• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My Rules for controlled Heroin Use

captainsparrow

Greenlighter
For years I have been dabbling in opioids, starting with pain pills, then switching to Heroin, since it is so much cheaper. I have not been a steady user, as I have never really had withdraw. But I'm just not ready to kick the drug entirely yet, I feel like I can use this drug the help motivate me in the mornings, and be functional with it to work. So I figured I need to try and follow rules for using the drug, so I can help avoid becoming a full on addict. My rules are:

1. Don't use more than 3 days in a row, to avoid a physical dependence.
2. No using after 2 PM, or 8 hours before bed.
3. Try and only does in the morning.

I figure when ever I do dope after 5 PM, I'm really just being a junkie, and just wanna feel good, and that is not necessary. I need to only use it when it will motivate me to get work done.
The trend is to start loosing your self control, and once you start saying "fuck it, I'm gonna break those rules", its hard to keep trying to exercise self control. But I now view my self control as a muscle, that I need to keep exercising. And If I cave on my self control once, I will still try and exercise my control in the future.

I know I'm playing with fire, But I just can't get this drug off my mind, And I feel like I can use this drug more controlled than some of my friends who have Od'ed multiple times. I think the structure of these rules can help give you an edge.

Good luck, man. Many have failed doing what you tried but I'm sure there have to be some heroin users who manage to adhere to self imposed rules.

Good luck indeed - you're a stronger man than I ...

The three day rule worked for me for a couple of years as all my friends fell into full blown addicts between the ages of 16 - 19 ....

The problem IMO with the rules is that there is no room for error and once you've done the fourth day which becomes the fifth you wake up in withdrawal and once that happens the game is up ...

That said - I hope this approach continues to work for you but believe me when I say you do not want a habit - I've been clean for varying periods since the age of 20 including 9 years but the last four have been on / off / on / off to the detriment of my health, finances, employment, and essentially freedom.

Heroin will take it all if you let it - time and time again, too.

Good luck.

Do you think any of us where set out to become heroin addicts? Or do you think almost every single one thought they were the exception to the rule? Keep going down this road and lets see how long you're the one driving. You're making a very big mistake. Unfortunately, people just don't get it until they experience it. Not a place you want to be. Drink a redbull instead.

@ captainsparrow: I understand what your current logic is.

@ readytoroam: great example

@ My3sons: I agree with you in the big picture of things.

you say you've never been through withdrawals before? if so, four days of straight use wouldn't make you addicted ime it took me a full two weeks using everyday to catch my first rattle. i stick to the 3 day rule myself but that's only because of kindling (i've been addicted and got clean multiple times)

still, that's a hell of a regime man, as someone who is chipping on and off themselves there's no way i could stick to the 5pm rule, i need my h to sleep!
be wary though, you're still dabbling with poison.

I always get back into opioids by only using on the weekends meaning friday night and saturday. Then a few months go by and I get sick on sunday so I take a liittle to get well. Then the following weekend this pattern continues and next thing I know I'm sick on monday so I take a little monday to "get through work". This pattern continues until I am trapped into a daily pattern...every god damn time. Right now I'm only using fri and sat and it has lasted for a few months but every sunday I get really close to giving in. Not saying it can't be done but I'm saying it can't be done for any signifigant length of time for most people.

yeah not gunna happen buddy. Not to be pessimistic, its just not really even a possibility. Good luck....

Only way I've ever full avoided having to deal with acute withdrawal was by taking four consecutive days off each week. But eventually there was still a kick, and it was an incredibly difficult pattern to maintain.

I always found maintenance use of opioids to be most effective to get what I wanted out of them (mostly help with anxiety and mood). Or course there will be withdrawal from that, but frankly managing withdrawal with the right meds was still easier than the constant ups and downs of only using just once or twice a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the same way as the OP in the very beginning. Started with Vicodin ES occasionally for cramps. Then i took them more and more to get through long days at work on my feet. I had more energy and my body didn't ache nearly as much. When my tolerance started to build, I switched to oxycontin. That lead to oxymorphone, which teventually ended up leading to heroin. It's a slippery slope...

Fast forward to the present... I just kicked a very expensive habit that cost me my job and thousands of dollars and caused me to move back home at 34 years old. You might think it's worth the risk or you'll be different but... unless you have superhuman will power, eventually addiction will swallow you whole. I never had a problem with any other substance except opiates. But omg, do I love them.

I always get back into opioids by only using on the weekends meaning friday night and saturday. Then a few months go by and I get sick on sunday so I take a liittle to get well. Then the following weekend this pattern continues and next thing I know I'm sick on monday so I take a little monday to "get through work". This pattern continues until I am trapped into a daily pattern...every god damn time. Right now I'm only using fri and sat and it has lasted for a few months but every sunday I get really close to giving in. Not saying it can't be done but I'm saying it can't be done for any signifigant length of time for most people.
This is spot the fuck on. Yep it just starts with so many days on/off and turns into everyday for me as well. OP keep us posted and let us know in 6 months/ 1year how you're doing sticking to your plan. Best of luck

^ Indeed.

Only way I've ever full avoided having to deal with acute withdrawal was by taking four consecutive days off each week. But eventually there was still a kick, and it was an incredibly difficult pattern to maintain.

I agree.
I have tried to do the same, every here and then I'd come up with a theory I that could control my habits, and that would always appear flawless but eventually when I'd get sick I would try to compensate it and would go even deeper in my addiction.

As Jerry Garcia was quoted (paraphrasing) Cocaine and Heroin are dead end drugs. The habit is light weight to start, but ends badly.

As Jerry Garcia was quoted (paraphrasing) Cocaine and Heroin are dead end drugs. The habit is light weight to start, but ends badly.

my heroin use was manageable until i started using crack alongside it, then it all spiraled out of control.
its not a high, its negative escapism

....said every person who ever relapsed

lol you are playing with fire and even though I don't know you, I BEG you to stop now. While you still can. Before you're at rock bottom with a trail of heroin induced destruction behind you and you stumble across this post and it is the lasy proverbial straw that pushes your depressed, hopeless, suicidal ghost of a person, over the edge. Mark my words, it will happen. Maybe not this week or even a year from now but I don't know a single person who can control their opiate use, ESP H, indefinitely. I don't think its humanly possible.

Yeah, this is my 4th straight day using. I'm already breaking my rules. But fuck it. I will enjoy the dope I have left, then maybe go to rehab or get on suboxone. I'm just not done with the stuff yet.

Yeah, this is my 4th straight day using. I'm already breaking my rules. But fuck it. I will enjoy the dope I have left, then maybe go to rehab or get on suboxone. I'm just not done with the stuff yet.

that's unfortunate mate, but considering some opiate maintenance might not be the the worst idea. hopefully you won't need ti for psychical wd's, just mental cravings.
happens to all of us ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

You're contradicting yourself there. I agree you don't sound ready to quit, so rehab would likely to be pointless, and if you're still really wanting to get high and not ready to put effort in, suboxone really won't help much either. You'll just get stuck in a cycle of waiting for enough bupe to get out of your system to get high, then waiting for enough heroin to leave you so you don't get precipitated WD from the bupe. You can't have your cake and eat it

I couldn't follow "rules" just with pills. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to follow rules on heroin. I would say nigh on impossible. I thank the heavens I never switched to H and found out. Good luck dude.