• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[MUSIC] The 80's thread .... (links only please, no full video screens)

The 80s was the last proper decade, IMO. I mean, in terms of popular culture. I suppose I'd feel different if I was into hip-hop. But fashion sort of stopped in the 80s, didn't it? We seem to have now settled, in some way, on a timeless, fairly bland cultural aesthetic.

Or am I just talking pish?

The 80s was the last proper decade, IMO. I mean, in terms of popular culture. I suppose I'd feel different if I was into hip-hop. But fashion sort of stopped in the 80s, didn't it? We seem to have now settled, in some way, on a timeless, fairly bland cultural aesthetic.

Or am I just talking pish?

We now have bands that draw from everything that went before. There is a larger range of music than ever before. There is so much more music than ever before. Im sure theres loads of stuff out there that id love, its just hard to find it these days, unless you have the radio on all the time, catching all types of music shows. Last time i checked a music magazine Q generally seemed have the same kind of ideas as me as what made a band or album good or not. NME is too full of pretentious bullshit. I think Qs demographic is for 20/30/40+ people who still enjoy their music. I feel like i should have bought Rolling Stone but i never have. Whats their taste like ? Are they like Jermey Clarkson stuck in 1975 or something, somehow i got that impression about it, may well be entirely wrong about that,

Its hard to notice fashions unless they are particularly extreme, like ive noticed the return of high waisted jeans for girls. I hate those things, I wish theyd stop wearing them. I much prefered the shorts with the black tights underneath them, i hope that doesnt go out of fashion, though im fearing it is. Its no longer the fit sexy students wearing that outfit, its the mums and the 4 year olds. Damn. Some people are trend setters like ellie goulding, all the teens has that kind of quoffed big hair for a while. And in the early 2000s there was that awful gelled in mohican that some guys wore for a year or so. In ten years time we'll look back on the fashions of 2013 and think omg how daft we looked. Maybe. Or you could be right. There doesnt seem to be any particulkarly striking fashion for blokes these days. No chernobyl chinos like in the 80s, no doccers and drainpipes like in the 70s. Weird eh ? Ive never been much into fashion, though i care about how i look, and as a teen i dressed and grew my hair like the people in my favourite bands.

Last edited:
elton john, david bowie, it doesnt show on them at all though really. They dont look like theyve been through the wars with drug addiction. Mind you as Pagey said theyve probably had plastic surgery. Apparently Elton John was very heavily addicted to cocaine, yet hes a middle of the road favourite. Weird hypocrytical culture we live in.

lol, probably, on call 24 7. Bowie seems to be laying low these days, whilst Elton John seems to get on TV every chance he gets.

elton john, david bowie, it doesnt show on them. Mind you as Pagey said theyve probably had plastic surgery. Apparently Elton John was very heavily addicted to cocaine, yet hes a middle of the road favourite. Weird hypocrytical culture we live in.[/QUOTE

Apart from Bowie having a heart attack perhaps, oh and looking like the living dead at the height of his addiction of course

Also plenty of 'middle of the road' and dull types loved their coke, it's not really a drug that promotes revolutionary thinking or anything

Bowie released a successful album earlier in the year, and his appearance on Extras is probably my favourite thing he's ever done.

What has Elton John done recently? He appeared in that Stephen Fry documentary for a bit...I can't remember the last time I saw Elton John do something before that though.

Bowie released a successful album earlier in the year, and his appearance on Extras is probably my favourite thing he's ever done.

What has Elton John done recently? He appeared in that Stephen Fry documentary for a bit...I can't remember the last time I saw Elton John do something before that though.

i missed bowie on extras, i'll have to catch up on that, i saw elton john on that stephen fry thing. I get the impression that Bowie rarely did interviews but EJ did them all the time, thats just the impression i got, i may be wrong.

Jack Nicholson apparently is one person who just never does interviews, he doesnt need to for a start, and it would be a shame to shatter the illusiuon of this amazing charismatic guy he appears to be, if hes not actually like that. Maybe hes like that areshole who became a better person in 'As Good As It Gets'. We'll probably only get to know when he dies, and then it'll all be gushing tributes anyway. Bruce Willis has a big problem with interviews, he stuggles to project that cocky charsima hes famous for in his films, and apparantly every chat show host dreads having to interview him.

Also about Stephen Fry, i recently learnt that he attempted suicide again during the filming of that series about homosexuality. I mean i thought he was brave to do it even before that, but if it was gonna upset him to that extreme, maybe he should have been advised against doing it. Ive allso just read that he is president of the mental health charity Mind. He just keeps going up and up in my book.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22782913

During one of his autobiograhies he mentioned his years of cocaine addiction and said 'but thats a whole other book in itself'. Im looking forward to that one if he ever does it.

Last edited:
Here it is.

It's just one scene, right at the end of the episode...It's a bloody brilliant moment of comedy history IMO.

Aww lol poor Ricky. Cheers for that, ive only seen some episodes of extras, i should watch them all, its very clever the way he makes comedy out of extremely embarrassing situations and social awkwardness.

Elton has a new album out now, but I haven't heard it. But he had a rather excellent blues album out with Leon Russel a couple years ago which I really like - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Union-Elton...487&sr=1-1&keywords=elton+john+&+leon+russell

I'll be back with some cracking 80's music soon :) I have some obscure bits & pieces to dig up...