• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My codeine situation and questions (MY ONLY THREAD)

Just go to any drug store, go to the cough and cold section and read the back of the bottle. DXM is an ingredient in the cough syrup, not the name of the cough medicine. You are making this really hard on yourself. We told you further up that DXM works and it's found in cough preparations and then you asked if we knew any cough syrups that potentiate your codeine. We don't know any by name since the members who answered you live in the US, but if it's in our cough meds then there's an extremely high likelihood that it's in yours.

How much of this DXM does one need to potenate codeine ? I have never used this DXM before. I have a cough syrup here that contains DXM 6.5mg per 5ml and also contains diphenhydramine.

Yep

And diphenhydramine is a mild 2D inhibitor, bad for both

Remenber that Codiene is just a prodrug for morphine, basically; I have been meaning to make, or significantly update, a potentiation thread, though Pregabalin or gabapentin, of course, however significant inhibition of 3A4 would directly increase plasma levels of morphine and M1(Tramadols metabolite) and prolong the elimination of both drugs, and also M1, IIRC

White grapefruit juice and cimetidine would be best for this, watch with the cimetidine dose, though, gotta go ATM, though surely someone can elaborate, or I jut plain haven't been beating you guys over the head with my dissertations and links ;)

So does DXM help with potenating codeine ? I have a benylin cough syrup containing 6.5mg per 5ml of DXM and also contains diphenhydramine. I just was a little confused with your comment.

Look for a bottle or pills that have 30 mgs of DXM. It's hard to find syrup or pills that only have DXM so the one I buy has 30 mgs of DXM and 12.5 mgs of doxylamine succinate. You'll need to take about 2 doses, or 60 mgs of DXM an hour before your codeine. Be careful of the ones with APAP. I'm sure you know that though.

Some members take larger doses of DXM but to start with you should take 60 mgs and decide from there if you need a higher dose.

Look for a bottle or pills that have 30 mgs of DXM. It's hard to find syrup or pills that only have DXM so the one I buy has 30 mgs of DXM and 12.5 mgs of doxylamine succinate. You'll need to take about 2 doses, or 60 mgs of DXM an hour before your codeine. Be careful of the ones with APAP. I'm sure you know that though.

Some members take larger doses of DXM but to start with you should take 60 mgs and decide from there if you need a higher dose.

Can you check the link in my OP, the DXM content is 6.5mg per 5ml but all thats available with DXM in well at least at the chemist i went to. So how much do you suggest for me to potenate codeine ?

I mean id have to go at least twice the suggested dose but i dont really care with cough syrup, done it loads just not with DXM in. So i should aim for 60mg, considering each 5ml is just 6.5mg of DXM ? I just want to get this right first time and i know from then onwards.

How much of this DXM does one need to potenate codeine ? I have never used this DXM before. I have a cough syrup here that contains DXM 6.5mg per 5ml and also contains diphenhydramine.

I thought I answered this but I don't see it. You need a cough syrup or pills that have a much higher amount of DXM. Look for one that has 30 mgs per dose. Watch out for other ingredients in it though. I use one that has 30 mgs of DXM per 10 ml of syrup and it has 12.5 mgs of doxylamine succinate. You need 2 doses, or 60 mgs of DXM about an hour before you take your codeine. If you find a preparation that has 20 mgs of DXM then you'd have to take 3 doses. Be careful because too high of a dose can be unpleasant, especially if you haven't used it before. Don't ask me what is unpleasant, I can't explain. It's just a sensation of not feeling good and then I have to zofran or promethazine to stop the nausea.

I can buy a generic brand of cough syrup for $4 in the US. Stay away from name brand because they can be 3 times as expensive.

I thought I answered this but I don't see it. You need a cough syrup or pills that have a much higher amount of DXM. Look for one that has 30 mgs per dose. Watch out for other ingredients in it though. I use one that has 30 mgs of DXM per 10 ml of syrup and it has 12.5 mgs of doxylamine succinate. You need 2 doses, or 60 mgs of DXM about an hour before you take your codeine. If you find a preparation that has 20 mgs of DXM then you'd have to take 3 doses. Be careful because too high of a dose can be unpleasant, especially if you haven't used it before. Don't ask me what is unpleasant, I can't explain. It's just a sensation of not feeling good and then I have to zofran or promethazine to stop the nausea.

I can buy a generic brand of cough syrup for $4 in the US. Stay away from name brand because they can be 3 times as expensive.

Yea it was a brand name but the only i could find containing DXM but only has 6.5ml.

Would 37mg be a decent starting point ? As in if i have 8 5ml spoonfuls thats what the amount of dxm will add up to. 37mg

No. I don't think 37 mgs will do it, and you could make yourself really sick taking so much cough syrup because of the other ingredients in it. I would strongly advise not to do that.

Go to another store, a grocery store or even Walmart and a Target or whatever they are called over there will have a cough and cold section. I'm reluctant to even buy the bottles that have 20 mgs per 10 ml but if that's all they have then I'll buy it until I can get to another store. I honestly wouldn't touch a bottle that has 6.5 mgs of DXM. Check for pills also. Our cough and cold section has them but the ones I bought made me sick so I stay with cough syrup, but that's just me. I haven't been lucky enough to find any with just DXM and no other ingredients, but they do exist.

Keep looking. You could even check websites that ship to England to see if they have any. Don't buy brand names though, they are stupidly expensive, as you found out.

No. I don't think 37 mgs will do it, and you could make yourself really sick taking so much cough syrup because of the other ingredients in it. I would strongly advise not to do that.

Go to another store, a grocery store or even Walmart and a Target or whatever they are called over there will have a cough and cold section. I'm reluctant to even buy the bottles that have 20 mgs per 10 ml but if that's all they have then I'll buy it until I can get to another store. I honestly wouldn't touch a bottle that has 6.5 mgs of DXM. Check for pills also. Our cough and cold section has them but the ones I bought made me sick so I stay with cough syrup, but that's just me. I haven't been lucky enough to find any with just DXM and no other ingredients, but they do exist.

Keep looking. You could even check websites that ship to England to see if they have any. Don't buy brand names though, they are stupidly expensive, as you found out.

Damn it wasted money there buying what i did, wasnt cheap neither. But thanks for the guidance mate, i will go look again tomorrow. Just its supervised sales for these things so we have to ask the chemist guy what we want and he passes it to us we cant browse each item thats sold OTC.

Dang, that sucks. Have you thought about buying it online then? You'd have a chance to browse the products until you found one with what you want. It's weird that you can't even look thru the cough syrups to find what you want. If you have to ask the chemist then tell him you need a nighttime cough syrup like robitussin DM because your doctor said it was the best. That's all you need to remember..."Do you have a cough syrup for night time that is the DM version?"
Although I still think ordering it online is best, if possible.

Dang, that sucks. Have you thought about buying it online then? You'd have a chance to browse the products until you found one with what you want. It's weird that you can't even look thru the cough syrups to find what you want. If you have to ask the chemist then tell him you need a nighttime cough syrup like robitussin DM because your doctor said it was the best. That's all you need to remember..."Do you have a cough syrup for night time that is the DM version?"
Although I still think ordering it online is best, if possible.

Ill give it a shot i guess.. They just say cough syrups arent for that, its bullshit even tho on the box it says aids sleep etc. Our health administration is a lot different than most countries. The cough syrup i have is the night version.