• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [Mushrooms Subthread] Different Strains & Cultivation

A quick note on Panaeolus mushrooms ... a buddy of mine got some P. tropicalis spores and grew a batch, and we made a pot of tea out of 4.8g of dried mushrooms (88 mushrooms in total, they were absolutely miniscule, the biggest one weighed .07g) and then split it between the two of us.

The effects hit us within 10 minutes and didn't stop carrying us upward until T+1:15, at which point I lay down in his backyard and experienced what I can only describe as a 30-minute DMT breakthrough. I have simply never experienced anything like it before or since. I feel pretty certain that the variation between the P. tropicalis we consumed and any Psilocybe species I've ever consumed was a matter of much more than just "how strong" they were. It was a different KIND of trip in a very easily discernible way and I feel safe saying that if someone gave them to me blind in tea, that I'd be able to identify them as such.

Can I ask a cultivation question on behalf of someone?

As you know, shrooms are amongst my least favorite psychedelics. That said, my friend got one of those grow-kits with millet grain in a bag. She inoculated it with cubensis using a syringe, and placed it in an incubator sort of thing that kept it around 70f/20c (I think).

Anyway, after a month passed and no mycelium, she decided to shake the grain to see if anything grew inside. Nothing did. She left it there and about 2 days later she noticed that the bottom of the bag was very white, and that some white feathery stuff was climbing up on the sides. The bag also puffed up so something must be breathing.

What I wonder is that, is that something a desirable thing? Does it take that long for mycelium to start growing? and also, if it is, can shrooms fruit on millet? It looked way too loose to me when I saw it...

The temperature for the incubation period should be 85F, then once the mycelium has fully colonized the bag it should be lowered to 75F for the fruiting.

Keeping them at 70F is sure to slow the colonization rate. The white stuff she sees is a very good sign though, as long as its only white. Can be blueish too but any other color is contamination

With rice cakes, dry yield can be up to a quarter of the weight if you're lucky.

Some cambodians are inoculated tomorrow :) Using PF Tek but with whole grain wheat flour instead of brown rice (got some random rice kernals added though) plus gypsum...
Also doing a liquid culture with honey for some great mycelium.

In january/februari I'm gonna start with azurescens for outside, throwing holes in the ground full of colonized beechwood chips.

Its gonna be sweet!!! =D

I want to dry, capsulate and freeze the cambodians, maybe also try ethanol extraction for a sick tincture!

I wonder about the legality of guerilla mushroom farming? Most of the azurescens will be in a private yard but still I'm curious about just putting them in nature?

Can I ask a cultivation question on behalf of someone?

As you know, shrooms are amongst my least favorite psychedelics. That said, my friend got one of those grow-kits with millet grain in a bag. She inoculated it with cubensis using a syringe, and placed it in an incubator sort of thing that kept it around 70f/20c (I think).

Anyway, after a month passed and no mycelium, she decided to shake the grain to see if anything grew inside. Nothing did. She left it there and about 2 days later she noticed that the bottom of the bag was very white, and that some white feathery stuff was climbing up on the sides. The bag also puffed up so something must be breathing.

What I wonder is that, is that something a desirable thing? Does it take that long for mycelium to start growing? and also, if it is, can shrooms fruit on millet? It looked way too loose to me when I saw it...

Sometimes it takes a while for the mycelium to grow enough to be visible. It may take weeks before you see anything. Sometimes you see it in a day. Go figure.

If the mycelium is white and thick, it's probably good. If it's grey and hairy it's probably bad.

Shrooms can't fruit from straight millet. You'll need either a casing or a bulk substrate to provide water for the mycelium. I would recommend a coir based bulk substrate, casings are so last season...

Coir is easy to prepare. Mix in 1 part vermiculite with 2 to 4 parts coir, pour boiling water on it, cover and let it cool. After it has cooled to room temperature, take it one handful at a time and squeeze each handful until only droplets of water emerge from it.

You have a grow bag of millet, so the thing to do here is leave it alone until the mycelium has colonized approx. 25% of the millet inside it. At that point, give it a good massage, so that the mycelium gets mixed into the millet grain all the way, this will greatly speed up the colonization process. However you should only do this once. After this you just leave it be again and wait until 100% colonization.

At 100% colonization: you prepare the coir bulk substrate, and then mix the colonized grain (what is called "spawn") with the bulk substrate, this is called "spawning". A good ratio is 2 to 3 parts bulk to 1 part spawn. You can go higher, but then it'll take longer for the secondary colonization.

Now when you have the bulk and the spawn mixed, you put them in a plastic tray, cover it with foil, and put it away for a week or two. Try to keep peeking under the foil to a minimum, as this increases the chances of contamination. One way is to use plastic wrap instead of foil, then you can see the mycelium without opening it. However you'll need some airholes, which you should cover with micropore tape.

Once the mycelium has completely colonized the bulk substrate, you'll be ready to transfer this into the fruiting chamber. Good luck!

Oven Sterilisation of Mushroom Jars

Apologies if this belongs in the basic discussion, but as it refers to a specific aspect of mushroom cultivation I thought it fit better here:

Basically, the general consensus on home sterilisation of cultivation jars seems to be to boil them in a pressure cooker for an hour (Or that's what i've read)
Howver, I don't have a pressure cooker or even a large enough pan, so was wondering: would simply baking the jars in a medium oven work? (and boiling rice cakes seperately)

I've used this method for homebrewing beer before, but think fungi require a greater level of sterility?
Anyway, has anyone experience of or ideas about this method? I don't want to waste time and money on a lot of useless mould...

Thanks for any advice ^_^

Welcome!!

You would completely dry out the substrate doing that.

basically you need a pressure cooker, otherwise just use a pan with a lid and boil for at
least an hour. You might get contaminants but it should work okay, far from ideally though.

By the way:

Here's a guideline for initiates:
  • please read the rules, you will benefit yourself from proper conduct,
  • use the search engine (this is in the rules) first to check if the subject of your question or remark has not already been covered or devoted a thread to,
  • use the Psychedelic Index to find your way around, major topics are covered there and they include subthreads for more in-depth focus on specific subjects. The Psychedelic Index can be found at the top of the main Psychedelic Drugs page with a big link. :)

Because of this I will be merging this thread here together with the sub-thread of the Big & Dandy Mushrooms thread, the one for mushroom cultivation.
Don't worry, I'll give you a break before doing that but please check either the search engine or the psychedelic index to find if a thread exists about your topic. :)

ah ok- so this post will be in the larger thread soon?

Anyway, I know what you mean about the drying out- however my idea was to simply cook the substrate separately, then put it in the empty cooked jars, my reasoning being, if i'm careful, sterile + sterile = sterlile

if no-one can help I'll treat it as research then lol

Don't you think that in the process of putting the substrate in the jars germs will fall in there? I think the point of it is that you sterilize and then make sure the container is sealed, and that there is filtered air exchange. But if you make a very decent glove box your way *might* work, I could see it being sufficient but you will probably get contaminations more often than normal.

IIRC bulk substrate can be merely pasteurized because if you crumble myc through it, it will be run over anyways.

Yes this will be added to the Mushroom Cultivation subthread but there is no hurry as long as this thread shows progress, its
the same if I merge now or later.

Buy a pressure cooker. They are very inexpensive. Anything else is a waste of your time.

By all means make your own mistakes if thats what you feel like doing, but you really are going to need a pressure cooker to sterilize a medium for this purpose.

Tip: Use dots of clear silicone on tyvek material covering the jars and sealed on with the rings. Inject through the silicone dot and you will have very little contamination.

Yup, aka a self-healing injection site.

Personally I use plastic filter boxes, they have lids that have incorporated filters in them and I just poke a hole through the lid and seal it off with tape. Then after inoculating through the tape I immediately tape over it again. Had surprisingly little contamination that way...

Merged just like I said.

Last edited:
bluelight's not the ideal place for learning mush techniques-- try mycotopia, they are friendly knowledgeable and very helpful for beginners and advanced alike

How hard is it to grow mushrooms?

I'm interested in trying mushrooms. The only thing is that I can't find any, and I'm afraid that someone will just sell me some mushrooms they found in the ground. So I figure that I should just grow my own.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it difficult or expensive?

Growing mushroom isn't expensive or hard to do. Cubensis Psilocybe is a very forgiving mushroom when it comes to growing.

All you basically need is...

Spores
A bedroller
Mason Jars
Vermiculite
Perlite
Brown rice flour.

You should visit www.shroomery.org - They have alot of guides and tips regarding growning mushrooms and how to do it.

Good luck.

On a scale from 1 - 10; 1 being very easy and 10 being very difficult/impossible. It rates to a 5. The troubles are avoiding contamination and having the proper equiptment.

The begining I am certain will be a bumpy ride, you have to be a considerate "parent". Trial and error with some patience is the best advice.

You'll have to invest maybe like $100?

You'll need a large storage container, spores, pressure cooker, jars, brown rice flour, and vermiculite.

It´s actually possible to order sterilised PF tek substrate in glasses so you just need to innoculate them with a spore syringe and put them into a place with the right growing conditions.
Five sealed glasses of 450ml sterilised substrate cost about 22€ - or - 30$. So theres nearly no contamination risk anymore.

It´s actually possible to order sterilised PF tek substrate in glasses so you just need to innoculate them with a spore syringe and put them into a place with the right growing conditions.
Five sealed glasses of 450ml sterilised substrate cost about 22€ - or - 30$. So theres nearly no contamination risk anymore.

That's not bad at all, I might look into that at some point.