Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

N.Z. - Future legal highs so weak I don't see them as drugs: Key

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Future legal highs so weak I don't see them as drugs: Key
Vernon Small and Stacey Kirk
Stuff.co.nz
May 6th, 2014

Legal highs on sale in future will be so weak they will not be considered drugs, Prime Minister John Key says.

He said yesterday he would never back the legalisation of recreational drugs, because there were plenty of other things to keep Kiwis amused.

"I personally will never support the legalisation of drugs in New Zealand as long as I am prime minister in Parliament," he said yesterday.

Under a new law to be passed under urgency in Parliament today, legal highs would have to go through a tight approval process to be sold, but after a U-turn by the Government they could not be tested on animals.

"If a product needs to be tested on an animal and that's the only way for the health department to confirm it's low risk, then you can't manufacture it in New Zealand," he said.

Read the full story here.

Well, so much for that. I was sceptical about this from the get-go and it seems that I was right to be. It's really too bad, New Zealand could have been a drug-policy pioneer. :(

"Legal" highs.. weak? Obviously he hasn't heard of 25i.

The people making these drugs seem to be EXCLUSIVELY looking for compounds that are VERY potent compared to the classic drugs they are derived from

^ He is talking about 'future' legal highs that are allowed to go on sale there.

That seems downright silly.. if he's talking about cutting the drugs so they aren't potent, people would just take more or do an acetone wash and be left with pure product. If he's saying they'd only allow drugs that were "weak" even at full doses, it wouldn't stop anyone from trying the stronger ones.

Pretty redikaluz either way - how can you determine a drug is safe without clinical trials, and how can you have clinical trials without test subjects?

What a piece of shit. First they bait the public to get their hopes up then rape and sabotage any effort towards progress. Meanwhile, the flow of research chemicals continues unabated.