• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushrooms and Potential mental illesses?

Drsamichmc

Greenlighter
Hey y'all,

Ive been strongly considering taking Mushrooms.

Recently in the past 4-6 months I've been struggling with depression and drug abuse (i'm pretty young so that's pretty normal for people my age). And now that I'm entering my senior year of high i'm being faced with many important decisions. I been personally struggling with how and/or solve these two problems. I'm very interested in the idea that Mushrooms and all Psychedelics can give users very beneficial affects in terms of creative insight and help people improve their ego. I'm also aware that there is a risk of opposite affects. I feel like I'm ready for such an intense experience and I'm VERY curious what it is like! However there is just one problem:

My Mother is an extremely mentally ill individual. She could be Schizophrenic or Bipolar, she is constantly extremely paranoid and she definitely has GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). Her mother had Alzheimer. I have noticed almost all of those symptoms/quality of those disorders in myself and one of my sisters. I've read that Psychedelics can make predisposed genetic mental disorders onset early on people.

So, my question is:

Do you think that it would be safe/dumb/dangerous to try mushrooms? DO you think that I'm ready for such an expierence. I'm also open to trying LSD but I'm afraid of the potential negative effects of acid as well.

Thanks!

Me;)

Psychedelics are not a panacea to cure any and all ailments as some would have you believe. So don't take them with the idea of being "cured".
Also, if you are depressed and drug addicted those two things alone would/should give you pause, not to mention the "symptoms" of mental illness you display.
I'd have to advise against it, but then who the fuck am I to tell what to do? JMHO is all.

You definitely shouldn't. All psychedelics have a good chance of triggering mental illness if you're already predisposed, which you mention you are. Very bad things could happen.

I would definitely say to not do any psychedelics now. There are several reasons. First of all, you're depressed and already abusing drugs. Combine that with the fact that you're young, and this is a recipe for disaster. Being your age means that you are in a very unstable time, as you evolve out of childhood and into adulthood over the previous and next handful of years. It is will be maximally difficult for you to be able to have enough control and a strong enough sense of self to safely take psychedelics. There are people who take them at your age and it turns out fine. I ate mushrooms when I was 18, but I had gone to college, was in a new and exciting stage of my life, and I was very happy with myself and my life. it was great for me, but if I had been depressed and worried it might not have been.

Also your family history of mental disease is troublesome, for sure. I wouldn't worry about the alzheimer's so much in terms of drug use, I think that's more something that happens to some people predisposed at old age, but the schizophrenia/bipolar/whatever from your mother is certainly something that could be triggered by psychedelics, especially at your age when your mind and emotions are very fluid and still rapidly growing. Especially given that your mother experiences mental illness, I would wait to try psychedelics, if you still want to, when you're no longer a young adult, past your early twenties, because generally these sort of mental instabilities develop from around now to your early twenties. If you feel strong and good then, I'd say you would probably be safe to try psychedelics, if it still seems like something you want to do.

You sound very intelligent about your approach to this, so good job on that. :)

^ I know some people might take that negatively, (adult telling a younger person to wait until they're older for something) but I'm 19 and I agree that psychedelics should stay out of the picture until you're much more developed.

I know so many people my age completely fucked from psychs and it's bad man. You can irreparably damage your mind if you're not careful and dont understand the risks involved. Props to you for asking questions.