• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Mysterious meth "afterglow"

richardj

Bluelighter
I've taken meth orally and intranasally six times now, about once every 3 weeks.

The first time I had somebody letting me try theirs, eyeballing doses into a straw for me, so I don't actually know how much I took. Based on my subsequent experience, I would guess it was around 30-40mg over the course of a few hours.

Although I experienced something akin to a mild "hallucination" (I thought plastic rustling against a box was some creepy bug or rat inside the box and spent a long time working up the nerve to upturn it) and about 10 minutes of dysphoria (when I checked my heart rate and freaked out), I never really had a comedown like I've heard about.

On the contrary, for about 3 days after, I felt better than I have in my entire life. I'm clinically depressed, cripplingly anxious and all that stuff, but for these 3 days I felt like what I imagine most healthy people feel like, if not better. Like 48 hours after dosing I was happily and energetically clearing out boxes and cans than have cluttered my house for years. This "afterglow" which had such a positive impact on my life was what convinced me to get my own supply.

I waited a month and then the second time I did 20mg--15 orally and then the rest as bumps a few hours later. I was happy and productive during the high, but there was no "afterglow" like before, although no real comedown to speak of either.

The third and subsequent times I've taken similar doses, if anything going smaller each time, but the comedowns have gotten progressively worse. Like I'm unable to do anything but sleep and frown for days--the polar opposite of the first time.

So I'm curious as to whether this experience is normal, and if it's possible to attain the afterglow again either by dosing higher or abstaining for a long time (the longest I've gone so far is a month between). Or whether it's a "losing the magic" kinda thing.

It's quite normal for your first experience to seem 'unique'. However feeling great for 3 days after is certainly not a normal side-effect of meth use, and if it happened the first time, good for you. But don't expect that to ever happen again as it's not in any way a common occurrence. And don't keep taking it on a quest to relive that experience mate - you'll find yourself addicted in no time :(

Also, how certain are you that you had meth on that occasion or the others? It could also have been adulterated with something even if you're sure it was meth. Not knowing exactly how much you're taking is also problematic - best buy some milligram scales if you're going to persist in using meth recreationally so you can truly gague the amount you're taking and attempt to keep it under some control.

FWIW I don't really get 'comedowns'. However my reaction to stimulants is fairly atypical as I don't experience a rush or euphoria either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but of course I have a really good milligram scale--I'm a total harm reduction dork like that.

It's just that first time... I had always refused amphs before but I was starting to break down and consider it since I haven't had anything but psychs in so long and this meth/speed is the ONLY thing I've ever been offered (I live in a backwards non-Western country where darknet is not a safe option and the whole country is one big creepy DARE program), and I was drunk and I trusted the guy (he's a PhD and has lots of experience with stims) to eyeball it for me, which is why that one time is the only time I didn't know my dosage.

I'm pretty sure it was the same stuff. Same source, similar high, chewed my face and mouth up in exactly the same way.

I don't think I have it in me to become an addict though. If anything I've been lowering my doses each time. I've never felt the "rush" either, but it's just so useful to be able to go out and talk to people like a normal person instead of clamming up in the corner like a weirdo, so I couldn't resist getting a stash for special occasions. I can pop 10mg (after an antacid preload) and be set for a whole day. And I wouldn't smoke it if somebody paid me to (it's way too expensive to smoke here anyway--like <over ten times the per-gram price in the US>).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wierd thing, I also don't get the "euphoric rush" people talk about, even tho my prefer and only ROA is vaporized. I weirdly get relax, calm, decreases in libido and hungry sometimes.

richardj I also live in an kinda none western country in the Caribbean, we are a colony of some "important" imperialist nation. Meth here cost very high, so is like a luxury drug here.

Did you eat during the run that gave you an afterglow ? If not that afterglow could be from your body getting into ketosis which is usually a pretty euphoric and clearheaded state.

I thought I had a meth afterglow once or twice - buy it was just wishful thinking and the reality was that I was still high...less so obviously as had slept (induced)

Wouldn't bet against same scenario for you and it's not uncommon

edit - just as an afterthought...I only had meth on a small number of occasions but I am still truly thankful to have avoided its grim clutches...insidious, superpowerful, neural pathway creating clutches eww

Last edited:
First 6 months I used I thought meth had fuck all after effects, I never had the comedown aside from the extra insomnia either

It’s a lying little shit of a drug like that, and what will lead you to think you can control it.

Don’t you worry, the crash is coming. And it will be hard.
I thought I had anxiety before meth, lol I barely had a clue.