• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

My Iboga experience. Clean after 10 years of opiates.

mannequin

Bluelighter
Hello, I wanted to share my experience with Iboga by sharing a letter a wrote to my doctor, following my experience. I used painkillers for years on and off before I got into Heroin for about 2 years, I then started a Suboxone regimen at 64mg and took me about 6 years to lower my dose to 0.1 mg which I still could not get off of due to the PAWS. I tried Iboga and the first time it did not work; I believe this was due to the fact that I went straight into it while on 2mg of Subutex. I researched a lot and found its best to switch to Codeine or another short acting opiate for 2-3 weeks and I did this. Below is my experience:

I was administered a combination of Root Bark Iboga and TA Extract Ibogaine which I believe had a potency of about 50% Alkaloid.

This was not a flood dose, but they gave us a few grams at a time over the course of roughly 16-18 hours. They asked I not take any Codeine for the day, but I found this very difficult and since I was already lowering my dose every day I figured I could take 0.3ml at 8am on the day and it would be 12 hours before I was administered the first dose of Iboga. The week before I had lowered by dose to 0.9ml per day, which I was only able to do because of the sleeping pills; otherwise, my restless legs and general anxiety would have prevented any sleep. That was the hardest part.

Back to the Iboga, with 2 hours I began to feel better from the withdrawals of the day. You must lay down during the whole session because the nausea is very intense and there was vomiting involved, which is normal. One problem I had for about 12 hours was a really intense headache because we are also asked not to eat the whole day for detox reason, and I can assume it makes the Iboga work better. So, the nausea and the headache were a hinderance but it wasn’t too long before a subtle hallucinogenic effect started to take over.

I have past experience with hallucinogens but this was nothing like any of the others. Iboga is an experience where you go inside yourself and it sort of shows you a mirror with your true feelings, your inner child, and your pure thoughts. You really confront the emotions most effecting you and are able to analyze them from a “higher perspective”. Its not so much visual except your imagination goes wild and you tend to get a lot of subconscious feedback, some people experience this too fast but since I have experience with meditation I was able to slow this down and really “see” what I was thinking about. The most powerful point was when I started thinking about my friends who have either died, most of them from overdoses. They appeared in a que waiting to greet me and show me a message, all of their messages were really deep and encouraging. To me, this experience was very healing and part of me realizes that these thoughts came from within myself, and I don’t really attribute it to Iboga, but I also think that it opened the door for me to be able to have those thoughts.

Hours pass and I just stared at the wall thinking, very subtle effects sort of like alcohol or valium but very deep in thought. I thought a lot about my addiction, my childhood trauma, why I ever used opiates, I saw all of the times I was in pain which was hard to relive. Then I fell asleep for what seems about 20 minutes to 1 hour. This happened the first time as well, and around 8am after 14 hours of Iboga I wake up feeling more sober, enough to walk, with the same withdrawal symptoms that I have come to expect every day. This was extremely disheartening and left me thinking that I don’t have much hope but to take many months of recovery. At this point, they administer (what I believe) was 0.5 gram of the TA extract Iboga which continued another 6-8 hours of this.

After about 8 hours I began to sober up again and start to feel like it actually worked. I get up and take a shower and I felt like my nerves had not felt my body heat in the six years of being addicted to opiates, I was clear and focused. In the shower, I cried a lot because I really had the feeling this was the end and I just remember looking at my hands and touching my head as if it was the first time.

Still continuing I think the effects of Iboga are going on, taking my withdrawals away. The past two days I have had a renewed view on life. I have started exercising and I love it. I also do stretches in the morning, which really helps. I still feel a bit of uneasy and anxiety that comes up every 2 hours or so. I notice my appetite is back! Every time I eat, drink tea or water I feel better. The only problem, like I mentioned is my sleep pattern. I am going to bed at 10 and waking up around 7-8am, but the sleeping pills are pretty necessary for me. Since, not being able to sleep and the rest less legs was a huge trigger for me to use opiates. Today, I exercised and went for a two hour walk. I absolutely feel like its the first time I’ve went outside in years!

In short, I would say that Iboga is somewhat of a miracle for someone like me who is constantly traveling and working, and I don’t have any family support. My girlfriend has been very support and this helped me tremendously. Iboga has left me with an intense gratitude for everyone who put up with my addiction, knowingly or not. I would recommend Iboga to anyone.

It is to be known that Iboga seems to not work with Subutex or Suboxone, and you definitely have to do your research. I mentioned before that I did Iboga about 18 months ago while on Subutex and it did not work, I was taking 2mg at the time and though the Iboga seemed to mask the withdrawals I was using again within 24 hours. The Iboga people recommend you switch to Heroin for 6 days because they have the best results, I’m not sure this is good advice but I can personally say that I would have done anything to get to the point where I am. I am very glad we made the right decision to switch to Codeine for a few weeks. It definitely made the experience work properly. I also recommend extreme caution for people using Tramadol, Methadone or any other long acting opiates similar to Subutex. It requires a lot of research.

When someone is ready to really get clean, like me, then its possible and Iboga really helped the physical and mental side of my addiction. I don’t know how much I appeared to be desperate to get clean, but I really was desperate to be clean… I just wasn’t desperate enough to go through the turmoil of months of withdrawals. A friend of mine, from the states, said she was able to get off Subutex from tapering but it was not until 3-6 months until she started to feel normal again. Of course, everyone has a different experience but it seems the consensus was deal with this for over a month or two. From my experience of not taking it for two weeks, it starts to really feel like its not going away or even getting better.

I have absolutely no desire to use opiates again, no caffeine, no smoking, no alcohol (I have been not smoking or drinking for 18 months). Subutex can be a great substitute for street drugs, but the constant headaches, constipation, fuzzy head, lack of memory really puts a cloud on your whole life. It took me over 2 years to lower from 2mg to 0.1mg and still I found it very very difficult.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for sharing. :) I am on poppy tea, a long-acting opiate, and I am so ready to be done... I started using kratom addictively 10 years ago, for most of the years I used kratom but it eventually stopped working entirely and for some reason the many alkaloids in it make for the worst withdrawal I have ever felt, I find the poppy tea to have a more bearable withdrawal but the thing about kratom is it's over in 5 or 6 days and I feel fine. So I'm at a bit of a crossroads... I am attracted to the ibogaine experience but it's expensive. I do know I have to stop this, the negative effects on my life have been widespread.

Nice one, thanks for the report.
Best vibes to you in keeping off the opiates.
Xorkoth: maybe the ibogaine it's less expensive in the long run when you factor in not having to buy opiates any more? And of course, if it works, the benefits to your life might be priceless.

Where did you go for the treatment? I mean you don't have to tell me the exact clinic but what country did you do it in?

Yeah believe it or not i am ready to quit marijuana.
I am only satisfied when marijuana is in the house. I don't have to be smoking it.
It's the act of owning it, and having it for when i want it. Then when it is all smoked i feel sad. When i don't have it, i feel irritable.
As soon as i have it again. Everything is fine
Question boils down to "What if you don't want it anymore"
You say to yourself. "then don't buy it"
yet the marijuana is always there.
I am adopted and i was abused by two of the most heartless soulless creatures you could ever bother to consider human. I accepted my pain a long time ago. But i don't think i ever got over it. I accepted it enough to make me a Quasi Functional member of "society" My use of psychedelics has helped me see alot clearer. my... Binge addiction to stimulants, (which honestly since my last ayahuasca experience in december has been null and void except for coffee and marijuana)
I feel that because i had been on Concerta and Adderall mixtures for over 12 years of my developing life. 5-17 years old... There is literally a hole inside of me, which can never be filled. I cannot do MDMA, because i do not "do" mdma in a healthy way. One crumb i turn into a monster who just cannot stop putting it into his body. It takes me still to this day over a half gram eaten in a parachute to begin getting to where i want. THAT IS FUCKING BAD. Don't start tripping on me about potency or quality. You could give me the most liqourice mdma you have and i would still chuckle at your piddling 80mg and after for a 250mg parachute with some rails. It's part of my nature, involving stimulants. Where i am now in my life, i am happy enough to not do them.

BK-mdma was a different story, that shit has some serious pharmacological assistance attached to it the only problem being with it is you "become blank" it's not that you feel happy or sad, it's that you don't feel a goddamn thing at all. Yet you are so productive and at least outwardly happy. While inward you might as well be dead unconscious drone. You don't even remember half of what you say or do while you are on it at an exceeding dose, all you know is what you are saying and doing is right because the people around you are smiling. DERP.

My psychedelic use, has allowed me to at least be able to remain on top of the hole if that makes any sense.

Honestly being a "child" who grew into an adult with abusive and ignorant parents WHILE ON kiddie meth, is what ruined me.
I am addicted to feeling sorrow, when i seek something out that is stimulating it's not because i want to have fun. It's because i want to shut myself off. In a way that is productive, that gives me an ego that allows me to tell the world Where to fucking go.
They are remarkable for doing that. I never had a "tooth" for opiates. and ibogaine is something i have always, and i do mean always have wanted to try since hearing about it.

Honestly 2c-e keeps me away from all drugs, in a different thought modality after just 1 usage, 1 time every 3-4 months. It's quiet the rivet gun that tool. I don't even need an asprin.
2c-e has the ability to make it so i don't get frustrated or have headaches or yearn to fill that hole inside of me because it is full of something my mind is still working out

But i still return to this, NUMB sort of hole. I am addicted to stimulation, of all sorts. you could say it is my propensity not exactly helpful to my evolution.
But that mixed with the head injury from a few years back makes me for one interesting character. Considering it was the head injury that expanded my vocabulary....

But that is a different story.

Last edited:
I did this in the Netherlands, its one of the least expensive Iboga options, but for opiate addicts its a lot of responsibility on yourself to do it this way..... they don't offer much support for addicts, its more like a spiritual weekend retreat even though they are aware they are "treating" people.

I did this in the Netherlands, its one of the least expensive Iboga options, but for opiate addicts its a lot of responsibility on yourself to do it this way..... they don't offer much support for addicts, its more like a spiritual weekend retreat even though they are aware they are "treating" people.

Intriguing. I would consider it one day when I am making money and have a professional job.

Thanks for sharing. Ibogaine is amazing stuff...in so many ways...you didn't perchance do a session with Sara did ya?

I've been taking suboxone for like 4 years now, I dont really mind it. I could get off, but I dont really see why I should bother trying to get off of it. I take like 1-2mg multiple times a day (taking a whole pill doesnt seem to last as long as a pill cut up, and that much makes me feel really weird and groggy).

The hard part is a year after the ibogaine when you are convinced you could never relapse and the perfect shit storm happens, and the issues that brought you to opiates (a conscious decision to fall into addiction in order to avoid suicide) reeks its ugly head again. Stay strong and remember no matter how strong and well adjusted you are, life can bite you in the ass in a big way one day and all you have left are your old demons. I highly recommend you take the 'follow up therapy' bit a lot more seriously than I did and stick with a support group for a long time. The ibogaine practitioner I talk to says she recommend every long term addict have a follow up ibo session 6 months to 1 year after the first flood..so I am right on time a year later. Stay strong man, no matter how good it may seem your hardest days are still way ahead of you.

Teddy Roosevelt...I used kratom to get off suboxone and then went to ibogaine. Life is too short to read about the success of others when it comes to breaking the cycle. Get yourself some African spirit root! I've had some lapses of judgement since ibogaine but for the most part the past year has been the best ever in my life and I hope you can know that feeling first hand. Same to you Xork. Ibogaine costs about what a couple months worth of kratom costs and from diet, to interpersonal relationships, the ibogaine will give you so much beyond quitting. It does work! Basse.