View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Music festival cancelled after drug overdose deaths, say organisers

fengtau

Bluelight Crew
Published: Saturday March 15, 2014 MYT 5:56:00 PM
Updated: Saturday March 15, 2014 MYT 10:55:24 PM
Taken from: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/15/Music-festival-cancel-confirm/

Music festival cancelled after drug overdose deaths, say organisers

BY JAYDEE LOK AND RASHVINJEET S. BEDI

IMG_1869.ashx

PETALING JAYA: Organisers of the Future Music Festival Asia (FMFA) will not proceed with the last day of the festival after six people died of drug overdose on Friday.

"In the interest of public safety, we have heeded the authority’s advice to not proceed with Day-3 of Future Music Festival Asia 2014.

"This is also to help in the on-going investigation. We appreciate the understanding of all parties and will share updates on this matter as soon as possible,” the organisers said in a statement its Facebook page.

One person died on the spot at the venue in the Bukit Jalil Stadium, while another died on the way to the hospital. Four others died at the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital (HUKM).

The six deceased, all Malaysians, were between 21 and 28 years of age.

Another three people, two of whom are in a coma, are in critical condition at both hospitals, said police. Two of them are from Singapore.

The organisers said they had filed a police report and are working with the relevant authorities.
Police have already closed the roads leading to Stadium Bukit Jalil and have sealed off some parts of the venue to prevent concert goers from entering the festival grounds.

Major international acts like DJs Martin Garrix and Bassjackers had tweeted pictures of themselves making their way to the venue only to announce that their sets might be cancelled.

Hundreds of people were seen waiting at the festival entrance, unsure if they will be let in.

According to local rapper Sayla, the other performers scheduled for today are also in the dark.

"I don't know what's going on. We're all just hanging out backstage waiting to be told what to do. We've been scheduled to play now but we're still waiting. Bassment Syndicate were supposed to go on before us but they played for a bit and then their set got cut," he said.

Also meant to perform today are music A-listers like Pharrell Williams, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Rudimental.

Hip-hop jazz group Bassment Syndicate had already taken stage only to have their set cut short.

Now in its third year, FMFA has been dubbed the largest music festival in Southeast Asia with an estimate of 85,000 attendees from across the region based on the tickets sold.

The organisers said details of refunds will be announced within one week and that ticket buyers are urged to logon to www.futuremusicfestival.asia for updates.

Related: Five die of drug overdose at music festival http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...tival-Asia-2014-abruptly-ends-after-five-die/

this shit's always depressing - I don't get the attraction about trying out new, esp. hard, drugs, likely for the first time, at these music festivals...if you've never had acid/mushrooms, molly, coke, meth, etc. etc. etc. before, why start at a music festival, out in the open with everyone around you, where product is often unreliable? I just don't get it man...

not everyone's like this, but I sort of doubt these overdose deaths were from people who had a lot of experience with the drugs they were taking

this shit's always depressing - I don't get the attraction about trying out new, esp. hard, drugs, likely for the first time, at these music festivals...if you've never had acid/mushrooms, molly, coke, meth, etc. etc. etc. before, why start at a music festival, out in the open with everyone around you, where product is often unreliable? I just don't get it man...

not everyone's like this, but I sort of doubt these overdose deaths were from people who had a lot of experience with the drugs they were taking

Yeah. no thank you. If I am tripping or even rolling I just want to be with some friends who I can relax with in a controlled environment and enjoy the experience.

It just comes down to the culture of these drugs. People go to certain concert, blubs or raves and feel its the norm to ingest something that is suppose to enhance the experience. Most first timer s are vastly underestimating the effects what they are taking are going to cause.

Also, with OD deaths that are related to things like MDMA, MDA, Amps, coke, etc (the carious uppers we associate with these kinds of festivals) the ODs are often not just a matter of a dose too large to handle, but of other physical factors like temperature/humidity, excessive physical exertion w/o proper hydration, and congenital predisposition to cardiac problems or hyperthermia. In most the events of these ODs if a person had taken the same dose of the medcacation and was just hanging out at home in a controlled environment, then no problem would have likely occurred.

Also Macklemore was there, if I had to listen to that clown I'd probably die, too.

During the festival, our air quality was bad. It was very hazy, hot and humid. In addition to that, the organisers were ripping people off! They are charging USD3.50 per bottle of water. That's a formula for disaster.

Imagine you're a college kid and have very little money to spend. You purchase the drugs and have nothing left for water...

During the festival, our air quality was bad. It was very hazy, hot and humid. In addition to that, the organisers were ripping people off! They are charging USD3.50 per bottle of water. That's a formula for disaster.

Imagine you're a college kid and have very little money to spend. You purchase the drugs and have nothing left for water...

that is really messed up.
If the people are not provided with water, things will go badly.
I would blame that for the deaths as much as the drugs, based on what i have seen at festivals

Seriously every big festival I've been to has had free water.
Water bottles have to be paid for but you can fill them up for free