• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television My Strange Addiction & various other "reality shows"

coelophysis

Bluelight Crew
I did a search and couldn't find anything. And I'm surprised no one has made a thread about it yet. But I only did the search in F&T, so forgive me if I'm out of line here..

I believe they broadcast it on TLC. And the show is based around people & their addictions. This is not like Intervention though, as the emphasis here on addictions has to do with the bizarre materials people find themselves trapped into using.

I've only caught two episodes in my time and some of the stories were very strange, including a lady who is addicted to huffing moth balls because they remind her of her grandmother. So she fills her car with them, she fills her pockets with them, she fills her pillow case with them. She even crushes a bunch of them up inside of a sock and carries the sock around all day so that she can take it out and huff on it.
Other stories included a woman addicted to eating cat food. Another was addicted to the smell of Pine Sol. Another woman was addicted to representing & living the lifestyle of a woman from the 50's. This included her wardrobe, car, music listenings..All these were strictly things from the 50's.
I believe I recall another segment had a woman addicted to breast implants and another person was addicted to eating rocks. She would literally go out in the morning and find all the rocks that she loved, and then she would munch them down, nibble by nibble all throughout the day.

Has anyone else caught this show? Is this for real? Or is this another one of those bullshit Television shows like the Pawn Stars, Swamp People, Orange County Choppers, and all the various "____ Wars," or "_______ Stars" programs that are all make believe, but take on the guise of "reality television," so to fool the viewer into believing these are real genuine people and this is a day in their life as a _______ worker?

Television is a head fuck, and I fall for a very limited amount of the stuff they spew out on to it when I am in the position of the "viewer." Seriously, what has happened to channels like "History Channel?" Has it always been this fake and full of shit or is this something new, that I've only just now noticed?
What's with the sudden increase in these faux reality shows? Are people really falling for them? Do people just accept them for what they are and use them as a way to kill time?

I'm not trying to say that I'm positive "My Strange Addiction" is one of these fake shows, like "Pit Boss." But how are there that many people out there with these strange habits? How are there enough of them to make a steady show like this? How come I have never run into anyone with any kind of moth ball problem? Is this because I'm on Bluelight where people have drug addictions, and I'm just not aware of the epidemic or the craze that's being discussed on MothBall.ru?

IDK the Pawn Stars guy seems like a genuine scumbag, and I expect he's not very different from most pawn shop owners.

Yeah I saw a woman who was addicted to huffing white-out, and another who ate paint chips, and another who ate nail-polish. This is some fucked up shit, but all those contain volatile chemicals so it at least kinda makes sense. The mothballs thing is really weird. Who wants to be reminded of their grandmother like that?

I think at least the majority of them are real. There was this one woman who claimed to be addicted to puppets who turned out to be an actress, and she had gone around going on talk shows and the like by pretending to have this weird obsession. Granted, it's a terrible misuse of the word "addiction" - most of the people on that show don't have a true addiction. But these obsessive compulsions generally seem to come from things like OCD, psychosis, pica (craving and eating things that aren't food), or some other huge psychological issues. I think the saddest one I've ever seen was a widow who had been eating her husband's ashes. At the end they had to put her in an inpatient treatment program on 24 hour supervision because she said that if she was separated from the urn, she would likely kill herself.

IDK the Pawn Stars guy seems like a genuine scumbag, and I expect he's not very different from most pawn shop owners.

Do you really honestly believe this? I'm sure his role as a character is to portray your typical scumbag pawnshop owner, but REALLY?
This guy is one vagina hair away from being a full fledged historian, and has a friend, who is an expert, in simply anything and everything. And these experts usually are rocking goofy hats and are able to be over to his shop on the drop of a dime. Is that what these "experts" live for? They just sit around collecting knowledge so that when some used junk comes into their buddies pawn shop they can fill him in on what it's all about?
It's for the birds...
All this knowledge, ability to network with people and all he's done with his life is open up a pawn shop? The producers want us to believe that a mundane job like that can actually be interesting. When in reality the declaration of independence is never going to roll through the door of your local Value Pawn. They also throw in the curve ball of the family aspect. Assisting viewers into feeling like it's something genuine and inspiring because it mocks real life (almost) so well.

I know the internet can be just as sketchy of a place to trust your information from as Television is. But I have read on the internet that the Pawn Stars charade is that they pick people up off the streets of Vegas (tourists most likely) and ask if they'd like to be part of a television show. Then they give them an object (normally a borderline artifact) and feed them lines to give to the Pawn shop employees in front of the camera.

There is nothing genuine about Pawn Stars, aside from the fact that it is genuine reality TV garbage.

I think at least the majority of them are real. There was this one woman who claimed to be addicted to puppets who turned out to be an actress, and she had gone around going on talk shows and the like by pretending to have this weird obsession. Granted, it's a terrible misuse of the word "addiction" - most of the people on that show don't have a true addiction. But these obsessive compulsions generally seem to come from things like OCD, psychosis, pica (craving and eating things that aren't food), or some other huge psychological issues. I think the saddest one I've ever seen was a widow who had been eating her husband's ashes. At the end they had to put her in an inpatient treatment program on 24 hour supervision because she said that if she was separated from the urn, she would likely kill herself.

I've also said that when discussing the show with friends. That this is more of a compulsion than an addiction really. The ashes one is sick, but now I'm dying to see it, lol.
Thanks for your input! And I agree with you, I tend to lean towards this strange addiction show as something genuine. Though, like I've said, I have only caught segments of 2 episodes. And it took me more than 2 episodes of Pawn Stars before I caught on to it being a crock of shit.

Last edited:
Seems like you've done research and some serious thinking on Pawn Stars. God damn...

Lol, yeah, I guess you could say that. Sorry if I came off as rude to you.
But these shows really really bother me.

Yeah, saw this bitch on there ate couch cushions yo. Shit was whack.

Oh and there was this other bitch would go tanning for 14 hours a day. I don't think she understood the concept of melanoma.

My niece is the star of The Little Couple , the 37 inch tall neonatologist ( licensed physician who treats premature and illness-prone newborns ) is just the way she is in real life .Very down to earth and has a great sense of humour . The shows on TLC and is now in season 5
. http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/little-couple

Lol, yeah, I guess you could say that. Sorry if I came off as rude to you.
But these shows really really bother me.
Your thinking so hard i'm going to have to move away as to not get pieces of brain matter on me when your head explodes. ;) Everything you've said about Pawn Stars is pretty easily explainable, even though I agree with you, that is one of those "gussied up reality shows"(which is what they are and why your thinking to hard IMO, their just prettied up to get more viewers, their probably not even outright fake, they do most likely own a pawn store somewhere, they just don't know 99 experts in 1,000 fields nor do they get 1 million dollars of merchandise each episode, but think about, would you want to watch a slow paced show where they get some guys dead grandpa's hat or a barrage of items like a sword that killed 666 nazi soldiers?). First things first, you seem to think each episode is just one day, its probably like fifty different days and fifty different clips from mixtures of those days mangled together(though it does usually look like a day because they do the "get an item at the beginning, find out what its worth at the end, and play with it" sort of shit which makes it seem that way IMO), so your over thinking the "How in the fuck do the experts get there so quick?" thing and the experts are also usually curators or something to that effect of museums which it usually says(that or they own a specialty shop of some sort). Also in my mind your definitely over thinking the "if hes so talented why does he own one shop". He owns one shop because everyone starts somewhere and he wasn't plopped out of his mammy's vajay one vagina hair short of a historian, at least I would think so. As for My Strange Addiction, your totally over thinking it, I can't answer the questions how are there so many or how are their enough for a steady show but(I could guess though because I mean if you think about it, its not like theres institutions full of people with mental disablitlies or anything like that......), but the last question is so obvious, you must be over thinking because how would you run into these people? Do they scream out of their windows that they smash moth balls in a sock to get the smell? No they hide, and in each episode they actually have "revelations" where they reveal their addictions to sometimes even their family members who didn't know for years. Its so easy to hide weird things you do, that you probably didn't even think about that.

All in all quit over thinking and sorry if this comes off as dickish, I just like writing in a similar style to the OP so........

Help :) I've always loved you. Thank you for playing along.

Help?!?! said:
Everything you've said about Pawn Stars is pretty easily explainable,

Surely it's easily explainable, but is it easily definable?

Help?!?! said:
even though I agree with you, that is one of those "gussied up reality shows"(which is what they are and why your thinking to hard IMO, their just prettied up to get more viewers,

Why do they fall under the guise of "reality" television then? When it's very far from reality. When the producers slap a label like "reality" onto their newest program, it, to me, implies a certain level of manipulation and trickery towards the mass amount of viewers. Shows like these are heavily planned out. And I understand their attempt to "spice" it up a little bit, by incorporating artifacts and historical pieces. They broadcast it on History channel, as a means to project historical information to the viewer, but the show takes 30 minutes to give you 3 random little tidbits of knowledge. I see how it can be both fun & educational. But I also see it as extremely manipulative. They stretch it out & fill it with commercials, and in the long run, all you've done was watch one single 30 minute long commercial for various products, with a false sense of education thrown in there. Much like the random facts found underneath a Snapple lid. Why do they insist on presenting it to people as "reality?" There is absolutely nothing to gain from shows like this. And this is what the history channel has reduced to.

Help?!?! said:
First things first, you seem to think each episode is just one day, its probably like fifty different days and fifty different clips from mixtures of those days mangled together(though it does usually look like a day because they do the "get an item at the beginning, find out what its worth at the end, and play with it" sort of shit which makes it seem that way IMO)

And I agree with you and am totally aware that- much like any film production, it is not done in the matter of hours. And that the time it takes to throw an episode together could take many days, even weeks, to get all the people together to film, act out the scene, and then bring it to the editing room for polishing. That's why shows like these come in seasons.

Help?!?! said:
Also in my mind your definitely over thinking the "if hes so talented why does he own one shop". He owns one shop because everyone starts somewhere and he wasn't plopped out of his mammy's vajay one vagina hair short of a historian, at least I would think so.

I believe that he is most definitely an actor. He had his foot in the door and/or knew the right people, who asked him to be part of this. Surely maybe he owns the pawn shop also, but for the most part, it is used as a set. What made him more special than any other random pawn shop owner then if that's what the production company was aiming for? He's an actor, representing a man living the basic american dream. For all I know, ultimately, Las Vegas may be a huge sponsor and they helped produce the show to attract feeble minds to swarm towards to bright neon lights. Much like a fly. "Oh what an interesting place that Las Vegas is, I done seen it on the telly vision, we ought to go there on our next vacation."

All I'm trying to say is shows like these STINK & SCREAM of ulterior motives. And you're stating that I'm "simply" thinking too deep into it. But this thought arises from awareness and a sense of frustration towards the fact that people can go along with shows like these and watch them, and believe them, without ever thinking TWICE about it.(let alone thinking deeply about it)
If he were a real true Pawn Shop owner, at this point, with the money he's made through his show, he should be able to have a chain of pawn shops sprawled throughout the country.
But that's not who he is.

Help?!?! said:
I can't answer the questions how are there so many or how are their enough for a steady show but(I could guess though because I mean if you think about it, its not like theres institutions full of people with mental disablitlies or anything like that......),

I unfortunately didn't understand this part of your statement. And please forgive me for making a thread that basically consists of two separate topics here. I just wanted to tie it into the idea that we really shouldn't be watching television for the most part, at least not broadcasted stuff, aside from weather & 9/11 terrorist attack updates.. And I cannot discredit some of the more informative network's specials that have little documentaries on animals, sciences, cultures and things of that nature.. There is plenty of informative stuff if you put on the right channel. Of course the downside is the commercials, but ay, that's what DVD's and BluRays are for right? A majority of televised things seem to be full of lies and manipulations to keep people entranced and still until they see the right commercial that inspires them to go out and buy a case of Dr. Pepper.

Help?!?! said:
but the last question is so obvious, you must be over thinking because how would you run into these people? Do they scream out of their windows that they smash moth balls in a sock to get the smell? No they hide, and in each episode they actually have "revelations" where they reveal their addictions to sometimes even their family members who didn't know for years. Its so easy to hide weird things you do, that you probably didn't even think about that.

I must stand corrected here. You certainly are correct. It's never something I've set out into society to track down. And on the flip side, the people with the strange addictions aren't necessarily walking the streets with picket signs that detail their strange compulsions. And I mean, ultimately, I guess I've met plenty of people with odd tendencies, just some out there must be more peculiar than others.

And you didn't come off as dickish, I appreciate your attempt at stimulating thoughts.

Basically what my frustration can be reduced down to is the fact that people can fall for Television. It's a form of hypnosis in my eyes, it keeps people half asleep, while filling their heads with false truths because producers of television programs polish them to seem believable.
I see Television as a nice big & bright billboard that you've allowed into your home. The sad part being that, as far as cable television customers are concerned is they pay a monthly rate to keep their box connected to a never ending stream of advertisements. So you pay a flat monthly total to keep your television going so it can spew out and feed you things into your eyes that you want to buy next.

This does not apply to every single show on television. There certainly are people who seem to be almost trolls of the industry, and can manage to break out into the business, just to make fun of what it has become a part of. Many shows have done this, some cartoons, Penn & Teller, Sacha Baron Cohen, Bob Odenkirk & David Cross, Monty Python cast, Ren & Stimpy. They've all spoofed and gagged off of things that have been projected on television.

A lot of movies fall under the casted spell of mental manipulation too, but not all of them of course. You need to sort through it all I suppose.
But when I see these bunk reality shows, I just cannot believe there are people out there feeding into this and helping it continue to broadcast, because they want more and more of it. "Reality Stars" are the new "Actors."
It's a lazy attempt and I'm surprised it works, but I guess that's the world we live in.
I believe the invention of the television surely could have been used for far more meaningful and important things, but it got cluttered & filled with the equivalent of pop up ads and spam, much like your yahoo email account from 10 years ago. It's really just not worth using anymore..

If some people didn't attempt to over think, then no one would, and then what would happen? (And by stating that, I'm not trying to portray myself as high atop a throne, peering down and judging with my super level of intellect. I just appreciate a good old fashioned questioning session. I guess I'm that kid that just never stopped asking "why though?" after every answer was given to me) Surely the people behind the production of Pawn Stars & such got these bright ideas from over thinking.

The thing is, I totally agree with everything your laying down(its actually funny because I myself am a classic overthinker, but only in certain terms, in others I was graced with the gift to actually see that other people are over thinking and I also am that annoying child who never ceased to ask why even when a perfect explanation was given, I just understood at a young age that there is always more that we cannot see, and about the over thinking, totally agree its just when you over think,you miss the truth sitting right before your eyes because your squinting so hard you can't make it out!<3), its just your thinking to hard about it in my mind. All the shows aren't technically "fake" because for example they show what happens at a pawn store day to day, but they also make it super unrealistic with all the nazi death swords and shit. Its exactly like I stated though, would you rather tune into a show about a nazi death sword going through sales or some guys deceased grandfathers hat and also I forgot to state that its 2012, Lak! That means we've had decades and decades of TV at this point. Were running out of material, especially the "real" material. People have already watched the real shows where they stick cameras in the corner ceiling of some business and just film, now they need the show where a guy pulls a katana on a repo man for taking his '92 Civic. You know, when I think of it, I might even agree that Pawn Stars is fake(with the exception of Chum Lee, if he turned out to be fake...my world may collapse)but its just like I was saying, over thinking it, your letting Pawn Stars and the possibility of its reality seep into your mind and its beginning to affect other things. ;) Oh and the institution thing was just to point out the fact that their are entire buildings filled with people who's OCD/etc is to terrible to be out in the real world, so I was a bit confused as to how you would think it would be hard to find weird people who do weird things, especially excessively.

So all in all, reality TV isn't really reality TV. Its fabricated reality TV for 99% of the time in this age it seems. We just need some sort of TV group who enforces measures like "If your show is XXXX amount outlandish it must have a disclaimer at the bottom of the show so people won't become confused and confuse this with reality." Oh and even though its off topic I felt like replying to the "We shouldn't watch TV" thing. I get it, TV is dumb as shit, but in my mind, no matter what you watch, it is up to you to absorb and properly use what you've learned, similar to books, just more difficult as books can usually climb deeper into emotional recess's and character's minds IMO. So even if your sitting there watching some nature show, you might not be learning shit because your mind could care less about nature, however you watch a drama show and your mind absorbs from the characters emotions/reactions/etc. Books also force more thought about literally everything in general but TV can do the same if its gripping enough. To me its just all about how you think about it, if you think someone is just mindlessly watching TV than of course its bad(I don't understand this though, when I watch TV I try to understand the characters emotions and see how they relate to me/their philosophies/etc. etc even if its just a child's comedy)but if you think the person is watching and actually thinking about whats happening on screen then....

<3 you as well, its why I choose to play the game in the first place!

Wow.

When I opened this thread, I was not expecting such a discussion to be taking place! Interesting stuff! :D