• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My codeine situation and questions (MY ONLY THREAD)

Inc3pti0n

Bluelighter
Codeine potenation question JUST UPDATED

Ok so my original post was answered, thaank you guys. I found some benylin cough syrup that contains DXM, wasnt cheap at all!.. How much of this does one need to potenate codeine 30mg tablets. I usually take 2 50mg tramadol of an afternoon then from 6pm to midnight i take 10-12 30mg codeine per day or around 300-400mg to achieve where i need to be. So im hoping that i can potenate codeine with this product so i take less as i dont want it to get out of hand the amount of codeine i am taking, im trying hard to manage my pain in tampering myself down on pain meds and stocking for future emergencies, whilst undergoing physiotherapy.

The benylin cough syrup i have contains
14mg diphenhydramine per 5ml
levomenthol 2mg per 5ml
6.5mg of DXM per 5ml.
normal dose is x4 5ml spoonfuls in 24hours it states.
How much would i need to potenate codeine 8 30mg codeine tabs (240mg).? Would 37mg of dxm be a good starting point ?

I am new to using a potenator hence why im asking in depth, i need to make sure i have the right product with the right ingredients to potentate without causing myself harm, hence me asking the community before just going ahead taking an unknown amount that may be way too much..

Last edited:
1. i imagine it would but the dose you'd have to take for it to have any potentiating effect would always most likely cause delerium, benadryl should not be abused in any cases in my opinion.
2. probably not physically dependant if you dont have any withdrawals.
3. people have differing opinions on this, but its not recommended to go above 450mg or so at once even if you have a tolerance, due to the high histamine release that could occur.
4. 6-12 hours for most people, but again this can vary due to peoples different rates of metabolism

if you really wanted to use an anti histamine to potentiate codeine i've heard that cetirizine is the one to go with, it can also help with the big histamine releases at higher doses.

1. i imagine it would but the dose you'd have to take for it to have any potentiating effect would always most likely cause delerium, benadryl should not be abused in any cases in my opinion.
2. probably not physically dependant if you dont have any withdrawals.
3. people have differing opinions on this, but its not recommended to go above 450mg or so at once even if you have a tolerance, due to the high histamine release that could occur.
4. 6-12 hours for most people, but again this can vary due to peoples different rates of metabolism

if you really wanted to use an anti histamine to potentiate codeine i've heard that cetirizine is the one to go with, it can also help with the big histamine releases at higher doses.

Ive only taken 1 25mg benadryl, 10 300mg codeine and 200mg tramadol im not abusing benadryl in any way nor would i. I read it potenates it and stops the itching effects from opioids which i get a lot with codeine hence why i took one before writing the post.

I very much appreciate your feedback here.

Ive only taken 1 25mg benadryl, 10 300mg codeine and 200mg tramadol im not abusing benadryl in any way nor would i. I read it potenates it and stops the itching effects from opioids which i get a lot with codeine hence why i took one before writing the post.

I very much appreciate your feedback here.

Yeah small doses like that shouldn't really have any negative effects other than stopping the itches which is due to histamine release. I've just seen first hand people taken very high doses of it trying to potentiate opiods and it never turns out good. Around that dose cant do no harm though.

Yeah small doses like that shouldn't really have any negative effects other than stopping the itches which is due to histamine release. I've just seen first hand people taken very high doses of it trying to potentiate opiods and it never turns out good. Around that dose cant do no harm though.

Yea like the promethazine stuff that was going about, completely understand, dont agree with it and i dont see the point of it having codeine in it, thats just made for abuse in my opinion.

I've been prescribed promethazine to help with sleeping for about a year now, 50mg a night, I don't really see why people would want to abuse it at all, but of course with the whole "lean" thing it was / is all the hype. For me it's just another med.

I've been prescribed promethazine to help with sleeping for about a year now, 50mg a night, I don't really see why people would want to abuse it at all, but of course with the whole "lean" thing it was / is all the hype. For me it's just another med.

So prometh/phenergan actually does help with sleep ? Here in the UK we can buy it OTC but obviously isnt lean like has the codeine mixed with it. I do suffer with sleep problems but the medication i take helps, tramadol and codeine sometimes diazepam. But i would rather something more natural and less harmful in the long run if that makes sense. Sorry im going off topic here.

So guys, on the other hand to avoid me taking more of one substance such as codeine that im prescribed, is there anything i can use to potenate it in order that i dont take more than i should ? I currently take 240-300mg of codeine but would like to take less if i can potenate it with anything.

Yeah promethazine helps with sleep, doesn't really make me drowsy / buzzed at all but it makes me less restless. it's pretty expensive to buy if you're not prescribed it, and they only sell it in very small packets and doses at pharmacies. At first i didn't really think it helped much with sleep until i stopped taking it and couldn't get ANY sleep at all, so my doc put me back on it. I'm not too sure how it would go with codeine, obviously a lot of people would say it goes well together but I've never really tried it. From my experience it doesn't really seem to potentiate dihydrocodeine much, if at all.

edit: also yeah from what I've been told by my doc it doesn't really have any negative side effects if you take it over the course of a long time

Well, I don't take codeine but I take other opiates/opioids and some of the things that potentiate them are promethazine and dxm. ;DXM is found in cough syrup and pills, although you want one that has 30 mgs of dextro and no APAP. Take 2 doses of the dxm an hour before the codeine. We have threads here about DXM and there are threads about potentiating (sp?) medicine also. I've found that DXM absolutely works with my pain meds. I take promethazine every night and it makes me sleepy and makes my other meds work better. ;Gabapentin and Lyrica help also.

Well, I don't take codeine but I take other opiates/opioids and some of the things that potentiate them are promethazine and dxm. ;DXM is found in cough syrup and pills, although you want one that has 30 mgs of dextro and no APAP. Take 2 doses of the dxm an hour before the codeine. We have threads here about DXM and there are threads about potentiating (sp?) medicine also. I've found that DXM absolutely works with my pain meds. I take promethazine every night and it makes me sleepy and makes my other meds work better. ;Gabapentin and Lyrica help also.

I have pregabs here 150mg but ive never taken them, heard a lot of bad stuff about them. But they do potenate codeine your saying ?

I will look into some thread on potenation opiates. But how do i get hold of DXM ? Is it prescription only ? Im from the UK just to make you aware.

Pregabalin would potentiate codeine just like gabapentin. DXM is short for dextromethorphan which is a cough suppressant. If you were going to purchase some, read the label and make sure it is a formulation that is DXM-only.

Yep

And diphenhydramine is a mild 2D inhibitor, bad for both

Remenber that Codiene is just a prodrug for morphine, basically; I have been meaning to make, or significantly update, a potentiation thread, though Pregabalin or gabapentin, of course, however significant inhibition of 3A4 would directly increase plasma levels of morphine and M1(Tramadols metabolite) and prolong the elimination of both drugs, and also M1, IIRC

White grapefruit juice and cimetidine would be best for this, watch with the cimetidine dose, though, gotta go ATM, though surely someone can elaborate, or I jut plain haven't been beating you guys over the head with my dissertations and links ;)

But i would rather something more natural and less harmful in the long run if that makes sense.
If you're looking for something that will help you sleep, and is okay in the long run I recommend taking Melatonin. It essentially is a neurotransmitter that can easily be acquired OTC everywhere as far as I know, and with the codeine and tramadol it would be rather easy to fall asleep.

Anyone know any cough syrups or anything OTC that can potenate codeine ? Besides grapefruit juice.

Anyone know any cough syrups or anything OTC that can potenate codeine ? Besides grapefruit juice.
Detromethorphan is an over the counter cough suppressant that potentiates codeine, and has similar effects to that of Ketamine. Have a nice day, Inc3pti0n. Sincerely, TheManInvisible.

Detromethorphan is an over the counter cough suppressant that potentiates codeine, and has similar effects to that of Ketamine. Have a nice day, Inc3pti0n. Sincerely, TheManInvisible.

I will have to have a look out for this, havent heard of it.. Does it go by other names ? Im from the UK... But thank you TheManInvisible.

Edit - Did a search for this and it doesnt look like it available here in the UK. This is the nearest thing to it -

https://www.benylin.co.uk/products/benylin-dry-coughs-night

Is this correct ?

Just go to any drug store, go to the cough and cold section and read the back of the bottle. DXM is an ingredient in the cough syrup, not the name of the cough medicine. You are making this really hard on yourself. We told you further up that DXM works and it's found in cough preparations and then you asked if we knew any cough syrups that potentiate your codeine. We don't know any by name since the members who answered you live in the US, but if it's in our cough meds then there's an extremely high likelihood that it's in yours.

Also, I just wanted to comment that promethazine and codeine is a good and safe combination, which is why it has been around for decades. Just about anything with an opioids/opiate in it can be abused but I don't understand your comment about not agreeing with the combination because it could be abused. The promethazine stops the terrible itching that codeine can cause. I take it everyday with my pain meds.