• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

My (LONG) story of how I overcame Cannabis induced panic attacks

Opiate_Euphoria

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I wanted to share with you my experience of overcoming panic attacks when using Cannabis.

I first experemented with Cannabis at the age of 14. I knew little of what the effects of this drug would be. I had only known what I had seen from television and from a few friends.

My very first time smoking Cannabis, was a ciggarette with the tabbacco emptied, and some low/mid grade product stuffed back in. My mindset was excited to try this substance since it was so famous. Myself and two other friends smoked the poorly stuffed ciggarette in an ally way after school. Being a complete novice to smoking anything, I only ended up taking 4-5 very very small puffs. The effects were minimal, the light from the sun seemed much brighter and I had a strange shift in my perception. Soon a was experiencing mild paranoia. I was walking home after the smoking session and I remember promising myself I was never going to smoke weed again and I had made a really bad choice. Over all, the experience was very mild.

After coming down from my experience I was able to reflect upon it and laugh off my paranoia. This gave way to my first time being truely high.

It was a cool fall evening, I was 14 years old, I wanted to experiment once again with Cannabis. Two friends who were older than me, and much, much more experience with Cannabis picked me up from my house. We had planned on smoking on this evening but I was feeling pretty nervous about it, since I had been so paranoid from my previous experience. We proceeded to a parking lot of a local Wal-Mart where we filled an Apple Martini cigar wrap with some lower quality mid grade. We then drove out to local park and began to smoke. We ended up smoking it all, hotbox style in my friend's car. I wasn't feeling much effect from the Cannabis when we were done, just a mild acceleration of my heart rate (Approx. 100bpm) We pulled away and were driving down the highway when it hit me. A sudden rush of what I can only call pure ecstasy engulfed my entire being. It was as if I could feel the THC in my blood being pumped into my brain. A massive tingling sensation not unlike when a limb "falls asleep" coarsed threw my brain. I felt so empathetic and loving, nothing was wrong in the world. My heart was beating rapidly in my chest but this was of no concern to me. All I could manage to do was express my deep affection of love for my friends and how amazing I felt. I rolled down my window and stuck my head out like a dog and the cool air just felt so right. My memory soon began to fade from this point. I experience a floating sensation when I attempeted to walk, and I apparently was talking to myself (from what they told me) My memory ends there.

That was the first, and last time I experienced pure Euphoria from Cannabis. From that night on, I was obsessed with feeling that way again, and soon began to smoke on a regular basis. Only now the drug took a sinister turn. Smoking soon began to lead to paranoid thoughts, and eventually full blown intoxicated panic attacks.

I will describe my most intense experience with Cannabis, which brought on what is best discribed as pure overwhelming terror. I must note I was taking prescription Dextroamphetamine (30mg) daily for atleast 6 weeks prior to this experience.

It was again, a cool autumn evening a year later. I was in a car with a 'friend' and two of his friends who were giving us a ride to a local town where we had plans to go out to eat with him and my girlfriend. We were driving down the highway when they pulled out a pipe and some Cannabis. I was still very novice to cannabis at this point and little did I know that the product in which I was about to indulge in was quite potent. Still to this day I have yet to smoke anything stronger than what was consumed that night. We began passing around bowls and taking hits. By the time we arrived to my girlfriends house, I had had about 6 hits and was very high. I walked inside her house and the light just inside the door was blinding, I could hardly open my eyes it was so bright (it was just a normall light that anyone who was not high wouldnt have thought twice about) I was apparently talking strangley and stumbling around a bit. We proceeded to the resturant and on the way I payed for a bowl to smoke to myself. This was a mistake I was soon going to regret. I smoked the whole bowl torching it and taking as big of hits as I could manage. When we walked in, it began to hit me. My heart was soon beating at a rate of approx. 150bpm. We were seated, and soon I was lost in time dilation. My thoughts took a sinister turn, I soon became paranoid that I had smoked too much and was going to die. Every heart beat seemed to be faster and harder than the previous. My thoughts began to speed up to the point of not being able to control them even slightly. The edges of objects were glinting, almost relflecting light. I kept telling my friends I was too high to be in public and needed to leave NOW. My vision began to become choppy. When I shifted my vision side to side I it was like i was seeing each frame move way too slow. This was WAY beyond any high I had previously had with Cannabis and I was panicing. I grabbed my girlfriend's arm and was begging her to take me outside, I was litterally crying in terror. I apparently had grabbed her so hard I left brusies. I closed my eyes and had the sensation that I was outside of my body, almost exactly like a 3rd person video game. It was like a vaccum was sucking me at an angle up and back out of my head. When I opened my eyes the world popped into focus and I found myself unable to understand what the people around me where saying. Everyone soon became a malevolent entitiy who only wanted to harm me and make me feel worse. I felt as if I had been sitting there, in what I can only describe as Hell for hours already, but infact It had been only 5-10 minutes. The waiter came to take our orders and I couldnt formulate a coherent setense and sent him away without ordering any food. I couldn't follow a train of thought for more than a few seconds. I just sat there feeling every heart beat pound away feeling nothing but utter and complete terror. I had never felt anything more indiscribabley intense and terrifying. I was in hell. I was stuck here for all eternity for being a bad person. There was nothing I could do to escape this. This was my new reality. My heart rate at this point was no less than 175bpm and my body was shaking. I began to plead with my friends to get me out of this place. Paranoid thoughts overcame my entire being and everyone was staring at me, the all knew my situation and didn't care. Eventually, after over an hour of being in hell we left, I was having difficulty walking and was almost catonic. The high was reducing in intensity, but hung around for a solid 5 more hours.

From that night on, I was never the same. Even the tought of Weed made me feel uncomfortable. Every time I smoked even a small amount (enough to get a buzz) I found myself pacing and being paranoid. I could no longer enjoy the drug that once gave me indiscribable Euphoria.

I eventually gave up on trying to find that bliss. I stopped smoking for years and eventually decided to try once more, only to find myself in the same situation having an extreme panic attack. This time I was hearing voices and having delusions much like psychosis.

Then after an extremely difficult period in my life where i could no longer function after a break up with my girlfriend I found myself completely unable to function. I was suicidal and decided I need help. I began to take Sertraline (Zoloft) 50MG daily. After a few weeks I began to think more rationally about my life and no longer was obessing about suicide and my break up. This was about 3 years after my first Cannabis expereince.

A little over a month after starting the Zoloft I decided to try to smoke again. This time I purchased some Alprazolam and took about 2MG before my smoke session and I found myself enjoying the high. It was strange, I wasn't paranoid and didn't have delerium. I soon found myself buying Clonazepam and popping up to 4mg before smoking to avoid the panic. The Sertraline and Clonazepam and completely erased any fear, anxiety, and paranoia from being high. I was able to smoke as much as I desired with no I'll effects. It was great!

Then I decided to give it a go without any benzo's. Just the sertraline. I became somewhat paranoid, and a bit anxious but I was able to talk myself down, something I had never been able to do before. I was able to think rationally again, I was not going to die, I was not going to be crazy forever. I was just high. This was amazing.

One night I was smoking, I had no tolerence. I smoked about 5 hits and held them in as long as I could. I was soon very high, my heart was racing and my head tingling. I began to worry that I was going to have a panic attack. I was about the third highest I'd been in my life and yet I was able to talk myself down. I thought, hey, I've been this high before, and I didn't go permanetly insane. The high was going to end in a few hours, I should just enjoy my altered mind state.

I had conquered my Panic attacks... I hope you enjoyed reading this. Feel free to ask any questions. I hope anyone out there who has experienced the same panic will find this a very hopefull read!

I've only read half, i'm tired as hell & this interests me. So no doubt i'll be back tommorrow to give you a better reply than 'lolionlyreadabitm8'

It's a long read and you'll probably get more responses if you break up the huge paragraph in the middle. But I'm really glad you posted this.

I conquered my cannabis-induced anxiety in exactly the same way. I started by smoking after I'd taken my bedtime dose of Xanax. (I used to smoke before I'd taken that dose.)

My dose is very small (.5mg), so I could still feel the anxiety building in me but I was able to talk myself out of it in the way that one talks oneself out of negative ruminations during an acid trip. I used breathing techniques and yoga as well.

After 5-6 times of using this combination, I had convinced myself that I could smoke without having anxiety. So I skipped the Xanax the next time and when the anxiety arose, I simply talked myself down and used the pranayama breathing techniques again.

Occasionally, I'll still develop anxiety after I smoke but I am always able to control it. It's great because I was disappointed that I had to avoid a drug that I really like and that I far prefer to alcohol for a number of reasons.

no offense, but your "friends" sound like dicks for not caring and not doing anything about it. they couldve stopped an obvious horrible expierience for you. set and setting man, even after smoking for 3 years heavily do i ever want to be out with a bunch of people when im high. glad your finaly are starting to like it and your life is on track. just be careful with other phsychadelics because of this history of paranoia

I like that you finally overcame the panic attacks. Most people would've just called it quits and never looked back. I'm not encouraging anybody to toy with their psyche using weed the way you did, but I really am happy that you finally reached the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

It was also one of the better walls of text I've seen on BL in a long time. For that and your hardcore determination, respect.

I've had bad anxiety in the past both sober and after smoking but I never used benzos.

Instead I drank A LOT of booze daily and I don't recommend that you do that.

I got over anxiety while high by just smoking more and getting used to being high more frequently and getting a tolerance. I noticed that for myself I would get panic attacks or bad anxiety while high only when I had a very low tolerance and I'd smoke too much.

I got into meditation and talking myself down while too stoned worked like just telling myself that I was just high and in a patch of anxiety and I'd be OK soon worked.

Good luck! I hope what I posted helps.

Yeah I've been on benzos for years and still had the worst panic attack of my life the other night from too much hashberry and I agree that its a tolerance issue. Weed back in the day had nowhere near the THC content of weed now. One of my local dispensaries has a strain that was lab tested to contain 22.3% THC and I forget the CBD level - 1.4 I think?

I'm not certain what the original THC content of cannabis was but I'm sure it was generally 5% or even less...

So now when I smoke, I take small hits, wait about 10-30 minutes, then if I'm alright, hit it again. But it usually only takes me 1 small-average hit before I am stoned.

1st response after i started reading and finished the big paragraph, i was going to say, "Where the fuck can i get some of that shit."

Then i realized that after i got busted for blow, that lately when i smoke bud the same thing happens that you describe, but not quite as intense, as in my heartrate dont beat really fast, but i start to shake.

Good read!

I suffered from seriously bad panic attacks and depersonalisation when I smoked the second time round. I ended up in hospital and I have come to the conclusion that the anxiety was so severe that this is what caused me to lose control of my actions and behavior. I literally was unable to stop myself dancing around and singing in the hospital like a complete fool. Can you imagine being self conscious, axious and panicy on cannabis and then ontop of that, dancing around in the hospital so that everyone thinks you're just fooling around at the worst possible time? It was absolutely horrible and as soon as it was over I was desperate to get home because I was so embarrassed and ashamed. I have never really heard of anyone ever experiencing anything remotely similar to this ever on cannabis. Loosing control of your actions is a very strange thing indeed. It's as if you're viewing your life in a film, through your own eyes and are mortified but are unable to do anything to stop yourself.

I subsequently found, despite my initial naivety about dosages, that smoking small amounts (I never ever have more than about three shallow inhalations of a joint, or one decent sized one) will prevent anxiety of any degree in strains that have an anxious edge. I am able to easily smoke more of strains like KillerSkunk (mainly indica dominant strains) without getting the fear in me.

I thought, hey, I've been this high before, and I didn't go permanetly insane. The high was going to end in a few hours, I should just enjoy my altered mind state.

Exactly what I do and tell others to do while tripping on heavy psychedelics.

I get the same exact way when I smoke THC that was cut when it was mily and not amber.

ask for "couch lock" stuff instead of mind fuck.

That's gonna be the big difference between kind and brick weed.

so basically you just got really high and had a panic attack and psyched yourself out until you convinced yourself you simply need more drugs? you don't think your panic attack was more related to the 30 mgs of damps you were taking instead of just the 10 hits of weed?

maybe i missed the point, but it sounds to me like you couldn't handle your high, then after taking numerous other drugs, you learned to handle your high? did i miss something?

tl;dr

cool story bro

gotta love a long self centered story put on a forum like this.

Cool thread of sharing...love it! Fear & anxiety go hand in hand. The way I've found dealing with any such anxiety (well, it works for moi) from cannabis (and others) is to look at the psychology of fear itself. Roller coasters: gravity, height, speed, confusion, are the wheels still on, who last checked this thing's thing...? To the simply shout out to the hind, reptilian mind & say: I am safe, I'm not dinner, not prey, consciousness is a range of so called illusion: Mary will not harm me. (I am very aware & understand how this issue can be very, very persistently difficult, for many people & not all should partake)!!!~ Consciousnesses of consciousness, as one spiritually awakens, is very beautiful but can also be a tad startling when conditioning fails & you glimpse the mind's deeper essence as you begin to build a lay of the land. It's the same effect.

To surrender, trust nature, remind oneself of what "it is": the "flight or fight" response, a natural effect of the EGO trying to protect me from harm, & after millions of years of the evolution as a mind construct, yet now no fighting or running from it will help; it is unnecessary & counter-productive anyways. It is misleading me causing a form of fear I need not worry about....So, relax, do not not contribute further to & allow this old injury to grow & expand unchecked, but return to a calm frame of mind...now. Sit up, Breath, sing, dance. Try not to clutch or go fetal, although this is counter-intuitive for the western mind. Psychedelics can help heal as well as show up this matter thus Spiritual/personal growth! Peace...:|

Half a decade ago...A man conquered his fears with klonopin. [OP]

Kinda glad this thread got necro'd look at all the self re-assuring going around in this thread. "I pop benzo'z I can enjoy weed now" SMH

OP - thanks for your post. I appreciate it. To be honest I never thought of Alprazolam or using Benzo's strictly to reduce Cannabis related anxiety save for one time in ~2002. Mostly, I was chewing about 2 mg Alprazolam per day for the longest time and still had Cannabis anxiety. So, MJ use was pretty much an on and off affair until I got sick and started to use it as a medicine. Getting sick provided a motivation to truly find out if Cannabis could do anything for me (and it did). I don't recommend getting sick though :)

In 2002, I wasn't in a smoking phase, but my ex fiancee had me go to her dealer to pick up an ounce. She didn't want to go because the dealer knew her ex (a pretty messy affair all around). I was at the guy's house and he was making ISO oil on the stove and kept pressuring me to take some hit's (c'mon you weigh 200lbs, it's only a little bit, you only have a few km's to drive, aren't you curious, etc). I knew the guys who were growing and processing and they fed me pizza so I did the polite and stupid thing and kept taking hit after hit of ISO oil from red hot quarters place on stove elements. Eventually I left and drove back to my fiancees's place. It was a straight line drive, but very heavy traffic, and from my perspective the road was undulating up and down like a rope ribbony thing. No red lights or stops (thank God), and I drove using cruise control so my speed wouldn't vary.

After getting home, all I could say was 'give me Alprazolam NOW'. It worked....sorta. Since then I've never driven high, and usually never until 10 hours or so after smoking.

But when I started smoking medically I quit Benzo's cold turkey.

Tom