• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

my opinion on benzodiazepines and barbiturates

Quit using big words! This is a drug board dammit!

Ah, so since we're on a drug forum everybody has either got to be stupid or pretend to be stupid.

And I'll quit using "big" words whenever you quit being a carping, grumbling gadfly about my use of big words.

But to recapitulate:

If you haven't taken a barbiturate, STFU and GTFO; your opinions are inconsiderable and don't belong in a discussion about barbiturates.

But to recapitulate:

If you haven't taken a barbiturate, STFU and GTFO; your opinions are inconsiderable and don't belong in a discussion about barbiturates.

I was totally unaware that if you didn't have direct experience with something you couldn't possible know anything about it, no matter how much you read about the topic from people who do have direct experience with it.

So actually, by that token, since you DO have direct experience with barbiturates but I don't, I actually can't take your opinion as having any validity because it would have no value for me.

Sorry about that lol.

Last edited:
Ah, so since we're on a drug forum everybody has either got to be stupid or pretend to be stupid.

And I'll quit using "big" words whenever you quit being a carping, grumbling gadfly about my use of big words.

Sorry my sarcasm was above your head. Zing. How's the view from up there?

I was totally unaware that if you didn't have direct experience with something you couldn't possible know anything about it, no matter how much you read about the topic from people who do have direct experience with it.

Knowledge can be attained through indirect experience. However, the value of knowledge without experience is less than the value of knowledge with experience.

If one is more au fait and expert in something and are also vastly more experienced in it than someone else, I think it would be common sense to defer to the former and ignore the totally inexperienced latter.

Surely you must agree, is it not so that the opinions of those more experienced and more knowledgeable take precedence over those of the inexperienced and less knowledgeable?

So actually, by that token, since you DO have direct experience with barbiturates but I don't, I actually can't take your opinion as having any validity.

This is entirely nonsensical drivel. It defies the rules of logical discourse more profoundly than anything I've ever heard a human with the temerity to articulate.

Sorry about that lol.

Sorry? You should be deeply ashamed and earnestly contrite for having educed such appallingly unsound illogical ordure as quoted above.

Sorry my sarcasm was above your head. Zing.

Well, that explains why I couldn't catch it: you casted the sarcasm to high for me to reach. Just kidding. Im fact, the sarcasm was simply too poorly executed for it not to go unnoticed.

How's the view from up there?

Fantastic, although it does make me feel some remorse for you, for your unfortunate affliction with being a homuncular bantam too short, physically and cognitively, to see it.

Nice try. It's obvious your vocabulary exceeds your reading comprehension. Perhaps, English is not your first language?

I wansnt mocking you, you just acted arrogantly which is a turn off for me. We can still be friends. It was a simple joke. Keep acting like a dick and see how far it gets you. You use a lot of words to say nothing.

Nice try. It's obvious your vocabulary exceeds your reading comprehension. Perhaps, English is not your first language?

Vocabulary is highly correlated with reading proficiency, and reading itself is a sheer impossibility without the reader having a vocabulary.

I wansnt mocking you, you just acted arrogantly which is a turn off for me.

I don't care what turns you off or on. I'm phlegmatic, undemonstrative, digracious and gruff dissentient with a proclivity to debate and a penchant for argumentation.

We can still be friends.

I'm not here for friends and acquaintances; rather, I'm here for the sole purpose of quenching my appetite for conversation more significant than platitudes and pleasantries.

It was a simple joke.

I concede that it was simple, yes. But I hardly think it qualifies comically as a joke,; indeed the notion it is an arrant joke is more of a joke than the joke itself.

Keep acting like a dick and see how far it gets you. You use a lot of words to say nothing.

Nothing can be said, but nothing said can be nothing. Of course, one cannot say words without saying them, and to say them is to say something.

And you are still too inexperienced and unqualified to have anything authoritative or considerable to say only the topic if barbiturates.

I'm sorry I've made you feel so insecure. Your arrogance surpasses your intelligence. I'm sure you will have a rather dull retort, with words a simpleton like me has no chance of understanding, but I never had an issue with you in the first place. You are so defensive; you've attacked everyone in this thread and have undermined whatever validity your petty argument had. I don't give a fuck about the topic at hand. I've been through enough fucked up withdrawals that I am wise enough to not indulge in either at this point in time. Your experience is obviously irrelevant. You haven't given up either one long enough to know the foolishness of your actions, so your petty sedative of choice is of no consequence to me. Good luck, I have nothing else to say to you.

Knowledge can be attained through indirect experience. However, the value of knowledge without experience is less than the value of knowledge with experience.

If one is more au fait and expert in something and are also vastly more experienced in it than someone else, I think it would be common sense to defer to the former and ignore the totally inexperienced latter.

Surely you must agree, is it not so that the opinions of those more experienced and more knowledgeable take precedence over those of the inexperienced and less knowledgeable?

This is entirely nonsensical drivel. It defies the rules of logical discourse more profoundly than anything I've ever heard a human with the temerity to articulate.

Sorry? You should be deeply ashamed and earnestly contrite for having educed such appallingly unsound illogical ordure as quoted above.

You've made no sound points.

So your argument is that people without experience should defer to those with correct?

So, then why shouldn't I also defer to those WITH experience, who are in this thread and have already agreed with me, that believe that benzos are superior to barbiturates in a number of areas?

Or even MORE to the point, why shouldn't I defer to DECADES worth of research by medical doctors, psychiatrists, scientists and researchers of various kinds AND recreational users??

It's just that it's not YOUR experience I'm giving credence to is the problem.

Of course I agree that those with direct experience have more knowledge, but I just happen to be agreeing with others whose direct experience is opposite your own.

Let me ask you a question:

If someone came into this thread and said "I have no experience with barbiturates but I will defer to Nom de Plume's knowledge because he does have experience" which of the following two things would you be more likely to say:

A) "Thank you, that's what you should do/say"

OR

B) No, don't trust my knowledge, because the only way to truly know something is to experience it yourself. My knowledge is every bit as prone to error as anyone else who has had a different experience with barbiturates".

IF you answer the latter, I will give you respect for being consistent, and say nothing more.

But if you answer the former, then you are saying that a person should trust those with experience, and that I have just as much right and reason to trust others in this thread who have had the opposite experience, as well as the entire medical world that through decades of thorough research decided that barbs should fall out of fashion in general because they were more dangerous than benzos and had less therapeutic value.

You want people to trust those with experience, but not really...only you...or those who's experience with barbs has been similar to your own.

I don't actually like arguing at all...I just find it amusing in this one situation.

I probably won't keep it up much longer, because I'm more of a pacifist, and I'll give you credit for being able to string words together in an amusing fashion, but there's more to being a good writer than that.

I think you probably aren't significantly more intelligent than the people you choose to debate with, though I know you'd like to think so lol...

Last edited:
From Web Md:

• "Barbiturates were first used in medicine in the early 1900s and became popular in the 1960s and 1970s as treatment for anxiety,insomnia, or seizure disorders. They evolved into recreational drugs that some people used to reduce inhibitions, decrease anxiety, and to treat unwanted side effects of illicit drugs.
  • Barbiturate use and abuse has declined dramatically since the 1970s, mainly because a safer group of sedative-hypnotics called benzodiazepines are being prescribed. Benzodiazepine use has largely replaced barbiturates in the medical profession, with the exception of a few specific indications."

Last edited:
And from Wikipedia (if it's claimed it's not a good source see the above):

"Barbiturates have now largely been replaced by benzodiazepines in routine medical practice – for example, in the treatment of anxiety and insomnia – mainly because benzodiazepines are significantly less dangerous in overdose as there is no specific antidote for barbiturate overdose."

It is the general consensus across the internet, that benzos are safer than barbiturates and superior in this sense.

And I'm sure that that opinion was reached not only by those who used barbiturates, but also by those who prescribed them and had an even greater understanding of their uses than recreational users like the poster above.

Benzos are clearly better for functional every day treatment of anxiety, insomnia and anxiety disorders, and barbs are inferior in most others areas except PERHAPS recreationally...and that was my original argument in the first place.

LMFAO at this thread

around here the only barb still going around is phenobarbital. it was big in the 90's, everybody knows the name 'Gardenal'. you can still find it in every pharmacy, but i think it only gets prescribed for epileptic kids and dogs.

i fooled around with one bottle of syrup once, just for the sake of the experience. couldn't say much for the lower doses and how anxiolytic they were, i didn't noticed, anxiolysis is usually subtle anyway, but the last time i tried it i went balls to the wall and dosed ~200mgs... blacked out for two days. that was one weird experience that later had me going to the bus terminal negotiating for my lost backpack with a nice stash of pharmaceuticals inside. i later found that the bitch had stolen 10 morphine pills. well, that's what you get for trying to get high off that kind of stuff i guess.

BTW, unfortunately (or fortunately), it wasn't fun even when injected. but that's probably because pheno still takes 15 minutes to reach peak levels even when IVed.

i figure that other barbs are probably gonna be more recreational, but i wouldn't keep my hopes up. if it's more recreational like Xanax being more recreational than Clonazepam, it ain't really recreational in my book. most GABAergics suck - recreationally - anyway. i still keep an open mind though, i was wrong about carisoprodol!

shit, Ritalin makes you wanna talk doesn't it

To put it succinctly, efficacy is not synonymous with toxicity.

Yet barbs were ruled to be overall more toxic than benzos by whatever medical boards eventually ruled to phase them out in favor of benzos.

In general, benzos are safer according to the medical world.

Yet barbs were ruled to be overall more toxic than benzos by whatever medical boards eventually ruled to phase them out in favor of benzos.

You missed the point again. The conversation is not about the safety or toxicity of af drug, but is only concerned with how well it treats its FDA-approved, therapeutically-applicable ailments.

I'm not suggesting benzodiazepines have no therapeutic value or applicability. Of course they have a wider therapeutic window than barbiturates, and therefore have a lower potential of harming the patient.

But a safer patient is not necessarily a better treated patient.

There's an effect I like to call the "Safer Drug Treadmill". The effect is especially apparent in the medical histories of analgesics, anxiolytics, hypnotics, sedatives, and some other kinds of drugs.

The Effect describes how more effective drugs for some conditions are also the more dangerous and addictive. For example, compare how insouciant cocaine and heroin were used in days bygone; how ubiquitously barbiturates were prescribed, and so forth.

Then, as with how many potentially recreational drugs regularly are, scientists work diligently to find a less dangerous alternative. The alternative invariably turns out to be considered just as bad or addictive as the drug it substitutes, and is therefore substituted with another substitute, ad infinitum.

Just in the past few decades, we've gone from alcohols (2m2b, ethanol) and volatile gases, to barbiturates, to carisprodol, to glutethimide, to methaqualone, to GHB, to strong benzodiazepines (flunitrazepam, triazolam, nitrazepam etc.), to weak benzodiazepines (lorazepam, estazolam, chlordiazepoxide), to z-drugs and nonbenzodiazepines. And now the discussion has shifted: nonbenodiazepines are now the pernicious enemy of society and a plight to pharmaceutics.

Is Advil of a greater therapeutic value than diluadid because the former is less harmful than the latter? When you break your femur, which is most important: how much of the pain pill relative to its ED50 you can take without dying, or how much analgesia the drug provides regardless of its potential to harm the patient?

Therapeutic window is an important variable, don'tgget me wrong. But therapeutic window only describes the dosage range (in, say, mg) within which a individual can safely administer the drug without resulting in OD. It has all but absolutely nothing to do with how effectivethe ccompound is at alleviating probably treating its indicated conditions.

What is the difficulty with comprehending this uncomplicated and facile ddistinction?

That doesn't matter a fuck, damnit. Prove to us why, what, and how safety has to do with efficacy.

Water is safer than heroin—it doesn't mean water is a better pain reliever.

That doesn't matter a fuck, damnit. Prove to us why, what, and how safety has to do with efficacy.

Water is safer than heroin—it doesn't mean water is a better pain reliever.

Ok, you made some very good points in the post before this, and I'm not really interested in continuing this discussion any further but I'll answer anyway.

I never said benzos were NECESSARILY more effective, so we are probably arguing over nothing.

What I personally said was that they were better therapeutically because they were safer and YOU said that barbiturates were superior in every way for the most part.

But the thing is, also...when treating "pain" whether it's emotional or physical both toxicity and ability to use the drug in your day to day life without causing too many problems ARE part of the issue.

Point in case: although I Currently only use Klonopin on an as-needed-basis and don't take it every day, I actually took it every day for 11 years for stopping for 9 months (don't ask how I avoided withdrawal...I got lucky somehow and NO ONE should take them that much...) in low dosage for anxiety because as a medication they did not make me overly tired or overly sedated.

Anxiety can be considered "emotional pain" if you will.

So I used benzos to treat "pain" daily for 11 years without ill effects of almost any kind that I'm aware of.

Now...can that be done as easily with barbiturates?

Can people drive around on barbiturates and do competitive sports on barbiturates and even (DISCLAIMER: NOT good for HR) drink on barbiturates more times than would probably be safe...and go to school on barbiturates...and do many other things....all DAILY for ELEVEN YEARS and get away with it??

I'm kind of thinking that would be a LOT harder to do on something like Seconal or Nembutal from what I have heard about them.

Especially the whole driving many miles a day and doing competitive sports angle...I kind of imagine it being harder to do those things on Seconal or Nembutal than Klonopin.

But perhaps I'm wrong.

Perhaps in low enough dosage all those things could be done on barbiturates just as easily as they could be done on benzos and if so...fine then, I'll concede.

But if NOT...well THEN safety ABSOLUTELY goes hand in hand with efficacy when it comes to treating emotional pain or anxiety with benzos vs barbs.

The effectiveness IMO should not only be seen as "what relieves one's 'pain', either emotional or physical, the most on a given day", but "what relieves one's pain with the least amount of negative side effects in such a way that it can EFFECTIVELY be used on a regular basis for a longer period of time??"

If a drug that is being used to relieve emotional or physical pain can be used more regularly due to fewer side effects than another then over the course of time that does = greater efficacy IMO.

Maybe if you are talking about someone having one isolated really bad day they might say "oh yeah, on that particular day barbs helped more than benzos".

But what if they are dealing with a chronic anxiety issue?

Then doesn't safety go hand in hand with efficacy?

If they need a medication on a regular basis, but they can't drive on the barbs, and they can't do their favorite sport on the barbs, and they can't perform well in school or at their job on the barbs...but they just happen to FEEL better....while they can do all of the aforementioned on benzos...well, doesn't that mean in this case greater safety = greater efficacy?

Last edited:
Ok, you made some very good points in the post before this, and I'm not really interested in continuing this discussion any further but I'll answer anyway.

Aww, don't quit out now. We're almost at my favorite part. To willingly engage another in argument, only to recourse to a craven surrender at the mildest indication of your defeat is nothing but cowardice; it's a pusillanimous cop-out and shows you haven't got the gumption to either a.) convincingly argue your contentions, or b.) the decency to concede that you're wrong and to change your opinions accordingly.

I never said benzos were NECESSARILY more effective, so we are probably arguing over nothing

And I never said you ever said benzodiazepines are necessarily more effective, so you are probably arguing over nothing.

What I personally said was that they were better therapeutically because they were safer...

Therein lies the paramount mistake: you continually confuse and conflate safety with therapeutic efficacy. The two concepts are not connected. A substantial therapeutic window can coexist with a negligible therapeutic potential,and vice versa.

and YOU said that barbiturates were superior in every way for the most part.

For the most part, yes. When it comes to how effective barbiturates are relative to benzodiazepines as drugs for ameliorating or assuaging anxiety, insomnia, a plethora of parasomnias, delirium tremens, seizures, hypertension, panic attacks, depression, social phobias, agoraphobia, intrusive thoughts, OCPD, catatonia, psychotomimesis or psychosis—there simply is no comparison.

Again, a barbiturate is to a benzodiazepine for anxiety or insomnia as caffeine is to (d)methamphetamine or methylone for psychostimulation.

But the thing is, also...when treating "pain" whether it's emotional or physical both toxicity and ability to use the drug in your day to day life without causing too many problems ARE part of the issue.

I agree. And that's why pharmaceuticals are produced with specific formulations and dosages. The difference between a toxin and a drug is the dosage. Since the LD50 is lower for barbiturates compared to benzodiazepines, all that means is less of the barbiturates is used.

Barbiturates, it seems we're all too eager to forget, were prescribed for decades by clinicians and medical professionals all over the world, and they only obsolesced out of our culture's cyclical drug hysterica and fervent pharmacophobia.

Every decade has its worst drug ever. There's always some drug epidemic to popularise and proliferate through media for a burgeoning in revenue and viewership.

Point in case: although I Currently only use Klonopin on an as-needed-basis and don't take it every day, I actually took it every day for 11 years for stopping for 9 months (don't ask how I avoided withdrawal...I got lucky somehow and NO ONE should take them that much...) in low dosage for anxiety because as a medication they did not make me overly tired or overly sedated.

What's your point? Benzodiazepines are almost as demonized as barbiturates, and there exist countless articles (several entire pages of Wikipedia, alone) arguing anything from benzodiazepines are the most dangerous prescription drugs in existence (q.v., 1.) Benzodiazepines: Dangerous Drugs; 2.) Is This the World's Deadliest Pill?).

My point is that it can be equally demonstrated that clonazepam and other benzodiazepines are of no therapeutic value, insofar as we are to erroneously equate ineffective therapy with deleterious side-effect profiles.

By your reasoning, clonazepam is ineffective as a therapy because, like barbiturates, it comes with severe and numerous intrinsic risks and adverse effects.

Anxiety can be considered "emotional pain" if you will.

No, not even figuratively is this well-taken or veridical. Anxiety is fear in the absense of something tangible or palpable with which to actually fear.

For example, fear arising from being immobilised on the tracks of an oncoming locomotive is not anxiety, but fear. Anxiety is like the disquietingly amorphous and unknown but imminent cousin of fear. Anxiety is the response to a potential threat or calamity, whereas fear is a response to a real threat or calamity.

So I used benzos to treat "pain" daily for 11 years without ill effects of almost any kind that I'm aware of.

If my positive anecdotes about barbiturates are inconsiderable, so too are your positive anecdotes about benzodiazepines

Now...can that be done as easily with barbiturates?

With a sufficiently responsible individual, yes it can and has. I personally have used barbiturates since I was 17 years old and have done so on a regular basis for almost five years hence—I'm 21, now.

Can people drive around on barbiturates and do competitive sports on barbiturates and even (DISCLAIMER: NOT good for HR) drink on barbiturates more times than would probably be safe...and go to school on barbiturates...and do many other things....all DAILY for ELEVEN YEARS and get away with it??

One is not supposed to do any of these activities on any sedative or hypnotic drug.

I'm kind of thinking that would be a LOT harder to do on something like Seconal or Nembutal from what I have heard about them.

The dosage is what matters, here. Too much clonazepam can make daily activities much more laborious than too little secobarbital.

Moreover, why would anybody want to do anything whilst high on secobarbital, except have sex and lounge around?

Nobody takes barbiturates just for nice, relaxing drive across the countryside or up the block to the corner store.

But perhaps I'm wrong.

You really quite are. But you'll never admit to it here. And so, I've nothing further to say.