View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

My 1st and 2nd shrooms experiences were not what I was expecting

BigHussy Hussein

Greenlighter
A couple of months ago I had my first ever experience with shrooms. I had ordered 15g of Atlantis variety (medium to high potency) magic truffles from an established Netherlands supplier. This is a higher amount than you are advised to take first time, but I wanted a truly mind blowing experience. I had a sober "sitter" friend come over to supervise me on my trip and had everything I might need prepared. I chopped the truffles up really finely and mixed them with a little peanut butter and spread them on oatcakes. Your experience is supposed to start after around 15mins of consuming them.
But I was waiting there with little or no discernible effect for about two hours before a noticeable change in mood and behaviour occurred. My friend said by that time it had probably passed into my gut. I experienced a slightly different way of thinking, had closed eye visuals and a higher appreciation of music. But this is more the effects I would have expected from 5 grams not 15. I was looking for something more. I'm sure I could have operated heavy machinery perfectly safely in this state.
I wanted to try again to see if it was just a degraded or weak batch that I had taken. So six weeks later I tried 15g of the highest potency Utopia variety, chopped finely and mixed with a little hummus. This time I was alone in a darkened room. The effects were pretty much the same although they came slightly sooner at around one hour or so. It was OK as a recreational experience but I wanted something more profound.:\
What I am looking for is a life changing potent blast of a trip from psychedelics. What am I doing wrong? Could I possibly be naturally resistant to the substance? I weigh 70kg and have never taken anything psychedelic before. Do I need to take a higher quantity or just try something else.:?

Truffles are generally considered to be weak and of variable quality at best. I'd recommend finding (or picking) some proper psilocybe cubensis or semilanceata mushrooms. If they are high quality you can usually get powerful effects from 2-3 (dried) grams upward

Last edited:
Shrooms have always made me trip. Hard. Always an eighth (of an oz). Kick in time is usually over 30 minutes, under an hour. Visuals are obvious. People look orange. I cant comprehend music, it sounds orgasmic. I am not even remotely sober, someone could spot me 10 miles away. Pubils are gigantic.

Are you on medication? I'm not sure what effects mushrooms, but SNRI made LSD do nothing for me. If you're not on medicine, my only other suggestion is "that shits bunk bro".

Question) were they dried? Everything I've done them, they have been dried

They were fresh truffles. It's the only type of shrooms I could find available. I tried looking for them to pick but It was October at the time and I think it was too late in the year in Ireland. I'll try foraging for them again this summer. Failing that I will just try upping the dose of truffles as its apparently safe to do with shrooms.

I am on medication, but nothing that is meant to affect my mood/mind. Maybe it is that though. I never considered that.
Thanx for the responses!

Last edited:
I think you ate too much (peanutbutter and oatcakes i mean). You should take shrooms on an empty stomach. The fact that it took 2 hours for it to work says it all. It's supposed to work within approximately an hour.

Another thing, i find shrooms, though they're a powerfull psychedelic, emotionally and spiritually flat, compared to LSD, ayahuasca or mescaline. Those substances are realy superiour to shrooms in my opinion. Not because they're more powerfull, but because i simply find that shrooms are lacking in those psychological effects. It's extremly visual, it's in a sense alienating and weird, but it only goes skin deep, compared to the other psychedelics. I would either try another psychedelic, like the ones i mentioned, or combine your shrooms with some kind of MAOI, like syrian rue or caapi.

Shrooms have always made me trip. Hard. Always an eighth (of an oz). Kick in time is usually over 30 minutes, under an hour. Visuals are obvious. I am not even remotely sober, someone could spot me 10 miles away. Pubils are gigantic.

Lmao!!! HELL YEAH!! Shrooms rip me up to man. Not to be taken lightly. Much respect for my fungi allies.

Dosages for wet mushrooms tend to be around 10 times higher than for dried mushrooms. So you only consumed the equivalent of around 1.5 dry grams. Not a particularly large dose. Depending on the strength of the mushrooms, 1.5 grams could definitely be disappointing.

I am on medication, but nothing that is meant to affect my mood/mind. Maybe it is that though. I never considered that.

What meds are you on?

I prefer to make tea out of the shrooms and drink it on an empty stomach. That way they will come on faster and stronger, in about half an hour. And you don't have to eat the actual shrooms this way. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, you could take a higher dose. Be careful with upping the dose though, shroom potency can vary a lot. The same amount from a different batch can be a lot stronger (or weaker). Real LSD is also a good alternative.

They were fresh truffles. It's the only type of shrooms I could find available. I tried looking for them to pick but It was October at the time and I think it was too late in the year in Ireland. I'll try foraging for them again this summer. Failing that I will just try upping the dose of truffles as its apparently safe to do with shrooms. I am on medication, but nothing that is meant to affect my mood/mind. Maybe it is that though. I never considered that.Thanx for the responses!
Would you mind elaborating on which medication it is that you take? Then we will quickly be able to determine whether or not that might be the problem.But otherwise, I would agree with whoever said that you should be taking them on an empty stomach. A full stomach can greatly diminish the effects of any orally administered drug. Failing that, either the mushrooms are weak and/or you have a naturally high tolerance. Just try a higher dosage, mushrooms are physically safe right up into astronomical dosage levels. Don't increase too much though, just go bit by bit in sensible increments until you find a dosage you like. Even a small increase in dose can sometimes result in a huge increase in effects, and due to the potential psychological effects of these substances, that isn't always a good thing (especially for those who are less experienced).

I'd say the amount of food you ate had a lot to do with it. I had my best experience with truffles when I swollen them first thing in the morning with 2 pints of water. Thr taste was rough but the effects were pretty decent