• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc My 4 year Kratom experience

Tnhpdc

Greenlighter
Hey all, just wanted to document my journey with this drug and maybe warn others of its nasty effects on your life. Everything I write will seem crazy (amount I was taking) but it’s 100% legit. To preface, I’m a Marine Combat veteran with many pain issues, both mentally and physically. i had a tramadol addiction from 2011-2013 which ended in an arrest, almost losing my job…and my marriage. I ended up at the Va detox center for a week. Anywho, back in 2017 I discovered Kratom while on vacation to Maine in a headship, took a little bit (1 gram maybe) and felt great, pain went away and it cleared my anxiety and PTSD-ish issues to some extent. Over the ensuing years I somehow started taking more and more and up until 2 weeks ago prior to starting my taper off, I was ingesting well over 150 grams a day (more if on vacation or unable to use powder). Wake up at 8 take two heaping spoonfuls, at 10:45-11:00 take another two with 4 caps, at 2-ish another two, at 5pm 14 caps, at 8:30 another two spoons and 6-7 caps. On vacations or days out with family I couldn’t bring powder so I relied on capsules, same schedule every 2.75-3:00 hours I’d take 14-15 caps.

About 2 weeks ago I had a blow out with my wife and while I won’t get into specifics, 90% of those issues were due to kratom, no sex drive (completely dead), anti-social, walking around like a zombie, constipation so bad I gave myself internal hemorrhoids, which are painful as anything. Worst of all was the constant stress of coming up with a way to navigate vacations or even any trip outside my home, whether just grocery shopping or spending day with family (always kept 25 or so pills in my pocket). It was controlling my life, every 3 hours or so, anything longer and I started to feel nasty withdrawals.

After the blowout with my wife (on vacation at her families house) I came home first and she stayed another week and a half. I decided I needed out of the Kratom hell…bad. So I nutted up and decided a taper, just your basic cut down every day. As of now I’m extremely proud of myself for getting under 20 GPD. It’s weird reading other folks’ experiences and how large of a dose they believe 10-15 GPD is, I’m estancia that I’ve gotten under 20. I plan on maintaining 20 this entire week, I bought some phenibut and it came yesterday, and will use that the following week when I cut from 20 to 10 GPD. I’ve read some nasty withdrawals happen on phen so I don’t plan on using more than a week 250-500mg a day in the morning.

im an extreme guy so my intake of Kratom was extreme but I’m so happy to be motivated to quit and stop worrying about not being able to quit for fear of withdrawals as I’ve experienced in the past on tramadol. Kratom may be a plant but for me the withdrawals are nasty. One thing I will say, pounding those vitamin C tabs every 3 hours has really helped with the amount of time in between my Kratom doses, I went from 2:75 - 3:00 hours needing a dose of 2 heaping spoons, to now over 4-4:50 hours with half or quarter spoon full. Btw, I found out a spoonful is 7.39 grams per and 4 capsules equals 1 spoon full. When I measured my old dose in grams I couldn’t believe how much I was taking…just flabbergasted..

so anyone trying to quit with minimal Withdrawls…taper, it’s not as hard as I once thought and I was abusing the hell out of Kratom. I felt nothing for the past few years, just kept taking it for fear or withdrawal…you opiate users know the drill.

thanks for listening.

Everything is fine in moderation. Kratom is like any opiate, I do enjoy the people in the thick of their addiction coping and saying it doesn’t affect their sex drive or hormone level. Biology just is,

Everything is fine in moderation. Kratom is like any opiate, I do enjoy the people in the thick of their addiction coping and saying it doesn’t affect their sex drive or hormone level. Biology just is,
Totally killed my sex drive depriving my wife of physical connection needed for a happy marriage. Honestly I’m ashamed.

Totally killed my sex drive depriving my wife of physical connection needed for a happy marriage. Honestly I’m ashamed.
Ya it completely neuters you, there’s a reason trans people use it in their regimen. It’s gonna be really hard to completely jump off. Best thing to do is find things to distract you like work, gym, etc. Try pine pollen extract and nettle root to get your hormones back in the right place. Set a goal of only using Kratom after a few weeks off. It’s more realistic and will show you like without. You have to go completely off to see the benefits of sobriety. Even a gram a day will inhibit your body from reaching homeostasis. You will find mostly enablers stuck in their own addictions on this site. Good luck brother

Hey all, just wanted to document my journey with this drug and maybe warn others of its nasty effects on your life. Everything I write will seem crazy (amount I was taking) but it’s 100% legit. To preface, I’m a Marine Combat veteran with many pain issues, both mentally and physically. i had a tramadol addiction from 2011-2013 which ended in an arrest, almost losing my job…and my marriage. I ended up at the Va detox center for a week. Anywho, back in 2017 I discovered Kratom while on vacation to Maine in a headship, took a little bit (1 gram maybe) and felt great, pain went away and it cleared my anxiety and PTSD-ish issues to some extent. Over the ensuing years I somehow started taking more and more and up until 2 weeks ago prior to starting my taper off, I was ingesting well over 150 grams a day (more if on vacation or unable to use powder). Wake up at 8 take two heaping spoonfuls, at 10:45-11:00 take another two with 4 caps, at 2-ish another two, at 5pm 14 caps, at 8:30 another two spoons and 6-7 caps. On vacations or days out with family I couldn’t bring powder so I relied on capsules, same schedule every 2.75-3:00 hours I’d take 14-15 caps.

About 2 weeks ago I had a blow out with my wife and while I won’t get into specifics, 90% of those issues were due to kratom, no sex drive (completely dead), anti-social, walking around like a zombie, constipation so bad I gave myself internal hemorrhoids, which are painful as anything. Worst of all was the constant stress of coming up with a way to navigate vacations or even any trip outside my home, whether just grocery shopping or spending day with family (always kept 25 or so pills in my pocket). It was controlling my life, every 3 hours or so, anything longer and I started to feel nasty withdrawals.

After the blowout with my wife (on vacation at her families house) I came home first and she stayed another week and a half. I decided I needed out of the Kratom hell…bad. So I nutted up and decided a taper, just your basic cut down every day. As of now I’m extremely proud of myself for getting under 20 GPD. It’s weird reading other folks’ experiences and how large of a dose they believe 10-15 GPD is, I’m estancia that I’ve gotten under 20. I plan on maintaining 20 this entire week, I bought some phenibut and it came yesterday, and will use that the following week when I cut from 20 to 10 GPD. I’ve read some nasty withdrawals happen on phen so I don’t plan on using more than a week 250-500mg a day in the morning.

im an extreme guy so my intake of Kratom was extreme but I’m so happy to be motivated to quit and stop worrying about not being able to quit for fear of withdrawals as I’ve experienced in the past on tramadol. Kratom may be a plant but for me the withdrawals are nasty. One thing I will say, pounding those vitamin C tabs every 3 hours has really helped with the amount of time in between my Kratom doses, I went from 2:75 - 3:00 hours needing a dose of 2 heaping spoons, to now over 4-4:50 hours with half or quarter spoon full. Btw, I found out a spoonful is 7.39 grams per and 4 capsules equals 1 spoon full. When I measured my old dose in grams I couldn’t believe how much I was taking…just flabbergasted..

so anyone trying to quit with minimal Withdrawls…taper, it’s not as hard as I once thought and I was abusing the hell out of Kratom. I felt nothing for the past few years, just kept taking it for fear or withdrawal…you opiate users know the drill.

thanks for listening.
Your daily intake actually makes me feel like I’m not the only person that was doing that much. I switched from kratom to Tianeptine and it didn’t take long before I was equally weighted down by the fear of withdrawal and always needing a pocket full of caps. Inevitable, a cap would fall out here and there and it wasn’t long before my wife’s pride that I had stopped kratom was replaced with whatever non addicts feel when they are face to face with the ridiculous and extravagant constructs of vocabulary and “facts” we employ to be honest with our loved ones about something in earnest, while actually using that honestable set of talking points to point their attention away from anything that might require a lie to keep the peace. I am still in the grips of a large daily habit of Tianeptine and my hope is to use one to get off the other. I’m a very experienced opioid operator and have largely been able to avoid relapse in my 30s and early 40s but it seems like once I turned 45 it is way harder to stop my vices like I used to.
Anyway, your not alone and good for you for taking command of your daily’s like you have. I really believe that the fear of WD is worse than the reality of it. It’s an odd dance that I do with myself, always having something that I need to hide from people and should quit. The older I have become the less destructive that the dance partners I pick seem to be. 25 years ago it was heroin, coke, and whiskey along with anything else I could find. Glad that’s over.

Ya it completely neuters you, there’s a reason trans people use it in their regimen. It’s gonna be really hard to completely jump off. Best thing to do is find things to distract you like work, gym, etc. Try pine pollen extract and nettle root to get your hormones back in the right place. Set a goal of only using Kratom after a few weeks off. It’s more realistic and will show you like without. You have to go completely off to see the benefits of sobriety. Even a gram a day will inhibit your body from reaching homeostasis. You will find mostly enablers stuck in their own addictions on this site. Good luck brother
Thanks for the kind words bud

Your daily intake actually makes me feel like I’m not the only person that was doing that much. I switched from kratom to Tianeptine and it didn’t take long before I was equally weighted down by the fear of withdrawal and always needing a pocket full of caps. Inevitable, a cap would fall out here and there and it wasn’t long before my wife’s pride that I had stopped kratom was replaced with whatever non addicts feel when they are face to face with the ridiculous and extravagant constructs of vocabulary and “facts” we employ to be honest with our loved ones about something in earnest, while actually using that honestable set of talking points to point their attention away from anything that might require a lie to keep the peace. I am still in the grips of a large daily habit of Tianeptine and my hope is to use one to get off the other. I’m a very experienced opioid operator and have largely been able to avoid relapse in my 30s and early 40s but it seems like once I turned 45 it is way harder to stop my vices like I used to.
Anyway, your not alone and good for you for taking command of your daily’s like you have. I really believe that the fear of WD is worse than the reality of it. It’s an odd dance that I do with myself, always having something that I need to hide from people and should quit. The older I have become the less destructive that the dance partners I pick seem to be. 25 years ago it was heroin, coke, and whiskey along with anything else I could find. Glad that’s over.
You nailed it. Exactly. Fear of withdrawal is also very strong preventing most from quitting their opioid of choice.

I am at 70 grams a day. Many days less, but I also abused it. Sucks having the issues we have. Always wanting more. I applaud your taper success, and hope everything works out for you. Keep it up.

I am at 70 grams a day. Many days less, but I also abused it. Sucks having the issues we have. Always wanting more. I applaud your taper success, and hope everything works out for you. Keep it up.
I never got how people did this. I don’t feel anything sometimes after even one dose. But the second I get absolutely nothing. I’m guessing it’s a mental thing

I never got how people did this. I don’t feel anything sometimes after even one dose. But the second I get absolutely nothing. I’m guessing it’s a mental thing
Probably right. The ritual of it all. I am also baffled by it, yet I do it. Taste like crap also, but to just feel "normal", I do it. Damn shame. Not a way to live.

You should be proud, Marine. Well, to an extent. Most people walk through life too afraid to tackle their problems seriously, leading to divorce, losing jobs, no money, jail.. etc.

You have control of your life now, and don’t let anyone or anything take it again. So, I’m proud of you. And your wife will be as well.
Thanks for your service. 🫡🇺🇸

I have been off kratom since 2019 but the years I was on it, it never negatively affected my sex drive. If anything, it seemed to heighten my sex drive. Is that unusual?

Same was true with heroin for me. I have heard other people say that being addicted to heroin caused them to lose interest in sex but that was never the case for me. If anything, heroin seemed to increase my sex drive as well or at least never caused any problems in that regard.

I agree that a lot of people who are addicted to kratom will go to great lengths to justify their use and looking back I am glad I decided to get off it (lots of benefits to being off) but sex drive isn't one of them.

I have been off kratom since 2019 but the years I was on it, it never negatively affected my sex drive. If anything, it seemed to heighten my sex drive. Is that unusual?

Same was true with heroin for me. I have heard other people say that being addicted to heroin caused them to lose interest in sex but that was never the case for me. If anything, heroin seemed to increase my sex drive as well or at least never caused any problems in that regard.

I agree that a lot of people who are addicted to kratom will go to great lengths to justify their use and looking back I am glad I decided to get off it (lots of benefits to being off) but sex drive isn't one of them.
It’s mostly cope. The Brain does some crazy shit to encourage an addiction.

Yo

thanks for listening.

Your doses are quite extreme but I do believe you since you have a chronic pain background. I'm kind of surprised that it affected your sex drive. Maybe in the super high ranges kratom does in fact decrease male libido. I personally have noticed zero consequences from kratom itself regarding sex drive, the only issue is that it does desensitize sex when the effects are present so I would avoid taking it before doing anything sexual for a solid 3-4 hours. When you say it affected your sex life, does that mean ability to perform or just a general lack of no horniness?