Music software/hardware/gear discussion

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Not sure if such a thread exists, but thought we could have a place to discuss music gear- software, hardware, instruments, whatever.

I'm rebuilding my "studio" and mainly focus on electronic music. Recently purchased Native Instruments Komplete 14 on sale and just loving it. Comes with the workhorse VST Massive, as well as Massive X and something like another 30 synths/samplers. So much complexity, this is a lifetime of exploration. I've been trying the Reaktor Blocks bitx which is a software environment for building modular synths- just amazing stuff although very easy to route something weirdly and devolve into chaotic noise.

If you want a fucking brilliant free wave table synth, check out Vital. This is akin to Serum in terms of sound and modulation options, but is free (although paying gives you access to more options). Great for dubstep bass and psytrance squelches, incredibly versatile. Honestly, just this synth alone and a DAW would probably be enough for all needs.

What sort of gear are BLers salivating over these days?

Not salivating at all on hardware level, in fact I;m selling them off.

But I love to talk so I'm wondering if you've checked out ABsynth by NI / K

I was able to create a lot of lush synth goodness with it.

I use it a lot in game soundscape jobs and is worth 1000 X the cost if ya got the chops to wield it....