• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom Homegrow- Just birthed jar cakes and seeing specks of mold? What to do?

crestfallen

Bluelighter
I started off with 6 jars and right before I birthed them, I noticed that 1 jar had a quarter-sized patch of mold so I threw it out. The other 5 looked great, covered in mycelium and looked like they were supposed too. I put them into the FC a few days ago and I just noticed one of the cakes has a few sand-sized specks of mold. Should I remove it before the others get infected? I had a sanitized work station when I was inoculating them and birthing them so idk how they got infected.

I read that colonized cakes are more resistant to mold but idk what to do with that cake. I don't want to risk infecting the other 4 cakes and losing everything. I would really appreciate some help as this is my first grow. Thanks!

What colour are the mold specks? If you're 100% sure they're mold and not tiny little mushroom pins, I'd just chuck it right out, you don't want to take any chances with mold. There are some really toxic molds out there that you should never ever ingest (many aspergillus sp. for example)

What perpetual dawn says goes.

You can test for mold by using a cotton q-tip, dipping it in hydrogen peroxide and then gently swabbing the 'mold'. If the q-tip discolours or the 'mold' smears, it's mold. If mold (are we talking about white fluffy cobweb or blue-green mold?) toss it or put it into a 'hospital' fruiting chamber by itself..

If the mold is blueish green, but doesn't smear or discolour the q-tip, it could be cake bruising due to dehydration, but that tends to happen after/when you are actively fruiting.

Pins can look like zits, blackheads or.....

mnlbCS1l.jpg

The cake looks contaminated in the foreground, but it isn't; I'm pretty sure it was mycelial overgrowth.

Tom

I feel like by the time you birth a cake, the mycelium easily fights off disease and invasion. It's the incubation period that you have to worry about and be so sanitary for to avoid contamination.

So I looked closer and found 3 other cakes that have the same type of mold. I don't know what's happening. Here are some pics I took that can probably tell you more than I could
14ifw5d.jpg

2vmwtxk.jpg

oixksn.jpg

2yl1m40.jpg

ad2m1y.jpg

2vmwtxk.jpg

I tested them using the peroxide and it did come off on the q-tip. So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
That looks like trich. which is a green mood. Not much you can do other than remove those cakes and pray that your fourth cake doesn't come down with it. Trying to play operation and removing the mild that is visible doesn't have a good rate of success for saving an infected cake, but you could always try slicing off the green and rubbing a bit of H2O2 where it was and put the cake in a hospital FC.

When mold infects the cake throw it out. The mycelium is sort of like a root system and has been infected by the mold. If you take those shrooms you could potentially kill yourself

Is there anything else I can do that might save my shrooms? I have enough perlite for one cake so I will put the healthy one in a seperate FC.

Also, I heard you can eat mycelium. If I cut off the moldy specks could I still eat the white fuzz and trip? At least it won't be a total waste...

No, nothing can save them. Sometimes even when you take all the precautions, it happens anyway. It sucks.

As sailor bugg says, it looks like tric(hoderma).

The mycelium does contain some active ingredients; I don't know how much to be honest. I've heard of people eating the cakes, but since I gag when getting even a bit of vermiculite in my mouth from a shroom, I've never bothered to eat a cake....just threw em away. And I've got no idea how much of a buzz you'd get.

Hate to say it, but I think the best route is to throw everything out, sterile and start again :(

Sorry.

Tom