• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

muscimol/ibotenate isolation method?

LS-F

Bluelighter
id like to learn how to isolate muscimol/ibotenic acid, whichever ones easier. if i can get this done then ill invest in a dab rig and smoke. muscimol has no burning point, at a certain heat it will vaporize and will leave no ash. muscimol inhalation works as evident by anecdotal reports of people smoking it and when smoking enough they always report effects. ibotenic acid will just decarb into muscimol under a flame, and then vaporize. for this i can also make muscimol carts with lets say 10% muscimol to start off. or ibotenic acid works fine too. i just need rather an isolation method or a source to buy (its legal so mods plz dont get butthurt). if i get feedback on where to get muscimol/ibotenate/ how to isolate and i can have a 90 percentile yeild i will make a follow up post detailing the smoking experience. thank u!!!

even legal sourcing isn't okay here.

I would look at papers where people have extracted muscimol to see their methods. Based on the structure possibly an acid-base extraction could be of utility.

What is your level of chemistry knowledge? Preparative chromatography would definately do the trick, but there is a learning curve + you need the proper solvent system and resins.

The references I found claimed that it was extracted with ethanol and purified with HPLC, which isn't something easily done. Normal acid base extraction is not necessarily possible, because it looks like muscimol can act as both an acid and a base (similar to morphine) and is possibly destroyed by some kind of ring cleavage if it's in too alkaline solution.

Someone went to the trouble of finding several synthetic pathways to thiomuscimol BUT I cannot find any reference to it ever being tested:

Of course their was a vocal minority on the internet circa 1993 stating that it was 100 times more potent than muscimol although nobody could point to a reference that suggested any such thing.

Lyykeburg & Krogsgaard-Larson did go on to produce a lot of related chemistry, but as far as I can tell they were more interested in syntheses that bioactivity.