• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mugwort extratction (thujone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmuwts

Greenlighter
English is not my main language so I'm sorry if there are some mistakes...
----------
I've already tried multiple Google searches as well as the search engine on Bluelight but without luck.

Recently i've been experimenting with the extraction of different herbs using only my kitchen and basic kitchenware and yesterday finally I got around to extracting Thujone from Mugwort.

There's very little info on this topic online but I read what I could find and created a basic idea of how it should be done so went down to a store and bought 1l of 95% Ethanol for just 2.5$.

I went home, ground around 60 grams of dried mugwort and put it in a mason jar (with lid) which I then filled with ethanol. Since then I've been violently shaking it a total of 20 times. The liquid gathering at the top when the jar is not in any movement has turned into an extremely dark green color. I interprete this as a good sign since my logic tells me that, that could have something to do with potency.

I've only been able to find two sources on how long I should let the mixture sit before I start the actual extraction. One source said 2 weeks and the other said 6.

Here comes the actual question:
Is there any reaction taking place in the jar, besides the alcohol gathering the Thujone from the herb, that makes it important to wait so long or is it simply a matter of getting the most out of it?

It has been in the jar for around 24 hours now with occasional shaking.
If I took it out now how will you estimate it to be?
Would it be completely useless or just not very potent?

Appreciate all replies that could be useful! Thanks :)

maybe in higher doses but it's used recreationally fairly often.

What you're doing is a solvent extraction. It's the same principle as putting hot water over tea leaves or coffee powder - the solvent (water, alcohol, whatever) dissolves the desired substances. If you shake your mixture periodically, the extraction should reach equilibrium quite quickly, in max an hour. What's more useful to do is multiple repeats. Extract - filter - extract the same pulp with new solvent, around 3-5 times for best results. That way you get more of the substance out.

And yeah, thujone doesn't seem to be very recreational from its pharmacological data. GABA antagonist sounds pretty unpleasant to me (think benzo withdrawal).

Thanks for the info!

I've gotten to the point where I'm left with a liquid with a color like nothing I've seen before...
The color shifts from extremely deep non-transparent color to a somewhat transparent synthetic looking bright green color. It's actually quite interesting to look at. Haven't tried it yet though...
Thujone is used in the production of Absinthe and is also used for dreaming purposes.

OP, I understand that English is not your language, so I would encourage you to open up the forum guidelines that you agreed to when you joined, and use a translation application to try to get the full idea of what we are about here. We are about Harm Reduction, that is, the safe use of drugs by those who have already chosen to use them. I respect that you're trying to extract herbs and such, but it doesn't really fit in with our philosophy, rules or guidelines.

I have to close this to make room for Harm Reduction material.

Status
Not open for further replies.