say you'll find the strongest meetings in places with the worst drug problems

That's why, @Meet0nMe, no offense, but your personal first step sounds a bit sketchy IMO.

You say you want to put yourself in a situation where you couldn't get high no matter what, but I don't get what that would entail.

Unless you live on a deserted tropical island and Robinson Crusoe your way through life, it's really hard to avoid the opportunity to get high. Are you never going to make any money ever again?

That's why the first step (the real one) is just admitting you are powerless over drugs. You don't have to avoid them like the plague, because they are literally everywhere. You just have to know they basically own you if you use them, and decide whether or not you're ok with that
Geographical cure is the fix for an environmental based problem and while I am talking with my mother about acquiring land in the country to start a new lifestyle on I fear addiction runs deeper than one's immediate living conditions however Dr. Gabor Mate has nice things to say about how a toxic culture breeds addiction

I romanticize psychedelics in spite of my experiences telling me I don't use them safely now willing to try NA since AA leaves a door open for me to use drugs contrary to what friends speak to me in the program I am more dishonest than I care to admit

I cannot think I can function and maintain a drug hobby.

The 12 Steps are for people who are broken down so low or simply respond to such spiritual measures effectively enough to not make up more than a tiny percentage from what I can gather but I have lost hope for a solution outside them or I am not willing to keep looking for another option when everything else doesn't make me feel better those feel like they repair the inner sickness but the sickness resists the medicine it's a battle I didn't want to admit I have to fight to get better but I have to go to battle or else

I can't bear the 12 step bullshit and that's what it is, even if it works for some people. It isn't a clinical method, it was started by Christians although they have of course become open to people of all different belief systems. But my experience with AA was terrible - I was shunned for lapsing and having a drink and this made me feel like drinking was better than hanging around those people and listening to their stories again and again.

The whole thing has this underlying aura of self-pity and shame which others have mentioned and I find that counterproductive in terms of recovery. I got the feeling also that this was like a little circle jerk community for people to whinge and moan and enjoy the sympathy. It wasn't for me, I don't pity myself or at least don't want to and don't find it effective in terms of going clean. Quite the opposite in fact.

Around the time I gave it a try, I asked the psychiatrist I saw what his professional opinion of AA/NA was and he referred to them as a "benign cult". I know exactly what he means and this is how I view them.

They may "work for some" as so many say but the same can be said for Christianity or any religion or belief system which gives answers to questions that are difficult. But think about Christianity and the "gay conversion therapy" nastiness that has led to so much misery. I've known some closeted Christians and I am sure that AA/NA acts in a similar way for drug users in that they desperately cling onto their big book and have to call their sponsor or pastor whenever those "feelings" arrive. But I do believe that some are there for company, to make friends and some just to get off on some sympathy and a pat on the back. Some just loved telling their stories too, again and again, the same stories.

How can anyone find this effective at the clinical level which is where addiction needs to be addressed? Yet doctors are always giving out leaflets with information on local meetings (circle jerks). My theory is that this is due to a) a lack of willing on behalf of medical practitioners to address addiction as a health/public health issue, as well as a lack of resources b) not understanding the issue, ignorance in other words and 3) a mixture of these things and simply not giving a fuck about patients in some cases. Just send them off to AA or NA - too much paperwork. They brought it upon themselves anyway. Plenty of doctors think like that.

I saw someone put it highly succinctly once specifically with regards to alcoholism, to paraphrase: alcoholism requires medical attention, not divine intervention.

In the UK at least there is 'SMART Recovery'. I haven't used it but they use an actual clinical method within the group setting, using cognitive behavioural therapy techniques instead of the 12 step nonsense. I don't like sitting around in groups unless it is a real circle jerk but I do like the fact that this is clinically based at least.

I short, AA/NA are cults and can potentially do more harm than good and have been used by the medical community to pass off responsibility for addiction treatment to a non-profit or charity or whatever, like they do with pretty much everything.

From a harm reduction point of view, I would recommend against the 12 step circle jerk cults.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, many people have no support network and going sober alone is very difficult. If you have great friends and supportive family, maybe it isn't needed. If you don't, it's entirely reasonable to give it a shot.

I can't bear the 12 step bullshit and that's what it is, even if it works for some people. It isn't a clinical method, it was started by Christians although they have of course become open to people of all different belief systems. But my experience with AA was terrible - I was shunned for lapsing and having a drink and this made me feel like drinking was better than hanging around those people and listening to their stories again and again.

The whole thing has this underlying aura of self-pity and shame which others have mentioned and I find that counterproductive in terms of recovery. I got the feeling also that this was like a little circle jerk community for people to whinge and moan and enjoy the sympathy. It wasn't for me, I don't pity myself or at least don't want to and don't find it effective in terms of going clean. Quite the opposite in fact.

Around the time I gave it a try, I asked the psychiatrist I saw what his professional opinion of AA/NA was and he referred to them as a "benign cult". I know exactly what he means and this is how I view them.

They may "work for some" as so many say but the same can be said for Christianity or any religion or belief system which gives answers to questions that are difficult. But think about Christianity and the "gay conversion therapy" nastiness that has led to so much misery. I've known some closeted Christians and I am sure that AA/NA acts in a similar way for drug users in that they desperately cling onto their big book and have to call their sponsor or pastor whenever those "feelings" arrive. But I do believe that some are there for company, to make friends and some just to get off on some sympathy and a pat on the back. Some just loved telling their stories too, again and again, the same stories.

How can anyone find this effective at the clinical level which is where addiction needs to be addressed? Yet doctors are always giving out leaflets with information on local meetings (circle jerks). My theory is that this is due to a) a lack of willing on behalf of medical practitioners to address addiction as a health/public health issue, as well as a lack of resources b) not understanding the issue, ignorance in other words and 3) a mixture of these things and simply not giving a fuck about patients in some cases. Just send them off to AA or NA - too much paperwork. They brought it upon themselves anyway. Plenty of doctors think like that.

I saw someone put it highly succinctly once specifically with regards to alcoholism, to paraphrase: alcoholism requires medical attention, not divine intervention.

In the UK at least there is 'SMART Recovery'. I haven't used it but they use an actual clinical method within the group setting, using cognitive behavioural therapy techniques instead of the 12 step nonsense. I don't like sitting around in groups unless it is a real circle jerk but I do like the fact that this is clinically based at least.

I short, AA/NA are cults and can potentially do more harm than good and have been used by the medical community to pass off responsibility for addiction treatment to a non-profit or charity or whatever, like they do with pretty much everything.

From a harm reduction point of view, I would recommend against the 12 step circle jerk cults.
I’ve been in NA for 7 years and been announcing myself as a new comer most of that whole time due to constant relapses. Said I was high in meetings when called on to speak so I declined.

Never had any hate or problems there.

The only issues I’ve had is when people come at me with religion I just say “im a scientist with a PhD” and they ghost my ass forever at that point. These people aren’t recovered though despite being clean. Neither am I maybe that’s a remark I know is going to hurt them. But I think them coming at a person that could be any other religion of athiest without knowing and talking about Jesus is the first shot fired so I beleieve I’m justified there.

The truth is that it’s a group of fucked up mentally ill people drugs or not….most of them are stupid and uneducated; but I have found some absolute gems of people in terms of wisdoms and intelligence that were worth digging through all the rocks

Old thread but my last meeting I went to was 32 years ago. I remember a guy speaking saying some meetings he comes out feeling grounded and centered. Pretty good. Then he said other meetings he comes out feeling like he wants to chug a bottle of whiskey while jabbing a needle of heroin in his neck. I thought that said it all.

I was lurking here not for myself but for my stepbrother who is going to meetings (NA and AA) because of his cannabis issues. Without going into details about his case, my mom sees me as the to go person when she has questions about what she calls "alternative life styles" and it seems my stepbrother's recovery isn't going well, which he blames on not finding good meetings for support.
So he isn't doing well, this his dad isn't, either. Which worries my mom, and brings me here with a question:

Is there a method by which you can find meetings that might help you? My stepbro said he would like to have a group rather than different people all the time (groups work for him when he was in rehab). He lives in Chile, but there's little Santiago hasn't to offer (compared to the rest of the country).

If that is the case how is being next to people using on here?

I mean one has to come to a point where they don't let their environment determine their choices or not always influenced and swayed by outside forces but to say sober support meetings are a trigger is to ignore the triggers mainstream society has planned for us

If that is the case how is being next to people using on here?

I mean one has to come to a point where they don't let their environment determine their choices or not always influenced and swayed by outside forces but to say sober support meetings are a trigger is to ignore the triggers mainstream society has planned for us
Very true. I like this perspective.

I was lurking here not for myself but for my stepbrother who is going to meetings (NA and AA) because of his cannabis issues. Without going into details about his case, my mom sees me as the to go person when she has questions about what she calls "alternative life styles" and it seems my stepbrother's recovery isn't going well, which he blames on not finding good meetings for support.
So he isn't doing well, this his dad isn't, either. Which worries my mom, and brings me here with a question:

Is there a method by which you can find meetings that might help you? My stepbro said he would like to have a group rather than different people all the time (groups work for him when he was in rehab). He lives in Chile, but there's little Santiago hasn't to offer (compared to the rest of the country).

The first advice is to get to the meeting 30 min early. The talks before the meeting 1 on 1 with ppl are way more valuable than the formal meeting itself.

My honest truth is that no meeting or rehab is going to do shit until the addicts receives immense punishment and consequences. Only then will they have the desire the change. That desire isn’t going to come from anything other than direct first hand experiences of hell (I started another thread on this exact topic in this sub forum recently).

Even after all that punishment….and desperation to change…life can still beat you up so hard that you relapse. That’s where I’ve been stuck at for 7 years. But god I would trade fucking everything to undo the addiction. It hasn’t been about fun or escape for almost a decade it’s all been revolving around physical pain caused by the damage drugs did. I feel like I went too far and there is no coming back sometimes.