• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

N-acetylcysteine and Mercury

They sell it here in doses of 600mg to take once daily. So well I thought considering these studies using much higher dosages and that it's apparently pretty safe to take more, why not? As I've said it's a pretty subjective thing but I'd say you'll feel the effects of 2.4g / 3.6g taken over the course of a trip (before, during / after), maybe when you're into meditating or whatever you might not need a parallel drug to notice changes..

Hmm... I've had taken NAC like 600mg x4 a day before for moderately severe phlegm in the throat, without noticeable change in perception.

I read sekio's reply and immediately felt better, so the mercury scare might have affected me. I was reading mostly on hollistic websites, and sometimes I get too obsessive, and read more shit on hollistic websites, to scare myself even more. I think this was just placebo, but it was due to anxiety, because NAC Increased it (atleast that's how I felt), it also dehydrated my lungs so much that I stopped taking it. I think nicotine interacted with it, and increased anxiety but I'm not sure.

I'm now back on wellbutrin, and feel like I'm going to quit the habit of smoking for good, it helps in that department. I have not tried NAC yet, might try it soon and see what happens. I do not know much about glutamate, and how each one of them affect it.

How I even got to NAC, was in my search to lower liver enzymes which bupropion increased for me, so I stop taking it and ordered milk thistle and NAC.

NAC made me feel more present and awake. Dopa, you describe very interesting things, to some I can relate, english is not my native language, I wish I could explain myself better like you do.

curiouso, would you mind to list the supplements / substances you're actually using and/or have been using the past, um, 3 months or so?
You write you got a libido surge off certain NAC product which subsided in relatively short time. And that you took bupropion before, but not along the NAC -- sounds like discontinuation / interaction symptoms, maybe?

so, NAC interacted with the discontinuation symptoms of bupropion? I remember during that time, I was thinking to myself that bupropion damaged the liver and now NAC is replenishing whatever the medication left there. I do not really know what happened though.
no other supplements than magnesium glycinate and zinc\copper. I believe zinc\copper attributed to libido. because I took 45\3.
as for substances, tobacco and strong cannabis sativa.

Gave it some attempts, in the usual dose (600mg/d) and in some higher ones as mentioned in the papers, I personally got the impression of not liking it, of having a tendence of worsening some things but yeah, it's not objective.

600mg was probably tough. I have since tried taking NAC at lower dose, I open the capsule and take only half, the effect was much lighter. I was looking online and people said that aswell, someone recommended sticking to 200mg and it made sense to me. I do not know if the effect is lighter due to dose, or oxidation of the NAC, I read it oxidises quickly after opening. and it stank since day one so... if you know whether its true or not i'd love to know.

Sorry, never mind.. it sounded to me like you might have been trialing a bigger number of supps. :)

no problem, I might try NAC today and see what happens

I have 2 large boxes with supplements, but i dont take them all religiously
Since summer passed, I felt more and more depressed and I was taking 20kIU of vitD3 and 200mcg of K2 every day for 2 weeks. It seemed to help.
selenium 100-200mcg and vit E at 100IU once every few days
curcumin 95 from jarrow is something I added not so long ago, 500mg with meals
1200-2400mg of sunflower lechithin, for choline and inositol, also with meals
creatine monohydrate - 5g once every few days with water
B12 and folate sometimes

-

I took 600mg this morning, after quite some time. on an empty stomach.
I have sensations that I recognize.
first off, NAC somehow effects my brain.
on a daily basis, I have this strain... behind my eyes, like something is swollen back there. this attributes alot to my 'brain-fog'.
This completely goes away with NAC, my eyes are wide open soon after consuming. and my brain feels... awake?
usually I get tired when sun goes down, that did not happen today. I actually had a pretty productive day, and even exercised, as I felt a burst of energy after noon.
not sure why but I also felt a little bit aggressive, and I was not avoiding loud noises like I used to (like slamming the door, instead of doing my absolute best to not make any noise, I blame OCD with this example)

I also pee alot, even though I did not drink so much. This happened also on my previous experiences with NAC.

Last edited:
If you see 'holistic' on a website, it's often as not, in this day and age, best translated as 'bollocks-merchant and shitspeaker, RUN LIKE HELL!!!'

Call me a cynic, but you've more chance of finding shite than sugar on any of them. Some are worse than others, but its crap like this about Hg, that resulted in tons of kids not being vaccinated, more dying of disease than ever would have been harmed due to traces of Hg, even in the form of EtHg (although noxious certainly, apparently the metabolism of ethylmercury is not the same as that of dimethylmercury/methylmercury, and it is excreted from the brain far more rapidly than in the case of the C1 congeners)

To say nothing about the likes of autism speaks, and that fucking whoreborn dog-fellating gutterfuck 'doctor' andrew wankfiend...ahem...Wakefield; and his unforgivable mistreatment of the young brethren and sistren of my kind.

Guys you're right, and I've probably wrote bullshit.. you don't feel NAC directly - its bioavailability is very low (yeah, know that but thought again) and have done now 2x 1.2g yesterday w/o any noticeable effects. Maybe I'll try higher doses for sake of curiosity soon and report..

If you see 'holistic' on a website (...) RUN LIKE HELL!!!'
Yep. I'm very probably autistic and if I'd say now it's mediated by NMDA receptors cause dissos temporarily cure me, so feed your children with 'holy' ketamine and do meditate every day if you're afraid of autism, would you believe me? :\ 8) =D

Last edited:
As I am digging into it the Camelia Sinensis Yellow tea the lesser I seem to know about it. I do know my symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts tasted superb with the Yellow one. But adding 1/2 Oolong to the Yellow tea was where it's at. That really made my Yellyfish resembling hobby blob happy. The extra nitrogen available in the Palm sugar had allready resulted in explosive growth. But taste wise this blew my records.

Offcourse to produce a good Kombucha more is required. But Oolong [partly oxidised in contrast to Black variety's] with Yellow and/ or White mixtures were my preference.